HD DVD vs. Blu Ray, round 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Off-Topic Discussions > Gaming Fanatics

Gaming Fanatics The place to discuss information on the latest video games, cheats, strategies and consoles.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

View Poll Results: Which format you you have
Blu-Ray 5 31.25%
HD DVD 3 18.75%
Both 2 12.50%
Neither until it's one format.... 5 31.25%
.... and players are $150 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-20-2007, 07:19 PM   #1
gmoffat
Focus Addict

Fan#: 2667
What I Drive: 2003 French Blue Metallic ZX3 5-Spd

FF Reputation: 1 gmoffat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
HD DVD vs. Blu Ray, round 2

Back when the new format wars just started, HD DVD had Universal Studios as the lone format that was exclusive to them, Paramount and Warner Brothers were neutral, releasing movies on both formats, and Blu-Ray had exclusive support from the rest of the studios. There's been stories lately of how "bad" HD DVD is doing (I say "bad" because movies on both formats combined are selling less per week than "Employee of the Month" did on it's first day, neither is coming out with huge numbers), with Blu-Ray outselling it 2:1 in the first half of the year, echoing numbers coming out that 300, which was released on both formats, which sold at a rate of 2:1, BR:HD. It didn't look real good for HD DVD, being an owner of the 360 add-on my self. Then today I see that Paramount along with Dreamworks have announced their exclusive support for HD DVD. Want HD Transformers? Only on HD DVD. How about HD Shrek? Only HD DVD. Along with all their Star Trek movies that could potentially come on HD DVD, I was pretty happy. That's a nice little victory for Team Red.

Think about it, though. Everything I've read says that BR was beating HD. Paramount was format-neutral. Wouldn't it have made more sense for them to go Blu instead? I wonder if there was something that Sony was doing to them or wasn't doing for them that made them go HD DVD. Interesting note that I found out today is that they originally were going to exclusively back HD DVD, and ended up changing their minds and going neutral. It's one of those things that make you go "hmmm..." (I hope that song is in your head now )

I also have a Blu-Ray player on the PS3, so I don't care which side "wins" that much. And I don't even think one side will win at all. Combo player like LG's and the one Samsung is about to release will be the norm. Both sides will have cheap players out by Christmas, so both formats will have a fairly good sized install base and many discs sold, so no one is going to want to let their format die. Especially Sony, who thinks UMD is on the upswing and doing better than last year, so they're going to see how much money they can beat out of that horse. They won't let Blu-Ray go away, especially since it's in about 5 million PS3's right now.

And I don't think you can say that's 5 million Blu-ray players, either. There was something I read saying that only 40% of people who own a PS3 know it has a Blu-Ray player on it. And of those 40%, how many actually use it for that? Not to rag on the PS3. I like it now that I got it. Wish it was a little cheaper, though. And a quick Google search will get you those numbers. I'm to lazy to do it right now.

Thoughts? Comments?

Futurama returns!!!
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2007, 08:06 PM   #2
CKA
*~*

Fan#: 2313
What I Drive: '02 ZTS/'99 Explorer/'13 Fusion

FF Reputation: 74 CKA Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (24)
I like both.
Blu-Ray awesome, but expensive.

HD good quality.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:54 PM   #3
JohnMichael
Michael J. Caboose

Fan#: 21469
What I Drive: Black Hemi Ram & Honda Shadow VT600

FF Reputation: 7 JohnMichael Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I can't be sure, but I'm pretty sure I would go with HD just to spite Sony...

O'er Pirates from the Black of Pitch
Old 08-21-2007, 08:55 AM   #4
FleaWannaBe
WHITE ON BLACK :)

Fan#: 45837
What I Drive: 2005 White ZX3

FF Reputation: 2 FleaWannaBe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
i have blueray and 300 is so fing baddass. Spartans!!!!!!
Old 08-22-2007, 06:29 PM   #5
gmoffat
Focus Addict

Fan#: 2667
What I Drive: 2003 French Blue Metallic ZX3 5-Spd

FF Reputation: 1 gmoffat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/2007...pcworld/136253
That's an interview with the CTO of Paramount on why they went with HD DVD.

Futurama returns!!!
Old 09-04-2007, 07:27 AM   #6
DFv2
WWTPD?

Fan#: 42684
What I Drive: 2008 Lightning Red STi

FF Reputation: 31 DFv2 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Seeing that the PS3 is (currently) well known as the *best* blu-ray player availible, it just makes sense for a majority of that market (people with HDTV's, people with money to spend, etc) to go with blu-ray.

Personally, I think the format war is plain retarded, and the consumer is losing out. It comes down to the big corporations and production studios, and who can throw more money at who. All we want to do is move to unified HD - and we can't.

Where huge corporations with huge pocketbooks rule the roost, we will always lose out.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:50 PM   #7
fusi0n
Focus Addict

Fan#: 25694
What I Drive: 2002 Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 5 fusi0n Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Blu Ray because of PS3

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.