SPI shopping spree!! more power anyone? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > SPI Performance (2000-2004)

SPI Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Split Port Injection engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-24-2007, 08:33 AM   #1
Josh912
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 48940
What I Drive: 2000 White Focus w/ SPI and 5speed

FF Reputation: 1 Josh912 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Talking SPI shopping spree!! more power anyone?

Well I didn't think I'd be able to hold out long. Everytime I buy another car, I have to start upgrading and modding it. Especially because I only paid $800 for the foci anyhow, I figured I could afford to splurge on making it more fun to drive.

Ok I have bought an Iceman intake, 2.25" mandrel exhaust tubing, a magnaflow muffler, all of the associated high dollar band clamps, and a long tube header that comes with a 2.5" flex pipe. I also bought a mustang Tb to rig up.

Also I ordered a G-tech performance meter, so that I can have some idea of my gains over stock. According to focal jet the stock engine HPower is around 110, and I have a manual tranny so I shouldn't be far off but, when all of my parts and the G-tech get here, I will start by testing the car stock several times and I'll use the average as my starting numbers.

Ok I know what you guys are saying, where did I get that header, right? Like I was saying in another thread, I found a particular brand of zetec header that certainly looks to be modifiable to our spi, I am certain that I can mod it to fit, also it is designed to work with the orp so the orp will not need any mods at all. The guy I bought it from still has 4 or 5 of them so when I'm through I'll post a good how to.
The exhaust I bought is an off road racing exhaust system produced by roush racing products for the zx3, I am using info per the goodies list thread that says that it will only need an extra short peice of pipe on the tail end to fit our sedans, the system is basically 2 1/4" mandrel stainless tubing, with a stainless resonator and a cool roush tip, I figured that would be too loud so I bought a magnaflow muffler to go on it as well. Most of this I found on ebay. I didn't pay asking price on most of it, I have whatched these items be relisted for two weeks now, and I contacted the sellers and struck some deals.

I paid $185 after shipping was added for the header and flex pipe.

$100 + $34 shipping for the roush exhaust system

$63 free shiping for the magnaflow muffler

$30 after shipping for 2 stainless 3 inch band clamps

and $16 after shipping for a unversal 2 bolt flange weld on so that I can bolt to the flex

I figure, $50 - $75 for any fab work materials maybe (fab work will be done by myself)

So I figure an entire stainless steel long tube header, flex, 2.25" mandrel tubing, and a magnaflow high flow muffler, and a cool looking roush tip is a good deal for 500 bucks, actually less cause i added $75 bucks in there and I know I shouldn't need to buy anything else, I have welding wire, and I will use the tubing I cut out for the muffler to use on the end. I may need to buy a hanger but I doubt it.

With full exhaust and an intake, I will mod the tb and put it on.
I'm only looks at doing 5 other mods, in order I will get the efp underdrive pulley, the massive msx 80 ign., the roller cam from efp and a tuner from Tom.
and definately an bada clutch, any suggestions on the clutch guys? I will do one mod per month cause I budget my spending usually, lol.

I wanna do some more research there was an LSD listed on that goodies list, It was from europe though, we will see after all of this is in the car
I am hoping this will be enough to make me stop wanting to dump money into this car, but I doubt it, the more I mod the more I will like it.

Aslo if anyone knows the gross vehicle weight of a focus lx with an spi and mantran wouldja let me know cause my sticker is gone from inside the door jam.

So guys tell me what you think? How much power do you think I can make?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2007, 09:29 AM   #2
phord_phocus86
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 33505
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3 Base

FF Reputation: 3 phord_phocus86 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
I didn't even realize Quaife had a differential for the IB5. I haven't heard of anybody ever using it, but then again I never really looked. Quaife is supposed to be the better one, but according to a general consencus it seems that for the MTX-75 users the Torsen and the Quaife are more or less dead even. The Quaife is more, so I'm sure there is alot of psychological difference between the two, but that doesn't matter because I don't think Torsen makes one for the IB5.

I have diven an MTX-75 Focus with a Torsen and I was a little affraid to "really" try it out, but I did push it a little and let me tell you there is a difference. You won't notice a big difference until you push it, and when you do, it will leave you speachless.

I say absolutely get the Quaife, as a matter of fact- you have to now.

As for the clutch, I always like to be safe but in this case you're not going FI so stay with the stage 1 although I don't see it on CFM anymore I only see stage 2. I think BAT also has a Sachs kit too. I can't give you any feedback on those though since I don't knwo anything about the IB5.

I can't wait to see what your results are and congrats on the great deals.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:01 PM   #3
meanGREEN
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 48310
What I Drive: 2001 green Focus SPI Auto

FF Reputation: 1 meanGREEN Good Standing Member
dude whats the name of the header your moding... and is it from ebay..cuz on there they have one from hp racing and it says NON-zetech which im assuming means spi.. what you all think
Old 08-24-2007, 08:00 PM   #4
Josh912
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 48940
What I Drive: 2000 White Focus w/ SPI and 5speed

FF Reputation: 1 Josh912 Good Standing Member
nah I almost bought that one though, and He means Zetec, I talked to the seller about it, That is definately a zetec header if you look at the bolt pattern. but that is the first one i saw that would work. it should work after modding, and priced ok too. but I found a different brand with the same solid flange that I bought. it claims to be a focus central style. Though i looked at focus central headers online and they only share minor similarities. It the one that comes with the flex pipe. He has plenty of them so if you want to hold off until I get mine and let me be the test dummy, I will post as soon as it gets here and I hack it up, which should be kinda soon, mon or tues I think. Like I said before I'm certain that I can make it work pretty easily but, I don't want no one pissed off at me cause they were going from my advice and could make it work and waste their $$$$$. So I would wait for the write up and see if it seems to be what you wanna do first.

Also the guy with the roush exhaust system called me to verify my address, and I asked him if they any more of the kits available. he said that he had 9 or 10 of them in the wharehouse. At the price of just over $100 for mandrel tubing I think it's the cheapest quality exhuast kit out there for us, add the $63 magnaflow and it gets better, a badass catback system for under $200, it can't no better. Again, If I were you I'd wait for a write up.

Bookmarks & Social Networks