HOW TO: change your oil - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-08-2007, 07:34 PM   #1
cruzstyle
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12277
What I Drive: 2005 white focus zx3

FF Reputation: 5 cruzstyle Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
HOW TO: change your oil

we have one of these but some people still ask so heres one with a few pictures

THIS IS FOR A DURATEC MOTOR

1. tools- 3/8 DR ratchet, 3/4 socket, oil filter remover, zip lock bag, ramps or jack and jack stands, oil drain pan, 4.5 quarts of oil, oil filter

2.pull car onto rams. (in my case my car is to low so i ahve to drive onto 2x4's first then the rams)

3. remove oil plug

4. once plug is removed and oil is draining into oil drain pan start to remove oil filter and once its loose ( meaning able to remove the rest by hand) place a plastic bag over it so once it starts to pour over it drains into teh bag and not on you

5. once u place the new filter back on (dont forget to spread a thin coat of oil on the oil filter rubber seal) you can undo your oil cap and pour your oil. i place a rag around the opening since i dont use a funnel and in case i miss a little bit

6.once u pour 4 quarts run your car to let it fill the filter and then you can check for any leaks.

7. if theres no leaks take your car off the ramps and shut it off.

8. top off if needed and your done

Last edited by cruzstyle; 09-09-2007 at 09:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2007, 08:05 PM   #2
miniboon
Dehawkified

Fan#: 35233
What I Drive: 2005 Impreza 2.5 RS

FF Reputation: 42 miniboon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
just for completeness sake, you should include the step to replace the oil drain plug.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:18 PM   #3
jboylan
Focus Addict

Fan#: 5755
What I Drive: 2003 Silver SVT SVT Squad#

FF Reputation: 1 jboylan Good Standing Member
I like using the box from the new filter instead of a ziplock bag. It also comes in handy if you are changing the oil while the engine is still hot. I sure do miss changing the oil in my old K5. It had a remote filter right behind the headlight, and I could reach the drain bolt without having to even lay down
Old 09-08-2007, 08:42 PM   #4
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Duratecs are easy, the filter is the first thing you see when you look under the radiator. From what I've heard the Zetecs are horrible to change oil in- I'd see about finding some place to put a remote filter on those if it was so hard. I'm considering the same thing for my mom's Pontiac Montana- but only because there's no way to get it out without dripping oil all over the starter- thanks GM for lack of engineering. A simple angled attatchment would save so much trouble.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:12 PM   #5
Foci_Fosho
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 5736
What I Drive: 2003 White zx3 2.3L

FF Reputation: 16 Foci_Fosho Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
For the least messy oil filter drain... remove the oil first.
Have your drain or catch can under-neat.. Using a Large Screw and a hammer.
Puncture the bottom (it's soft metal)
only takes 3-4 hard taps..

The large threads on the screw will prevent it from penetrating the filter, at the same time, it'll hold back the oil from making a mess.
Remove screw and drop hammer.
Let Oil drain free... and twist filter off.

and I also happen to change my oil filter 5K miles after the oil change, then change the oil and filter at 10K miles. Yes the oil does not pour out of the block... another cool trick, because ford knew we'd be using the good stuff that's good for 10K miles, and having an oil filter only good for 5K miles.

prolly even a tab bit more so, for those like myself, with the Balance-shaft removed, having some additional oil in the pan.
(of course this depends on various factors such as engine, road and climate conditions)

Edit: Amsoil filters say they are good for 25,000 miles... well according to one of theirs on their website.
But still replacing the Oil filter before replacing the synthetic oil, that's often times good for 7,500 miles, or 15,000 miles (says mobil 1), Is a good habit.

also those like myself, with the Balance-shaft removed on the 2.3 liter, have that additional oil circulating around, I am sure that's good for some longer drain intervals...
Old 09-08-2007, 09:42 PM   #6
Silas
Focus Addict

Fan#: 37971
What I Drive: 2000 Silver LX

FF Reputation: 4 Silas Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
make note for noobs that this is for the dtecs....the spi only takes 3.78 L or so of oil...zetecs i donno their capacity.

SEDAN REVOLUTION #14
Old 09-09-2007, 12:26 AM   #7
cjmartinyZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 17617
What I Drive: 01 black zx3

FF Reputation: 2 cjmartinyZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Great write up Sir, i see you are using the best oil in the world :D
Old 09-09-2007, 05:25 AM   #8
nepafocus03
Focus Addict

Fan#: 42021
FF Reputation: 1 nepafocus03 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
how hard is it to do a zetec? ive never done mine not bc im like slow or something i just live on a really busy street thats narrow and we have to park there. i used to do it on my 95 pontiac grand prix and it was so ewasy it wasnt even funny. now i just take it somewhere well so i dont get run over and die. but is it hard to do?
Old 09-09-2007, 05:29 AM   #9
miniboon
Dehawkified

Fan#: 35233
What I Drive: 2005 Impreza 2.5 RS

FF Reputation: 42 miniboon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
its so easy to do. changing oil is changing oil. the filter is a little tricky to get an arm up to, and some oil is probably going to drip on some parts of the car from the horrible location, but its a sinch

Bookmarks & Social Networks