Need you FOCI guys' opinions on fixing my paint! - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > Auto Washing, Detailing & Paint Protection

Auto Washing, Detailing & Paint Protection Discuss wax, polish, chamois, microfiber towels, simple cloth towel, scratch repair and paint protection. Use this Forum to discuss your cleaning tricks and techniques.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-02-2007, 01:18 PM   #1
R00ST650
Focus Addict

Fan#: 15982
What I Drive: Pitch Black '03 ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 1 R00ST650 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Need you FOCI guys' opinions on fixing my paint!

My SVT got egged a couple of months ago. The eggs sat in the morning sun for a few hours (happened about 12 am...didnt get to it till about 7:30). so in two spots where the actual eggs sat it spider webbed the paint in about a half dollar size area. The damage is not horrendous (has to be in direct sun light or really have to know where its at to see it) so its not really erally bad, but still looks like garabage.

I only have a 100 dollar deductible (comp) on my insurance so figured hey may as well get it fixed. I went to my favorite local body shop and got an estimate of 1200 bucks. This was to repaint the drivers side door, the hatch, buff the whole car to get out a lot of small scratches. (at another place because they dont buff- 180), replace the front lower bumper chin spoiler (they put down 280 for the part alone!) as well as replacing the antenna base (got ripped off). So the insurance company was nice enough to diregard my estimate and have their adjust write his own (of a whopping 760 bucks...almost HALF what the place asked for).

SO now im stuck with a check for 760 and a lot of work that cant be done for that price (the body shop they would do just the paint on the two panels for that price but everything wouldnt be touched).

My name and the body shops name is on the check so I beleive I can cash it...anybody know for sure about that?

If I can, my new plan of thought is to buy the chin spoiler myself (like 90 bucks thanks to the forum). the antenna base for like 15-30 (or whatever it is from ford). and install those two items myself.

With some of the remainder of the money I would like to do something that would take car of the scratches and the egg damaged paint. The detail shop around here quoted 180 for the whole car, but said they would be worried about trying to buff out the egg damaged paint thinking it would go down too thin. SOOO what should I do? there are quite a few scratches all over the car (some from the egging and some just around the car from regular driving).

Does anybody have ideas for me? I was thinking just pay to get the car buffed...but dont know if that would be a good idea if its going to leave my paint really thin.

Are there any products out there that are really good (regardless of price) that are a wax based or the paint matching wax that really hides scratches? What about clay barring it and then using a good wax? would that help the was cover some of the scratches or is that really an unnecessary step in my case? Maybe I should just pay a detail shop to do a really good polishing/waxing job instead of buffing it? that way i know it will be done right and hopefully help keep the paint looking good for awhile (and keep it protected).

Sorry for the SUPER long post and thanks in advance for any help!!!!!

Mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2007, 03:14 PM   #2
JRODSVT
Dragon Warrior

Fan#: 15362
What I Drive: 03 SVT ZX5

FF Reputation: 97 JRODSVT Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
1. for the chin spoiler get a mach 1 lip much more aggressice look and it does look good on the SVT. they are about 75 bucks and take a bit of modification to put n but people have done it so do a search.

2. anything that is going to remove scratches effectively will remove some of the clearcoat. that is because the scratch is in the clear coat itself. Clay barring and a wax will only get you so far but it wont reove scratches unless the wax you use has cut in it. It should be applied with a rotary buffer by a pro. or you can burn the paint.

3. Have the body shop buff the car that way you know it should be done right.
o xxxxxxxxxxxx o
Old 08-02-2007, 10:34 PM   #3
pensfan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 46014
What I Drive: 07 liquid grey zx3

FF Reputation: 1 pensfan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
when my rangerslipped outta gear and ran into a utility pole insurance company gave me a check withboth my name and the body shops. tried cashing it and the bank said signatures of both have to be on it
Old 08-02-2007, 11:19 PM   #4
Xetchx
Focus Addict

Fan#: 49113
What I Drive: 03 Silver SVT

FF Reputation: 23 Xetchx Great Standing Member
just for regular paint job I goto Maaco. about 500 gets you total new paint job and clear coat.

For 1200 you should be able to candy and sparkles
Old 08-03-2007, 08:18 AM   #5
FleaWannaBe
WHITE ON BLACK :)

Fan#: 45837
What I Drive: 2005 White ZX3

FF Reputation: 2 FleaWannaBe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by R00ST650 View Post
My SVT got egged a couple of months ago. The eggs sat in the morning sun for a few hours (happened about 12 am...didnt get to it till about 7:30). so in two spots where the actual eggs sat it spider webbed the paint in about a half dollar size area. The damage is not horrendous (has to be in direct sun light or really have to know where its at to see it) so its not really erally bad, but still looks like garabage.

I only have a 100 dollar deductible (comp) on my insurance so figured hey may as well get it fixed. I went to my favorite local body shop and got an estimate of 1200 bucks. This was to repaint the drivers side door, the hatch, buff the whole car to get out a lot of small scratches. (at another place because they dont buff- 180), replace the front lower bumper chin spoiler (they put down 280 for the part alone!) as well as replacing the antenna base (got ripped off). So the insurance company was nice enough to diregard my estimate and have their adjust write his own (of a whopping 760 bucks...almost HALF what the place asked for).

SO now im stuck with a check for 760 and a lot of work that cant be done for that price (the body shop they would do just the paint on the two panels for that price but everything wouldnt be touched).

My name and the body shops name is on the check so I beleive I can cash it...anybody know for sure about that?

If I can, my new plan of thought is to buy the chin spoiler myself (like 90 bucks thanks to the forum). the antenna base for like 15-30 (or whatever it is from ford). and install those two items myself.

With some of the remainder of the money I would like to do something that would take car of the scratches and the egg damaged paint. The detail shop around here quoted 180 for the whole car, but said they would be worried about trying to buff out the egg damaged paint thinking it would go down too thin. SOOO what should I do? there are quite a few scratches all over the car (some from the egging and some just around the car from regular driving).

Does anybody have ideas for me? I was thinking just pay to get the car buffed...but dont know if that would be a good idea if its going to leave my paint really thin.

Are there any products out there that are really good (regardless of price) that are a wax based or the paint matching wax that really hides scratches? What about clay barring it and then using a good wax? would that help the was cover some of the scratches or is that really an unnecessary step in my case? Maybe I should just pay a detail shop to do a really good polishing/waxing job instead of buffing it? that way i know it will be done right and hopefully help keep the paint looking good for awhile (and keep it protected).

Mike
i was in the same situation as you once. i just went to the body shop i wanted to gave them the check and the go after the insurance company to get the rest. see if ou can do that.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:42 AM   #6
Black&Tan
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 9971
What I Drive: '06 Liquid Grey SES hatch

FF Reputation: 8 Black&Tan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xetchx View Post
just for regular paint job I goto Maaco. about 500 gets you total new paint job and clear coat.

For 1200 you should be able to candy and sparkles
MAACO?

Riiiight.... and you thought the egg on your car was a horrible mess. Wait until the butchers at MAACO get done repainting your car. Paint and body work is one of those things that you get what you pay for. The $500 special at MAACO will include almost no prep-work, and is a SINGLE STAGE paint. So no, you won't get a clearcoat. They only do two stage (base-clear) at their highest priced service, and even at that level I wouldn't trust them with repainting my bicycle, let alone my car.
HN #171
Old 08-03-2007, 08:58 AM   #7
Black&Tan
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 9971
What I Drive: '06 Liquid Grey SES hatch

FF Reputation: 8 Black&Tan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Honestly, $760 for painting two panels sounds a bit on the high end, but if you know they're a good shop it might be worth it. Make sure they color-match to your existing paint.

Was your chin spoiler damaged? Why are you replacing it?

The antenna base is easy to do your self. If you want something a little different, I replaced my antenna with my XM antenna and then mounted an amplified antenna on my windshield behind my rearview mirror. Pics in my gallery if you want to check it out. The front lip is an easy install too.

You could try fighting your insurance company for the money. You might have some success. I did it myself when I totalled a car. I fought their original replacement estimate by getting quotes and appealing. I got an extra two grand out of them.

If they won't budge or you don't want to go through the headache of fighting for a few extra hundred bucks, I'd just get the two panels painted, replace the antenna yourself, replace the lip yourself, and find a detailing shop that will do just the outside of your car. Around here you can get a car detailed for around $75.00.

There are "fill in" products that will work, (turtlewax makes a "color match" thing). I used one on my ZTS to hide scratches that my dog made on the side of my car when he tried to jump out of it while i was moving at 45 MPH (thank god I had him strapped in), but it only lasted a few months before it started to fade out. Unless you want to polish and wax your car every three months (I wouldn't), I'd just get the thing repainted and buffed.
HN #171
Old 08-13-2007, 06:26 PM   #8
kyle.crandall
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 47160
What I Drive: 2007 Toreador Red metallic ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 kyle.crandall Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by R00ST650 View Post

Mike
Of course, depending on your autobody expertise... you could always wet sand it and paint it yourself, depending on your resources too! This would be the best alternative from headaches, but you have to becareful, and do some research about "do-it-yourself" wet sanding and painting... or you'll just make a bigger headache for yourself! Best of luck!

Bookmarks & Social Networks