HOW-TO: build your own O2 cheater - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-03-2007, 10:59 PM   #1
R3d_RovrZX3
Official FF Sanjaya

Fan#: 39824
What I Drive: 2001 Infra-Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 26 R3d_RovrZX3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
HOW-TO: build your own O2 cheater

Here are the instructions for making your own O2 sensor from $2 worth of parts from radioshack instead of buying a 35 dollar one from CFM or a 9 dollar one from ebay...

Needed:

**NOTE: if the O2 sensor is really rusted on, I recommend PB blaster for helping get it out**
1. O2 sensor removal tool ($13 from local hardware store...maybe not needed but made things easier)
2. Open-ended wrench the size of the removal tool (mine said 7/8" but was actually 1")
3. Ratchet for the removal tool if needed
**NOTE: the transmission will get in the way if u us the ratchet to loosen the O2 sensor too far so use open-ended for as much as possible**

4. Soldering pencil
5. Solder
6. Wire cutters
7. Wire strippers
8. exacto knife

9. A 1 microfarad capacitor ($1 from radio shack)
10. 5 pack of 1 megaohm, 1/2 or 1/4 watt resistors ($1 from radio shack)
11. electrical tape
12. some sort of protective covering for the finished product...be creative, finished product will be somewhat close to the transmission

Process:

**IN ORDER TO REACH THE SENSOR LOCATION ON MY HEADER, I HAD TO ADD A COUPLE INCHES TO ALL FOUR WIRES**
...this is not included in the how-to but you may be required to also do so if the sensor needs to be back near the flex pipe like mine did

1. Unplug the blue O2 sensor connector

2. Use the O2 sensor removal tool and an open ended wrench to remove the O2 sensor...a ratchet might be helpful to get it started but will get stuck between the sensor and the transmission if you take it out too far...
**NOTE: i found it to be easiest to remove the sensor right after parking the car, while it is still quite warm...careful not to burn yourself but i think its easier to get it started

3. Use the exacto knife and wire cutters to CAREFULLY cut the rubber sleeve without cutting the wires about 2 inches from the connector end...this will keep the cheater away from all the exhaust heat

4. Pull the longer end of the sleeve down so that it squishes down on the sensor and use some electrical tape or something to hold it down as far as possible while you work.

5. Between the two parts of the sleeve, separate the two white wires from the gray and black ones...the white wires will not be touched.

6. Cut the black wire in the middle of the area available (one cut) and cut a small section (half-inch) out of the gray wire (two cuts). **I actually did this 2 cut step later but recommend it here instead**

7. Strip each of the available wires about 1/4 inch or so down...just enough to solder. Then twist the strands to keep them together.

8. Take the capacitor and wrap the black wire (connector side) around one of the wires coming out of the capacitor, make this connection fairly close to the capacitor.

9. Fold back the other wire coming out of the capacitor and twist on the gray wire (connector side)

10. Wrap the remaining black wire (sensor side) around the black wire from the connector side and its capacitor wire.

11. Solder the black wires and one side of the capacitor together, trim off any extra wire from the capacitor, and wrap in electrical tape.

12. Take one of the resistors and wrap one of its wires around the gray wire (connector side) and second capacitor wire

**NOTE: it has been recommended that you use heatshrink tubing instead of/in addition to the electrical tape...so you may want to put heatshrink over the capacitor and wires here**

13. Wrap the other end of the resistor around the other gray wire (sensor side)

14. Solder both of these connections and wrap in more electrical tape **AND/OR HEATSHRINK**

15. Remove the electrical tape holding down the sleeve and cut a small slit in the side, allowing the sleeve to partially cover the cheater electronics.

16. Tape the sleeve down over the electronics.

17. Use whatever protective cover you have to cover it all up.

18. More electrical tape to keep out moisture and dirt.

19. Finger tighten O2 sensor back into the car.

20. Use the removal tool and open ended wrench to tighten the O2 sensor. Torque it down a bit but don't crossthread/strip it.

21. Plug blue connector back in and enjoy your lack of engine light.

**I am not responsible for the use of this mod to break the law/pass emissions tests illegally. Any equipment which removes emissions equipment is for off-road use only**

Last edited by R3d_RovrZX3; 08-15-2007 at 07:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2007, 01:58 AM   #2
Nereus78
Focus Addict

Fan#: 30383
What I Drive: 00 Black ZX3 MTX, 07 Kawa ZZR600

FF Reputation: 4 Nereus78 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
got pics?
Old 08-04-2007, 07:13 PM   #3
ChrisRobin
Focus Addict

Fan#: 46204
What I Drive: 04 silver SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 4 ChrisRobin Good Standing Member
Cool write up... notice any difference?
Old 08-04-2007, 07:29 PM   #4
gonzorelic
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 13348
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black SVT Focus ZX5

FF Reputation: 31 gonzorelic Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
this wright up should be handy since the government just outlawed all sales of 02 sims. nobody sells them anymore.

WWW.PATTERNTEK.COM
WWW.SNAPOFFRACING.COM
Old 08-04-2007, 07:34 PM   #5
heelflip101
Get The Hammer!

Fan#: 32770
What I Drive: 2000 Mali zx3

FF Reputation: 29 heelflip101 Great Standing Member
Theres always the good old fashion extensions that move the sensor out of the path of exhaust flow that work also. I just saw those on sale yesterday at the local speed shop.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:22 AM   #6
R3d_RovrZX3
Official FF Sanjaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereus78 View Post
got pics?
theres a pic on almost every step exept 10-14 or somethin...i do need to put them on a different server though...my internet connection has been sketchy lately, so i apologize if the pics are temporarily unavailable
Old 08-05-2007, 12:54 AM   #7
R3d_RovrZX3
Official FF Sanjaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRobin View Post
Cool write up... notice any difference?
if u mean performanc-wise no, i did not...the purpose of this mod was to get rid of the CEL once i put my new 4-1 header on...i dont have the header on right now...so the mod actually accomplished nothing for me as of yet because im still on the stock header/cat setup...but i know ill be glad its already ready when i do get the header on...and im confident everything worked properly because of the fact that i DIDNT notice a change...thats a good way to tell everything went as planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by heelflip101 View Post
Theres always the good old fashion extensions that move the sensor out of the path of exhaust flow that work also. I just saw those on sale yesterday at the local speed shop.
just be careful of the transmission...the sensor is aimed right for that thing and it was a pain removing it because it was aimed right for the transmission...i dont know how long those extenders are but just a heads up
Old 08-05-2007, 06:58 AM   #8
killer ZETEC
GL1TCH

Fan#: 44757
What I Drive: advance trac french blue 03 zx3

FF Reputation: 42 killer ZETEC Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
very slick. we need to sticky this...ASAP
will it run soon?? who knows.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:10 PM   #9
R3d_RovrZX3
Official FF Sanjaya

haha, maybe it will get stickied once i get the rest of the pics in....ive just been really busy and havent had time yet...hopefullyi will today
Old 08-05-2007, 02:19 PM   #10
heelflip101
Get The Hammer!

Fan#: 32770
What I Drive: 2000 Mali zx3

FF Reputation: 29 heelflip101 Great Standing Member
Quote:
just be careful of the transmission...the sensor is aimed right for that thing and it was a pain removing it because it was aimed right for the transmission...i dont know how long those extenders are but just a heads up
It only sticks out about a inch further and it shouldn't be towards your tranny or somethings wrong with you new header.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->