Tilt steering issues - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-07-2007, 12:06 PM   #1
Morgan
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 49319
What I Drive: blue 2001 SE

FF Reputation: 1 Morgan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question Tilt steering issues

New to the forum here. Hello.

I have a 2001 SE. Has anyone had the tilt steering locking arm become unlockable? The arm that locks the tilt steering wheel won't stay locked anymore. It keeps flopping down which as you know lets the steering wheel flop all around. I have had it apart to look at it and have seen the two plates that squeeze the steering column together to make it stay, but the arm that rotates these plates won't lock anymore. I went to my dealer and they don't sell any parts for the tilt wheel mechanism. They wanted to sell me the whole steering column assembly for a mere $360.

It would appear that the plates I referred to have become too smooth after 6+ years of locking and unlocking the tilt wheel and will no longer keep the arm locked up.

Thank you in advance for any advise you may have about this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2007, 12:56 PM   #2
Focusedat50
It's been fun.......

Fan#: 1409
What I Drive: Boosted ZX5 ATX - 179WHP/158TQ

FF Reputation: 2 Focusedat50 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (30)
Haven't had or heard of that problem before. Have you tried any salvage yards? Might have luck finding just the part you need at far less than $360.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:12 PM   #3
SkaAddict
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1690
FF Reputation: 69 SkaAddict Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
If you're interested I have a fixed column I'd be willing to let go for cheap...
Old 08-07-2007, 01:23 PM   #4
Morgan
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 49319
What I Drive: blue 2001 SE

FF Reputation: 1 Morgan Good Standing Member
I haven't tried any salvage yards yet. I figure that someone that owns these cars has had this problem. I'm going to take the plates/disks apart and rough them up so they will lock. If I can't get this to work I'll figure something out to get them to lock. Anyone tried this?
Old 08-07-2007, 05:32 PM   #5
SkaAddict
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1690
FF Reputation: 69 SkaAddict Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
I don't think its that common of a problem...I think this is the first time I've heard of this as long as I've been on this forum. I'm not sure if he's still taking orders, but Jeremy at Focus Salvage sells a tilt column for $125...http://www.marketworks.com/storefron...512&i=15327918
Old 08-09-2007, 08:26 AM   #6
Captain Planet
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 49317
What I Drive: Blue 2001 SE

FF Reputation: 1 Captain Planet Good Standing Member
I figured this out last night. For those of you that have this problem in the future here is the solution.

On the lever that you use to tilt/telescope the wheel there is a small bolt that goes through to the other side of the steerting column. Oh the lever side of this bolt are a set of ramped gears that, when you lift the lever to lock the steering wheel these gears ramp up on one another and cause the entire steering column to squeeze in on itself, thus locking in the steering wheel in place. These ramped gears wear over time and what happens is, instead of having a flat spot on at the top of the gears for them to stop and not come undone, the gears wear and you end up with a ramp on each gear. Essentually what you end up with is trying to hold the steering column tight with two inclined planes.

You have to take the steering column down (3 bolts, 1 t-40 torx head bolt) and remove the tilt steering lever assembly (10mm socket). The ramped gears are right where the tilt steering lever and the bolt come together. Take the gears and sand the tops of the ramps flat again so the gears have somewhere flat to rest when you lock the steering wheel in place. NOTE: it doesn't take much to sand the gears, the plastic is pretty chalky/soft and flattens pretty easily. I used 150 grit and laid it flat on the edge of my wordbench and flattened these gears that way. I put it back to gether and it works like new.

I know this is a little lengthy and a bit vague, but if you have to investigate this on your own car this should help.

Bookmarks & Social Networks