Driver-side low beam not working (2001 SE) - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-28-2014, 02:58 PM   #1
patar
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 151858
What I Drive: 2001 black focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 patar Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Driver-side low beam not working (2001 SE)

Hey all, first time here... having some issues with my car and this seemed to be the best place to get some help.

I've recently gotten my license and my dad has given me the family's old 2001 Focus to drive. Unfortunately, money's been tight for years so he hasn't really been able to maintain the car and there are a few issues with it. the first I am trying to address (since I got pulled over for it lol) is that the driver-side main light is not working.

To clarify: When I put the lights on using the light-selector dial, all of the lights come on for all of the options, except the drivers-side low beam. High-beams work fine on both sides. The passenger side works fine. My dad said he replaced the headlight that was been out of order and it still didn't work.

From what I could gather around the internet, the typical causes are a blown fuse, or a faulty selector switch right?

What other culprits should I look at? If it is a busted fuse for only the drivers side, would the high beams and other lights still be working? Should I replace the light-selector dial completely?

I appreciate any feedback. This is my first car and I don't think my dad ever really worked on it before, so I'm kinda on my own here.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2014, 03:58 PM   #2
Marde
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 115991
What I Drive: 2004 ZTW PZEV 2.3 ATX

FF Reputation: 7 Marde Good Standing Member
Hi. I'm not sure about the 2001, but my headlight system is like this;

Total of 5 fuses
One fuse protects the whole system (yours is good)
One fuse is for drivers side low beam (yours might be blown)
One fuse is for drivers side high beam (yours is good)
One fuse is for passenger side low beam (yours is good)
One fuse is for passenger side high beam (yours is good)

Someone else might come along and tell you the exact fuse number and location. Until then, do you have an owners manual? You can get that info there. If not, check here->
http://www.focusplanet.com/
Old 03-28-2014, 05:05 PM   #3
patar
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 151858
What I Drive: 2001 black focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 patar Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marde View Post
Hi. I'm not sure about the 2001, but my headlight system is like this;

Total of 5 fuses
One fuse protects the whole system (yours is good)
One fuse is for drivers side low beam (yours might be blown)
One fuse is for drivers side high beam (yours is good)
One fuse is for passenger side low beam (yours is good)
One fuse is for passenger side high beam (yours is good)

Someone else might come along and tell you the exact fuse number and location. Until then, do you have an owners manual? You can get that info there. If not, check here->
http://www.focusplanet.com/
Yeah, I think its fuse 17, there's a diagram in the lid of the fuse box so I'm gunna grab some needlenose pliers and check the fuse.

If it's blown it'll be burnt right?

If it's not the fuse, where do I look next?
Old 03-28-2014, 05:11 PM   #4
Marde
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 115991
What I Drive: 2004 ZTW PZEV 2.3 ATX

FF Reputation: 7 Marde Good Standing Member
it may not look burnt, so you need to check it with a multimeter. Swing by a local parts store and they can check it for you for free.

The problem should be the fuse. If not, you do some visual inspections of the wiring, then will likely need a wire diagram and a multimeter.

Edit: and you gotta check that the headlight bulb/lamp is good. You could change it using the one on the drivers side. Also, sometimes a blown fuse "tells you" that your wiring is messed up and is needing repair.

Last edited by Marde; 03-28-2014 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Edit: and you gotta check that the headlight bulb/lamp is good

Bookmarks & Social Networks