A great day at Laguna Seca - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > General Racing Chat

General Racing Chat Use this Forum to discuss everything from launching off the line and four wheel drifts, to telling your favorite race tale. (Posting Rules)

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-01-2004, 01:14 AM   #1
spikNspan DAN
Focus Addict

Fan#: 5226
What I Drive: 02' Liquid Grey ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 spikNspan DAN Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
A great day at Laguna Seca

Well today I went to Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca with my Dad and my girlfriend. It was so awesome up there. We got up there around noon just before lunch break and in time to see the superkarts. Those things were crazy! They were doing about 120 on some parts of the track and they were flying through the corkscrew. They are so low to the ground and so light that they can go extremely fast. Most of the guys didn't even have roll cages, just there heads sticking out so if it flipped they were screwed. After we watched that there was lunch break and we went to town for lunch because the food at the raceway is really expensive.

After lunch the porsche club of america went out on the track, those guys are amazing. Their cars were so loud! The wings on those things were at least 3 feet taller than the car on some. There were 911's 924's and 914's all out on the track together. That was a good time also. Then after the porsche club the mazdaspeed miatas went out on the track.

Those things looked like a lot of fun to drive. We sat on the bleachers of turn 3 and on almost every lap there were guys spinning out into the dirt because they were going too wide. Watching those guys just made me want to get out there with em, but since I don't have a miata, or know anything about real racing I just had to sit in the stands, watch and take pictures. After the miatas was the formula ford zetec championship.

All of you are probably thinking that I'm talking about focuses, but the cars they were using were formula style cars with the 2.0 litre zetec engines in them. Those things had to be the loudest cars on the track, but they were a lot of fun to watch. My dad told me that I should go get my car out there. He said I should bring my car to the track and tell the officials that I also had a zetec engine and should be allowed on the track. He was just joking, but it would have been really funny if I tried it. After this the miatas went out again and after them the real fun began...The drifting shootout!

Okay, so this event was the real reason I made the 70 mile treck to Laguna Seca today and boy was it worth it. There were cars of all types that turned out for the $10k winner take all drift competition today(finals are tomorrow). Mostly imports, but there was a new Pontiac GTO out there that put the imports to shame. The other cars included a Dodge Viper, (2) Nissan Silvias, A Nissan 180sx and 240sx, Toyota Supra and (2) Nissan 350Z's. Just the smell of the rubber left me aching for more. The first turn of Leguna seca is a complete 180 and this is where the competitors started there run. They started from the straight, slid around turn one and went straight into turn two. Then they stopped at turn three, turned around and did turn two into turn one. The GTO tore it up, he started by burning his tires from the straight all the way into turn one and sliding around the whole turn. then he burned his tires in the straight between turn one and two and then slid around turn two. He continued to burn his tires until he stopped. He burned them the entire way without stopping. The driver of that car was amazing!

My day at Leguna Seca was one that I will never forget. It was so exhilirating hearing the engines roaring! Watching the cars makes me want to be a driver of one of those things some day and I plan on working my way towards that goal throughout college. I'll have pictures of the event up asap and some videos that I took on my digital camera(no sound, but still sick!) If you live near monterey and want to see the drifting, the finals is tomorrow at 4:15 p.m. at leguna seca. I can't make it, but if any of you go please tell me how it went.

Dan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2004, 01:22 AM   #2
SVT4ME

Fan#: 61
FF Reputation: 4 SVT4ME Good Standing Member
Sounds awesome! Laguna Seca looks like it would be a great track to race on just for the fun of it, it has a nice layout. I would love to try my hand at the corkscrew - I've gotten pretty good at racing Laguna Seca on GT3, but that ain't REAL.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2004, 03:01 AM   #3
rockthezx3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 2116
What I Drive: 05 Silver WRX Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 rockthezx3 Good Standing Member
Your lucky. I wish I could've been there.
...now with dyno tuned stage 2
Old 05-01-2004, 03:12 PM   #4
Infra3sv
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 745
What I Drive: '03 hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Infra3sv Good Standing Member
Sounds like fun. Does anyone know why the Zetecs are used in smaller cars like the Caterhams and formula cars?
Old 05-01-2004, 03:37 PM   #5
viney266
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 93
What I Drive: focus ztw ,zx3,mustang, motorcycles

Points 235,208, Level 100
Points: 235,208, Level: 100 Points: 235,208, Level: 100 Points: 235,208, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 112 viney266 Excellent Standing Member viney266 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Sure! Ford makes them cheap and available ( the engines).. Great to hear you had a good time, I love racing, and yes the carts are nuts....Try getting into a spec type race class it is the easy and cheaper way to go ( like the miata challenge or spec vw)
Old 05-02-2004, 01:32 AM   #6
Red97sc2
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 5582
FF Reputation: 1 Red97sc2 Good Standing Member
Laguna Seca is a pretty cool track. I've played it on gt3 also...haha.
Old 05-02-2004, 01:35 AM   #7
spikNspan DAN
Focus Addict

Fan#: 5226
What I Drive: 02' Liquid Grey ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 spikNspan DAN Good Standing Member
Yeah, it's even better in person. If I don't become rich I think I will try and get into a cheaper class like the miata or spec vw as you said viney. That way I could race and not spend a fortune.
Old 05-03-2004, 12:14 AM   #8
blackzx3_13
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 2645
What I Drive: 2003 black ZX3 MTX

FF Reputation: 1 blackzx3_13 Good Standing Member
Old 10-05-2005, 04:40 PM   #9
UKpunkdrummer
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 28199
What I Drive: 2005 Black/Red SVT

FF Reputation: 1 UKpunkdrummer Good Standing Member
man, ur makin me jealous.....ive alwayz wanted to go to a MRLS drift race!
Old 10-05-2005, 05:05 PM   #10
HeelToe
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 27666
What I Drive: 05 CD Silver ST

FF Reputation: 3 HeelToe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (-1)
Leguna Seca is my dream drack to be able drive on... next to "The Ring" of course.

-Matt
ST Crew #26

We would have ruled it as an accidental shooting but you reloaded... twice.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.