Overheating Problem - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-03-2007, 01:57 PM   #1
JDSVT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 49707
What I Drive: 2002 Black Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 JDSVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Overheating Problem

This is some weird stuff here.
Im driving along in traffic and the radiator fans wont come on,have to wait awhile stopped and car goes into the red zone so i turn on the air and then the fans start working. anyone got a clue what my problem is? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2007, 09:51 AM   #2
JDSVT
Focus Enthusiast

Bump
Old 09-05-2007, 10:07 AM   #3
penguin
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 21700
What I Drive: 2005 Infrared ZXW

FF Reputation: 109 penguin Excellent Standing Member penguin Excellent Standing Member
Most likely the fan resistor located in the front radiator shroud area, possibily the fan relays have a problem.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:24 AM   #4
jrgtrain
Focus Addict

Fan#: 29105
What I Drive: 2000 Dirt Brown Kona ZX3

FF Reputation: 9 jrgtrain Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Most likely the resistor. Instead of replacing just the resistor you will need to replace the wiring that goes with the resistor. I think they call it the "thermistor pack". I had the same problem.

The headers are so close to the wiring that after awhile it just melts them. This short makes it so that the 1st fan does not come on, causing the overheating problem.

Straight lines are for fast cars...Turns are for fast drivers
Old 09-05-2007, 11:35 AM   #5
JDSVT
Focus Enthusiast

Thanks, its strange usually when a car overheats you have to turn off the air and put on the heat, here i have to turn on the air to get it to cool off lol
Old 09-05-2007, 11:41 AM   #6
JDSVT
Focus Enthusiast

yeah im thinkin its the whole pack thing, it does get freaking hot right there, thats a bad location for electrical connections. Thanks
Old 09-05-2007, 12:36 PM   #7
penguin
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 21700
What I Drive: 2005 Infrared ZXW

FF Reputation: 109 penguin Excellent Standing Member penguin Excellent Standing Member
> Thanks, its strange usually when a car overheats you have to turn off the air and put on the heat, here i have to turn on the air to get it to cool off

That's from the old days before electrical fans, when the fan ran off the engine and it's speed was linked with the engine speed.

Nowadays when you turn on your air conditioner, you typically automatically turn on an additional electrical fan, or increase the speed of the fan.

Another change is that in the old days if an engine was overheating at idle, increasing the RPM a bit would cool it down (by increasing the fan speed). Nowadays, with electrical fans, this just makes the voerheating problem worse.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:25 PM   #8
jmb3675
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 50012
What I Drive: 2001 silver se

FF Reputation: 1 jmb3675 Good Standing Member
my 2001 focus zetec started that today. the gauge goes to the red at low speed or idle. according to the scan tool both fans are coming on at 257 degrees. then it cools to 224 and the gauge goes back to the middle. and both fans turn off. it got a new thermostat housing 5000 miles ago and a new water pump 4000 miles ago. i will have to try the resistor.

whats funny is i had to replace my housing at 100,500 miles. i just did my ex-wifes focus today at 99,700 miles. and a freinds last week at 100,200 miles. sure sounds like a timed failure to me.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:46 PM   #9
JDSVT
Focus Enthusiast

I only have 42k on my car, with the air on i have both fans, without none..??..
Old 09-05-2007, 08:28 PM   #10
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDSVT View Post
I only have 42k on my car, with the air on i have both fans, without none..??..
If the fans work at all, I'd say the resistor is ok. How's your temp sensor? In the old days of OBD1 Ford used two temp sensors- one for gauges, and one for the computer. I'm not sure how the SVT engine is wired, but I'd look into that.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->