Central locking problems - Finally a solution! - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-21-2008, 04:57 AM   #21
Pingouin
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 53619
What I Drive: Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Pingouin Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I'm not surprised: I've got a British car, so my driver door (which is the one that had the problem all along) is your passenger door (which just started having the problem) :)
I still didn't get time to take my lock out, but hopefully soon. In the meantime, I can still use the key in the driver's door, so it's not all that bad for me.
Since you are an expert, you're welcome to do the 2000 miles return trip to fix mine :p
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2008, 03:21 AM   #22
Bønna
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 59691
What I Drive: 1999 Dark blue

FF Reputation: 1 Bønna Good Standing Member
Update 2: The passenger was fixed yesterday in the same manner. The microswitch on the passenger side was soaked in the same type of stiff grease, rinsed and lubricated with WD40. It now works, but the drivers door is not working any more, even in room temp.
Can some grease have moved down from parts inside the locking unit onto the microswitch again, or are we facing some kind of multiple error ?

Any tips from experts will be greatly appreciated !
Old 11-10-2008, 02:36 PM   #23
tomFS08
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 60493
What I Drive: 2002 ford focus

FF Reputation: 1 tomFS08 Good Standing Member
There's a lot of talk about WD40. Anyone tried another lubricant to get the job done?

I work for Jig-A-Loo and am interested if anyone has tried the product and I'm free to answer any questions about it. It's a sillicone based lubricant and water-repellent. It can be used like WD40, but since it contains on grease, oil or wax, it's much safer and won't cause build up.

If anyone is interested, we are letting people try it out for free (to see for themselves if they want to make the switch). Head to http://www.jigaloo.com/us/e_tryonefree.php for the downloable rebate form.

Thanks,
Tom with Jig-A-Loo
Old 11-26-2008, 09:15 AM   #24
focus2001user
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 60849
What I Drive: 2001 SILVER FOCUS

FF Reputation: 1 focus2001user Good Standing Member
Central Locking

@Exsodius
Can the red dot (to apply the WD40) be accessed without taking the latch lock mechenism out of the door?

Quote:
Originally Posted by exsodius View Post
Problem solved!

My central lock has worked fine for a month now. Even when its raining or are cold.

What i found after cleaning the lock mechanism was that it has a microswitch like in your PC mouse buttoms. In picture you see the black switch with the red dot on it. This red dot is a water proof rubber seal for the switch pin. This red seal made the switch pin hang when it was cold. In my case it was full of grease. I measured the switch with a multimeter. When pin is pushed inside the doors are locked, when the pin is out the doors are open. So what happend was that when unlocking the car the switch stayed closed. And the other doors sent a negative signal that was telling the driverdoor that they were unlocked. Then you had two negative signals making a short circuit. And then all doors stopped working. So i believe many focuses have this problem. And have probaly changed the whole unit with a new one. But that is expensive.....

Tip: Clean and spray microswitch with WD-40 if you have this problem.

Last edited by focus2001user; 11-26-2008 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Highlight text
Old 05-31-2009, 04:22 PM   #25
Pingouin
Focus Rookie

After one year, I eventually moved to a place with a driveway!
So I got around to take my door apart, found and sprayed clean the microswitch, and my central locking is working again!
So thanks to everyone around for the great tips
Old 10-28-2009, 06:36 PM   #26
exsodius
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 14827
What I Drive: 2002 Silver 1.6 Wagon

Points 7,116, Level 55
Points: 7,116, Level: 55 Points: 7,116, Level: 55 Points: 7,116, Level: 55
Level Up 83% Completed
Level up: 83% Level up: 83% Level up: 83%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 exsodius Good Standing Member
Great! Wonder if ford has changed/ improved these microswitches in a new doorlock part today?
Old 03-22-2010, 05:35 AM   #27
Bønna
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 59691
What I Drive: 1999 Dark blue

FF Reputation: 1 Bønna Good Standing Member
Im afraid not, same sympthoms in my 5 year newer Mondeo this winter, below -10.
It even lock itself with the motor running ! Spooky !
Old 03-22-2010, 06:12 AM   #28
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 9,889, Level 66
Points: 9,889, Level: 66 Points: 9,889, Level: 66 Points: 9,889, Level: 66
Level Up 60% Completed
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 70 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Posted via FF MobileI worry about closing adoor with the key in for that reason!
Old 03-22-2010, 01:20 PM   #29
exsodius
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 14827
What I Drive: 2002 Silver 1.6 Wagon

Points 7,116, Level 55
Points: 7,116, Level: 55 Points: 7,116, Level: 55 Points: 7,116, Level: 55
Level Up 83% Completed
Level up: 83% Level up: 83% Level up: 83%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 exsodius Good Standing Member
In english:

This problem will come back unless you keep spraying som wd-40 on the microswitch. I have made it simple to do. Just have the lowest screw on the door unscrewed all the the time. You know the 3 torx screws at the door lock. Now i can spray wd-40 in that hole whenever i want. It works very good, i can even hear a click from the central lock while spraying. And then it suddenly works again. It would have been nice if i could find a spray that is better than the wd-40 so i wouldn't need to spray it once a month.

In norwegian:

Problemet kommer tilbake så lenge du ikke smører mikrobryteren. Jeg har gjort det så enkelt nå at jeg har den nederste skruen av de 3 skruene på låsen i døren utskrudd hele tiden. Så nå er det bare ett hull der som jeg kan spraye inn wd-40 når jeg vil. Det fungerer så bra at jeg til og med hører mens jeg sprayer ett klikk fra sentrallåsen nå den plutselig virker igjen. Det er bare litt wd-40 som skal til. Hvis jeg hadde funnet en spray som var bedre hadde jeg sikkert ikke trengt og gjort det 1 gang i mnd.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:55 AM   #30
Pingouin
Focus Rookie

Yep, my fixed central locking stopped working few months ago again. I'll have to try your tip exsodius, although IIRC, the bottom screw hole is nowhere near to the switch, so I guess that you need a WD-40 flood for anything to happen :( Still worth trying since I don't fancy taking the door apart again.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.