Stock Gauge Replacement with Aftermarket Gauges!! (wiring gurus please!) - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-05-2007, 10:05 PM   #1
honhon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 24778
What I Drive: a better car than a focus.

FF Reputation: 219 honhon Excellent Standing Member honhon Excellent Standing Member honhon Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (21)
Stock Gauge Replacement with Aftermarket Gauges!! (wiring gurus please!)

well... lets start off by saying... im calling speedhut tomorrow and demanding a refund. their gauge overlay shorted out on me while installed and trying to recalibrated... made nice sparks inside my 2007...

so i ripped it out... gave a few m-f's and put the stock one back together half way... as in i only recal the tach needle... i didnt feal like driving... to recal the speedo... but ill probably do that tomorrow in the day time...

BUT anyways... some of you may know... i have an autometer cobalt oil pressure and water temp guage in a pillar pod, and i just recently installed the cobalt wideband a/f ratio gauge on the steering column...

also i might add that'll help... i plan on keeping my 07 for awhile... i mean AWHILE as in... my car is a DD now... when it finally goes to the junkyard it'll be dead from racing..

but anyways... i am wanting to carry the cobalt gauges to my stock instrument..... prices arent too bad... to start i want the cobalt indash, speed and tach... then for a need... the fuel level gauge... then the volt meter... sinse i already have a water temp and oil pressure on my pillar...

im very capable of installing a nice looking panel for the gauges to rest in, in the stock surround..

but my question... will the haynes manual or whatever book be best to look at for wiring some of the idiot lights?

all for the idiot lights i think ill want are.... CEL... fuel tank light.... blinkers... high beam light... E-brake light... and maybe door light... i saw the plastic pieces on the stock cluster... so i was thinkin of cuttin the little symbols and sticking them over the lights i install so i wont have to label them...

but i should be able to get the signals out of the harness from the back correct? i.e. the harness?

also another question for wiring peoples... could i possibly find the sender wires for the fuel sender and the speedo sender? autometer claims the fuel can be used with stock sender(just have to get the correct resistance gauge) and the speedo works with most speed sensors...

im good at wiring 12v, so please dont doubt capabilites here... im just asking a few questions to get all my ducks in a row... this'll be the last big project before i start heading towards s/c(f2) or turbo(fs)...

if this happens... which i am 99.9% sure it will i will definately be sure to post pictures...

but please post any information you have or point me in the correct direction for the information i need...

thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2007, 11:34 PM   #2
killer ZETEC
GL1TCH

Fan#: 44757
What I Drive: advance trac french blue 03 zx3

FF Reputation: 42 killer ZETEC Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
maybe.. i don't know. i am want ing to do the same with speed hut ones (a little cheaper for me) my guess is to pull the cluster out and turn the key to acc when all the idiot lights come on. then take a bulb and fid out by inserting wire into the ends that go in which wire run which. or call ford up for a diagram
will it run soon?? who knows.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2007, 12:28 AM   #3
Blackcatn2o
soon to be turbo!

Fan#: 48278
What I Drive: 06 silver ZX4 ST

FF Reputation: 48 Blackcatn2o Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
hahahahaha
Old 09-06-2007, 08:25 AM   #4
SilverDuratecZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10220
What I Drive: 2004 CD Silver ZX3, 2.3L

FF Reputation: 4 SilverDuratecZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Would it be easier to find a gauge face that would match the Cobalts? True, they would only be as accurate as the factory ones, but it would be a lot less work.

"No meat on Fridays? What do they eat? Light Bulbs?"
-Homer Simpson on Catholics & their "crazy rules"
Old 09-06-2007, 12:07 PM   #5
honhon
Focus Fanatic

FF Reputation: 219 honhon Excellent Standing Member honhon Excellent Standing Member honhon Excellent Standing Member
thats what i tried to do... i got a speedhut face to match as close to the cobalts as much as possible... BUT during the install it shorted out... and plus coupled with the fact that speedhut just plain forgot about my order made me mad in the first place...

autometer hasnt let me down yet.... so i am talking with them now to see what i need to do....
Old 09-06-2007, 03:42 PM   #6
killer ZETEC
GL1TCH

Fan#: 44757
What I Drive: advance trac french blue 03 zx3

FF Reputation: 42 killer ZETEC Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
shouldn't be that hard. my guess is the most dificult thing would be making the mount for all the gauges (what do you have in mind? my ideas kinda suck right now, lol)
will it run soon?? who knows.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:37 PM   #7
honhon
Focus Fanatic

welll i have 2 big sheets of 1/8 alluminum in my locker at work... im sure with some flat black paint i could make it look good...

my guess for my gauges... i should be able to get all my signals at the ECU harness... sinse everything does go to it... even the speed

sensors...

this may happen rather quickly also... as in the next 2 weeks... my g/f may get me early b-day presents which will consist of 2 of the 3 guages i need and ill be purchasing the 3rd gauge
Old 09-06-2007, 07:59 PM   #8
honhon
Focus Fanatic

i just got a good e-mail from autometer... they said their service department will "add" miles to the speedometer's odometer... sooooo if i park my car for a few days while i send my auto meter speedometer to them i can actually have the same exact mileage shown! so it wont start at 0...

so its lookin better everyday... i reassembled my stock cluster today... recald the last 2 needles when i got home from work just for temperoary usage until this project is done... i cant wait! first thing i need to get is a haynes manual or schematics of the wires going to the ecu...
Old 09-06-2007, 08:05 PM   #9
HaveBlue83

Fan#: 1358
What I Drive: a car

FF Reputation: 70 HaveBlue83 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
dude...autometer has been at this for how long??? they are the masters...I have my oil and water temp in Autometer NV's.......LOVE THEM......

I'd stick with autometer. it's the standard........... PICTS when you do it!!!!
Old 09-06-2007, 10:44 PM   #10
honhon
Focus Fanatic

yeah... tomorrow im gonna give speedhut a call and try and start the refund process... that'll be money for the tach driver...

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.