Fan problem - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-06-2007, 05:02 PM   #1
Big Will
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 42266
FF Reputation: 1 Big Will Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Fan problem

I have a 01 ZX3, I'm still getting familiar with my car, this is not a real big issue as I live in Az. My problem is that the cooling fan only comes on if the a/c is on, if its off the car will sit there and over heat, I am assuming this is just a relay problem, has this happened to anyone and if so can you tell me which relay it is? I did look at the fuse box and there was a few fan relays so wasn't sure which one to replace, was hoping someone else has had this problem, don't have a problem running the a/c all the time since its ALWAYS hot here, but occassionally I may turn it off and just sitting in traffic too long is gonna make this poor car heat up. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2007, 08:13 PM   #2
DURATECoftheDesert
Subcompact Fanatic

Fan#: 43017
What I Drive: 1997 Ford Aspire White

FF Reputation: 9 DURATECoftheDesert Good Standing Member
I would check the cooling system, the simplest thing is to flush and fill.
Try seeing a professional to see if it's actually a thermostat problem.

But the relay for the fan in the fuse box should be on the left hand side of the box...... I do believe.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:06 PM   #3
2003ZTS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 45334
What I Drive: 2003 gold zts

Points 115, Level 2
Points: 115, Level: 2 Points: 115, Level: 2 Points: 115, Level: 2
Level Up 30% Completed
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 2003ZTS Good Standing Member
To Fanatics
This problem you have is common, the pigtail connection to the fan itself is fried. Check that connection to see if you have burnt wires or burnt connector. If not you may have a relay problem. Please keep us posted on your problem. Hope this will help. Good luck on your fan problem . 2003 zts
Old 08-06-2007, 09:12 PM   #4
Big Will
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIoftheDesert View Post

But the relay for the fan in the fuse box should be on the left hand side of the box...... I do believe.

She only overheats when the fan doesn't kick on though, other that she runs fine and cool all the time, but thats typical of all cars. So I'm lead to believe its not a cooling issue, just a issue noit kicking on at stop when it should if I don't have the a/c on, isn't their a couple relays cause there is two fans, I coulda sworn I saw at least 3 relays that said fan, which is what really through me off.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:15 PM   #5
Big Will
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIoftheDesert View Post

Thanks I'll check that next, if it is a relay, anyone know which one is for the first fan, cause the secondary fan which is supposed to kick on when you have the a/c on, is the only one that is currently kicking on.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:29 PM   #6
reddragon151
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 37858
What I Drive: 2000 Red Dragon ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 reddragon151 Good Standing Member
Hey Big Will,

I also have the same problem. #1 fan will NOT kick on. Only when my temp gauge needle hits red will the 2nd fan kick on. Car overheats only at idle for short period(like 2 minutes of idle then starts heatin up). I have replaced the thermostat, and relay for first fan. I've never had smoke or any problen when it overheats, but am afraid one day I'm going to see a cloud of smoke. I'll keep you informed if I hear of anything else to inspect, or I'll stick around on this thread. Hope you find the problem.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:09 AM   #7
roughrider1988
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 47412
What I Drive: 2002, blue, zx3

FF Reputation: 1 roughrider1988 Good Standing Member
same thing happened to me.......sitting at red light temp keeps going up and up and up then pow!! big bang. limp the car home with the help of 2 gals of antifreeze and find huge split in radiator hose. fix hose this morning and find another leak at bottom of housing where the big hose fits onto the engine. any ideas about what caused this?
Old 08-18-2007, 10:15 PM   #8
bradtexas
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 7885
What I Drive: 2001 Focus

FF Reputation: 1 bradtexas Good Standing Member
same problem i had with mine. It was the cooling fan resistor. the wires going into it were fried.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:02 AM   #9
zx32nr
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 43460
What I Drive: 2007 pitch black zx3 ses

FF Reputation: 16 zx32nr Great Standing Member
ditto
Zetec Crew #175
REP WHEN REP IS DUE
shorty header, magnaflow 2 1/2 catback, 65mm TB, pipercross viper, cfm pully set, sct reflash, steeda STS, screemin deamon coil, livewires, and a damn good driver

Bookmarks & Social Networks