Quick ? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-29-2008, 12:08 AM   #1
jetrinka
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 45622
What I Drive: 88 5-speed XR4TI

FF Reputation: 180 jetrinka Excellent Standing Member jetrinka Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Quick ?

So just a little question here. I am going to be doing a full suspension install for SEFOC05 here soon. I believe the car came from the east coast and it has a bit of rust on the front suspension which I have seen. Haven't actually looked at the problematic rear lower control arm bolts yet but it worries me a little. I have heard some of you use your spring compressors to compress the spring right in the arm and remove it. The compressor I have is one of these.
http://www.partsamerica.com/productd...egoryCode=3492

Works well but just wanted an opinion on if you think these will work to compress them out right in the arm or which tool should be used. If I have to buy another tool its ok. Love adding to my collection. Descriptions and pictures of tools or procedures would be nice as well. Installed my SVT springs no problem on my car but it also didn't have any rust.... lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2008, 12:14 AM   #2
nate2006
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 35913
What I Drive: 2000 Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 4 nate2006 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I believe you are going to need a spring compressor instead or a strut compressor.

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...egoryCode=3492
Old 07-29-2008, 12:18 AM   #3
jetrinka
Focus Fanatic

FF Reputation: 180 jetrinka Excellent Standing Member jetrinka Excellent Standing Member
Good to know. Yeah that tool looks a bit more able than mine. I was worried that mine not be able to reach in far enough and still be able to get a wrench on the bottom to compress it....

Although it looks like that tool goes inside the spring to compress it correct? I wonder if I could even fit it inside the spring...
Old 07-29-2008, 12:39 AM   #4
nate2006
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 35913
What I Drive: 2000 Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 4 nate2006 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Yeah it goes into the middle of the spring. I am not sure how well it will work on the Focus though. I considered it when I put the SVT suspension on my ZX3 but I got lucky and was able to break the LCA bolts loose. They were pretty rusted. Maybe someone else has used one and can chime in.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:50 AM   #5
nov173
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 29840
What I Drive: 2014 Focus ST

FF Reputation: 79 nov173 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
i just tried to break my lca's loose on sunday... even with my impact wrench on the highest setting the bolt didn't even budge... a lot of people i know say their bolts move with the bushing... LOL mine sure didn't. My pass shock bolt was seized as well... but a lil heat on the bolt broke that loose.. i too got a internal compressor i am going to use for the rear springs... i don't want to get new lca's... so i am going to compress the spring out of there.. i know it can be done, cuz ppl have done it on here and in the Haynes manual it states to do it that way anyway. I don't have a lot of rust at all underneath and i live in Pittsburgh, Pa with a lot of salt and rain.

You'rs is a 05? so i wouldn't think you "should" have much trouble releasing those bolts... but you never know man.

For Sale: Rear bumper(stock). SVT side skirts FS as well. Buy em!!!!
Old 07-29-2008, 11:46 AM   #6
Insane
Adam

Fan#: 51468
What I Drive: 2003 Infra Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 41 Insane Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
If you do decide to take the lower control arms bolts out (which i dont recongmend) and they are seized to the bushing you'll be looking at the following: $60 for new bolts, washings, and nuts $120 or $140(svt) for both depending if its a SVT or not and $60 or so to have it aligned. maybe 100-150 to have someone just put the parts in if you don't do it. I've learned this the hard way.
-Zetec Crew #215
Volant Intake, SVT Snorkle, By past A/C, AFX UDP, Copper Plugs, 9mm Plug Wires, Toms Tune, Roush springs/shocks/struts, Eibach Sway-Bars, C-F-M Racing Lower Engine Mount.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:26 PM   #7
jetrinka
Focus Fanatic

Well I am planning on doing it. Did a full suspension on my ST from springs to bars and wasn't a problem. I guess I will just have to look and find an internal spring compressor to get those babies out.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:30 PM   #8
nov173
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 29840
What I Drive: 2014 Focus ST

FF Reputation: 79 nov173 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
i will be doing this soon as i get the compressor in ... and i'll take pics too for ppl.. cuz i know there aren't pics of the process on here.. or atleast any that i have seen.

For Sale: Rear bumper(stock). SVT side skirts FS as well. Buy em!!!!
Old 07-29-2008, 01:32 PM   #9
jetrinka
Focus Fanatic

Hey that would be great man. Probably won't be doing this for a couple weeks or so.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:00 PM   #10
honhon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 24778
What I Drive: a better car than a focus.

FF Reputation: 219 honhon Excellent Standing Member honhon Excellent Standing Member honhon Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (21)
jetrinka, dont spend that much money, this is what you need:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Exter...3286.m14.l1318

i bought mine awhile back when they were just 9.99$ plus shipping... they work fine.

and just an FYI... you need an external spring compressor... an internal would be for like an older car where the spring was squished inbetween the arms.

Bookmarks & Social Networks