03 Focus, No overdrive question - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-11-2007, 12:06 PM   #1
nekoashide
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 50156
What I Drive: 2010 Ford Focus S

FF Reputation: 1 nekoashide Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
03 Focus, No overdrive question

I have already searched for his and the failurecode is related to the Shift Solenoid C. The fluid looks dark and dirty. Would a good guess just be to replace the filter and have the transmission flushed and try resetting the PCM to see if that fixes it? Or just have the solenoids replaced and have the fluid and filter changed at the same time?

Basically what happened was i was driving along on the highway and the rpm's shot up. I discovered i had lost OD and autozone pulled the code for the shift solenoid. It drives fine without O/D but i dont want to do anymore damage.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2007, 01:10 PM   #2
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
You can try doing the filter, but lack of filter changes (every 30k miles, see your manual) could have caused the selenoid to fail if it's channel is clogged from derbis.

Eventually I hope to write a How-to on this because lately it's seemed popular, and I have a car (victim) in mind for it. However, I don't see the need in doing it before he reaches 30k.

There are 2 ways of doing this. The first is the messy way which is drop the pan in such a way that it drains from one side. You'll need a kitty litter box for either method to catch any dripping fluid. You'll also want an oil drain pan- or some other container to transport the used fluid to your local recycler station. Most auto parts stores offer fluid recycling stations, or your local service station shouldn't care much if you dump there.

Method 1- drop the pan, replace the filter. The filter either pops in place, or is held in place by 2 screws. A gasket should come with the filter, if no gasket then use RTV.

Method 2- Drain all the transmission fluid before dropping the pan to replace the filter using the transmission as a pump. Disconnect either the top hose or the bottom hose leading from the transmission to the radiator. The top hose is fluid coming from the transmission, the bottom hose is fluid returning to the transmission. If you disconnect the top hose, attatch a section of hose to the hose, if you disconnect the bottom hose then attatch a section of hose to the outlet at the radiator. To disconnect either hose: slide the collar forward, push the clip, and pull back on the collar to release the hose. Then route your attatched hose to a bucket and secure the hose as well as the bucket. Then turn on the engine and allow it to idle. Do not rev the engine during the process. The fluid will drain out very quickly, so keep an eye on it. You will need more fluid using this method because it will drain ALL the fluid in the transmission whereas the other method will only drain the fluid in the pan. Approx 7 qts for this method, and 3-4 qts for the other method. If you're using this method it would be best to warm the engine before doing this to reduce idle speed, and also watch carefully because it can damage the transmission if you allow it to run for a while after the transmission fluid is drained completely. The benefits of this method are less spillage, and a higher percentage of fluid replacement.

I hope that helps, and fixes your shift problem. Don't use any special additives, and if you do decide to use an exotic fluid- I'd only recommend Amsoil's ATF. My uncle has had good experiences with this in heavy duty mass transportation vehicles.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:47 PM   #3
nekoashide
Focus Enthusiast

I got the solenoids on order, I'll just replace them at the same time. My line of thinking is dropping the pan changing the filter and solenoids and put back in enough fluid to get it to the dealership for a flush. It's most likely not the smartest way but i'll atleast have the filter and solenoids changed.

How hard is it to get them off though? I the pictures i have seen show the leads and shows them held on with 1 bolt. just that simple?
Old 09-11-2007, 10:13 PM   #4
Pistonbroke
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 42552
What I Drive: Black 2000 ZX3 mtx

FF Reputation: 1 Pistonbroke Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
We just had an 02 Focus at the shop with a code 0750 -shift solenoid A.
Also neutralizes in OD. Check the resistance of the solenoids, should be between 12 and 30 ohms. This is first Focus auto we've had in with a problem.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:17 PM   #5
nekoashide
Focus Enthusiast

It will prolly be tuesday before i'm able to get under it and check the solenoids. I'm betting it's electrcal failure rather then mechanical though. I'll see about taking pic's when i do it though and what i found was wrong.

I'd hate replacing one just to see another fail in a few thousand miles though but they are expensive.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:02 PM   #6
nekoashide
Focus Enthusiast

My code was Shift Solenoid A failure, I decided it was best to replace A, B, And C at the same time. In doing so i just dropped the pan and they were right there. I removed the filter and the job was amazingly simple.

A and B are held in place by a single bolt. Once you disconnect the wire remove the bolt and just pull on them till thep pop out and place the new ones in it's place and tighten the bolt back on.

C is a little more tricky. It's held in place by a bracket that also holds the other 2 solenoids on the other side. Just remove the 4 bolts and the bracket slides off. At that point the solenoid just pulls straight out. Replace it and fasten the bracket back into place.

As far as fluid goes, in all i replaced only 3 quarts when it was all done. I'll have a flush done later but the car runs and shifts fine now. In all I'd have to give this a 3 on the 10 scale of difficulty.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:06 PM   #7
Dcl2049
MyCarBreaksAlot

Fan#: 18957
What I Drive: 2002 Malibu Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 69 Dcl2049 Excellent Standing Member
Yeah I just got a performance valve body from Lentech. Easy swap.
Dan - gumpcrew #4
[BBS][Borla][Focus Central][Hella][K&N][Koni][Lentech][Wings West]
#23 STS Wiregrass Region SCCA
Old 11-09-2007, 05:09 PM   #8
afroggy69
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 51456
What I Drive: 2002 red focus

FF Reputation: 1 afroggy69 Good Standing Member
i have the same solenoid A code. I was wondering where you were able to purchase these's solenoid's. The auto parts stores I have tried say these's parts are dealer items. I would love to find them cheaper.

thank you,
afroggy69

Bookmarks & Social Networks