is transmission fluid power flush good ? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-06-2007, 11:58 AM   #1
leev
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 50037
What I Drive: 2003 dark blue zx5

FF Reputation: 1 leev Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
is transmission fluid power flush good ?

I own a Ford Focus 2003, automatic, 2.3 engine, 35,000 miles.
The maintanance schedule manual recommends a transmission fluid "change" every 30,000 miles.
The local Ford dealerships say this means a "power flush" (or flushing of the transmission fluid).
I think I understand the difference between a regular "change" and the "power flush" and
I also know there is some controversy about the "power flush" method.
Do you think the manual by using the word
"change" refers to just a change (drain old fluid and replace with new) or they refer to a "flush" ?
What do you recommend ?

Thank you !

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2007, 02:15 PM   #2
cafociguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 21858
What I Drive: 01 ZX3, 03 ZX3 PWSCed

FF Reputation: 46 cafociguy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Power flush sounds cooler and is probably more expensive, ha ha, on my old cars I always just drained and replaced, not sure.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:48 PM   #3
penguin
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 21700
What I Drive: 2005 Infrared ZXW

FF Reputation: 109 penguin Excellent Standing Member penguin Excellent Standing Member
I suspect that they are not really doing a "flush," in the sense that some sort of solvent or cleaning agent is used, but rather are using the word "flush" in the sense of a 100% fluid exchange, as opposed to a "drop the tranny pan" change, which typically only replaces 40-60% of the fluid.

I would not do any sort of real flush, but a 100% exchange is superior to the "drop the pan" method, except that the tranmission filter is not replaced and the pan/magnet is not inspected or cleaned.

I recommend alternating between a 100% fluid exchange method, and dropping the pan method, over the life of the vehicle.

Of course, the absolute best method would be to first do the drop the pan method, replacing the filter and cleaning the pan/magnet, then fill it up with cheap fluid and have a 100% exchange done. But this, IMHO, would not be cost-effective and is overkill. Hence the recommendation to alternate the methods.

Oh, and I might add that if the fluid is really bad, e.g., very dark with a burnt smell, then a 100% replacement method is definitely the way to go.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:11 PM   #4
DURATECoftheDesert
Subcompact Fanatic

Fan#: 43017
What I Drive: 1997 Ford Aspire White

FF Reputation: 9 DURATECoftheDesert Good Standing Member
This so called powerflush is good... But I never let ford touch my car.
Ford drains the fluid 100% with a replacement tranny filter, other small business shop do that to; and it's half the price on what ford offers.

So let me say this... U can do with ford for the full price to get the job done; or have a small business do the exact samething that ford does... but with more money in ur wallet.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:22 PM   #5
Xetchx
Focus Addict

Fan#: 49113
What I Drive: 03 Silver SVT

FF Reputation: 23 Xetchx Great Standing Member
Power flush- this should be the pump flush type thing. It's were they hook up a pump to your tranny and pump clean fluid in and pump out the old stuff untill it comes out clean. This is the only way to get a complete 100% fluid change. But as stated earlier it has a draw back the filter and magnet don't get changed or cleaned this way. The power flush is a good alternet for dropping the pan but shouldn't be done every time, that filter needs to be changed every once in awhile.

Edit: also this only works on a Auto tranny

and SPI you can never get 100% fluid change by dropping the pan, the converter holds alot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav-E2.0 View Post
I'm not hard, I'm fluffy...lol
Old 09-06-2007, 04:49 PM   #6
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,561, Level 98
Points: 27,561, Level: 98 Points: 27,561, Level: 98 Points: 27,561, Level: 98
Level Up 22% Completed
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Forum Activity 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Nevermind, I wrote all that stuff, then decided not to post it after reading further in the manual.

You can use the transmission to drain a portion of the fluid from the transmission and then add fluid if you want to flush it. This is done by disconnecting the lower transmission cooler hose (return) from the radiator, attatching a hose to the cooler outlet, then running that hose to a bucket. Turn the engine on, run it at idle until approximately 3 qts have been removed which should take less than 2 mins. Then add fluid to the fill point.

This is what the Helms manual recommends for fluid drain and refill. You can also do this before you try to replace the filter, but it is sure that there will still be fluid in the pan so prepare something to catch drips if you value your driveway or working area.

To remove the transmission line: push the connector forward, press the clip, and pull off.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:55 PM   #7
DomestikZx3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 20807
What I Drive: 94' Dodge ram 4wd

FF Reputation: 3 DomestikZx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
^^^ best way to it IMO the filter is good to be changed but is actually not a big deal, its supposed to be good up to 100k miles but its always good to check anyways.

im doing the ^^ this method this weekend if all goes well.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:51 PM   #8
goinloco1
Late for Dinner

Fan#: 8529
What I Drive: kermit

Points 14,656, Level 78
Points: 14,656, Level: 78 Points: 14,656, Level: 78 Points: 14,656, Level: 78
Level Up 52% Completed
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 90 goinloco1 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
drop the pan and change fluid and filter. either way you do it only 50-70% of the fluid is actually changed. many people seem to forget that the torque converter holds about half of the volume and unless the engine is running, the fluid stays in it and doesn't circulate.
always drop the pan and remove the filter to inspect it and what may be in the bottom of the pan. change filter, clean and put back together.
the power flush they use here involves removing the cooler lines and hooking up a machine which back flushes the system, not a real good idea.
reason... the filter traps particles right? well, if the fluid is flowing backward through it what happens to alot of those particles that were trapped?
Old 09-07-2007, 06:36 AM   #9
DomestikZx3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 20807
What I Drive: 94' Dodge ram 4wd

FF Reputation: 3 DomestikZx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
The method that whynotthinkwhynot had posted before me is a complete flush, it flushes the convertor also. its the same thing as those machine just without the machine and labor

Quote:
the power flush they use here involves removing the cooler lines and hooking up a machine which back flushes the system, not a real good idea.
reason... the filter traps particles right? well, if the fluid is flowing backward through it what happens to alot of those particles that were trapped?
since when is the fluid going backwards?
Old 09-07-2007, 06:45 AM   #10
gerryyy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 15001
What I Drive: 2006 ST Focus

Points 503, Level 10
Points: 503, Level: 10 Points: 503, Level: 10 Points: 503, Level: 10
Level Up 6% Completed
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 gerryyy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quick question aboout 5 spd manual tranmission. Do you change the fluid in those? I've got an 06 ST than just turned 12 K.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.