HELP random misfire - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-11-2007, 11:50 AM   #1
donrafa7
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 49403
What I Drive: 2003 grey zx3

FF Reputation: 1 donrafa7 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
HELP random misfire

I went to get my car smogged (03 zx3, 2.3 duratec) and it came back with a random misfire code. The car is fine when driving , but when idiling for a while it will want to die unless i give it gas. I wan to change the coil and plugs and just wanted to know if the plugs/coil for a zetec will fit a 2.3 duratec. and if anyone has a good set they are selling?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2007, 12:05 PM   #2
donrafa7
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

well I guess I have the coil on plug thingy which is expensive to replace any ideas on how to test if any of the individual coils are bad or anyone got any ideas on what could be causing the problem, maybe MAF or DPFE sensor?
Old 08-11-2007, 12:21 PM   #3
SVT_BMXer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 11226
What I Drive: 1991 BMW 318is

FF Reputation: 20 SVT_BMXer Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
How old are your plugs and wires? Could just need a tune up. You should be able to scan and find out which cylinder is misfiring.

Current:1991 BMW 318is: Bilstein sports, H&R springs, TMS chip, UUC short shifter, dyna-max muffler
Old 08-11-2007, 01:12 PM   #4
donrafa7
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

WOW. I just checked the plugs and they were starting to rust. I bought the car with 70k and I've put about 5k into it. Must still have original plugs. will change today
Old 08-12-2007, 07:53 AM   #5
wickedgreyzx3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 34204
What I Drive: 2006 ZX3 Liquid Grey

FF Reputation: 17 wickedgreyzx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Each cylinder has it's own individual coil. These coils from ford are known to go bad, mum's E150 had 2 replaced by 100k and pop's f350 has had 5 replaced at only 36k

Hook up a scan tool and go and watch which cylinder is misfiring and then take a coil off the cylinder that is not misfiring and switch it to the cylinder that was and if the misfire moves clyinders you have identified a bad coil

By the way the stock spark plugs are good to 100,000 miles. Don't argue with me other wise. They are good. The only reason that it is recommended to change them early is to avoid seizure in the head.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:55 AM   #6
wickedgreyzx3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 34204
What I Drive: 2006 ZX3 Liquid Grey

FF Reputation: 17 wickedgreyzx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by donrafa7 View Post
well I guess I have the coil on plug thingy which is expensive to replace any ideas on how to test if any of the individual coils are bad or anyone got any ideas on what could be causing the problem, maybe MAF or DPFE sensor?
Don't go parts jumping. It can detract you very very far from the original problem.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:09 AM   #7
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

Fan#: 42718
What I Drive: 2002 RED SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 175 WeeAsp Excellent Standing Member WeeAsp Excellent Standing Member
First, welcome to FF !!

Secondly, the coils SHOULD be fine.

There is a history of issues with them, but before we go throwing parts at the car, lets start simple.

With 70K on the clock and rusty spark plugs, chances are that the car has never had a tune up.

Start by resetting the code (if it hasn't been done already), then replace the spark plugs with new - be sure to gap properly.

Your next step is the wires. Replace them.

Electricity flows like water and follows the path of least resistance. When wires begin to break down, the electricity generated by the coils will go where it encounters the least amount of resistance.

With new plugs and wires, that source of resistance is the spark plug itself. It channels spark to the electrode and blammo...a controlled spark. When wires break down, resistance is encountered further upstream and the electricity can (and often will) arc through the wire. Especially if there are cracks or breakdown within the core of the wires.

As the wires continue to degrade, the current backs up more and can result in shorting out the coil(s).

Start with plugs and wires and see how it runs.

If the misfire is still there, then clean the Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor and throttle intake.

BG makes excellent products for this and I would advise you to do it anyway as part of the tune up. This should be done PRIOR to replacing the plugs as the cleaner can foul new plugs.

Remove the intake snorkle from the intake. Spray the BG cleaner directly into the intake and with a clean soft rag, remove all the carbon that is visible. Once that is done, start the car and manually maintain the idle using the throttle lever on the side of the intake. You should be able to manipulate the throttle using the spring/lever combination. While the car is running, spray the cleaner DIRECTLY into the throttle opening.

The car will bog a little, but just open the throttle more and keep spraying. If the cars stalls, then restart and repeat.

You will need to do this a couple of times.

Cleaning the MAF is more straight forward. Spray the cleaner (It will specify that it can be sprayed onto the MAF) with the car OFF.

Let the cleaner evaporate before reinstalling.

DO NOT TOUCH THE MAF with your hands or rags. You could damage the sensor and they are not inexpensive.

If these steps result in a misfire, then move onto the coils.

Plugs and wires will run you about $60 vs. several hundred for one or more coils.

Good luck and happy !

"I live with fear every day and sometimes, she lets me race."

2002 SVT Focus... Stock
Old 08-12-2007, 06:00 PM   #8
donrafa7
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Well I changed the plugs and got some auto lite 103 iridiums. The car seems to be running better and the check engine light has not came on in the last 100 miles or so i put on it. Still a little studder on start up when idling, but much much less than before. I'm pretty sure i'm gonna change the wires and clean out the maf sensor later this week. thanks
Old 08-12-2007, 06:04 PM   #9
donrafa7
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

By the way what should I ask for when looking for some replacement wires I looked online at autozone and called them, but they didn't have any wiresets for the 2.3L duratec engine
Old 08-12-2007, 06:53 PM   #10
madirishman13
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 32123
What I Drive: 2007 silver ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 1 madirishman13 Good Standing Member
If you are coil over then you will be replacing the boots. no wires involved,make sure you get some spark plug boot protector.Helps seal the boot so you ca remove them easier at a later time.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.