no harmonic dampener? - Page 6 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-04-2007, 05:49 AM   #51
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 152 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Again what was posted by Pzev04boy was the guys opinion that makes/sells UDP and I wouldnt exactly call it the best to read , I have an idea it came from walter marcy the way it is wrote

And Im sorry most of it is misinformation thats why im pushing so hard to correct it

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2007, 03:42 PM   #52
puahi1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 49405
What I Drive: 2001 White Focus

FF Reputation: 1 puahi1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I have a 2001 Ford Focus with a vibration that I can feel inside the car. It is very noticeable when the engine idles fast on warm up or when accelerating. There is no vibration when it just sits and idles. I took it to Ford and they told me I needed all of my engine mounts replaced. With the car having less that 100K miles and thought it best to get a second opinion. I had another mechanic look at it and he said all the mounts looked fine but replaced the lower mount just to see if it would make a difference and it did not. Do you think this vibration could be from a bad harmonic balancer or pulley?
Old 03-01-2008, 11:49 AM   #53
MVent
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17635
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Hatchback SE

FF Reputation: 2 MVent Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Sry to bring up an old thread. .

I found this thread while researching massive's claims on their UDPs. I know there's not much HP to get from UDPs but that's not what I'm after. I'm more interested in making a faster revving engine. I think Tom's arguments convinced me to not get one though. The fact that he has doesn't sell UDPs really makes a statement to me, he has nothing to gain or lose by the information he gives on them. K Dog's lack of response to Tom refutation of his claims doesn't inspire confidence either. Better safe than sorry.

BTW, there are no mods that are cost effective for the HP you get. Even FI.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:31 PM   #54
ShadowStrike
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 48473
What I Drive: 2003 Yellow ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 ShadowStrike Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Wow, haven't seen this UDP arguement before. It's interesting that still to this day, after years of debates, nothing has been brought forward to confirm that UDP's cause premature engine wear. Nothing. Honestly I don't believe we ever will.

AEM, Ford Racing, Unorthodox Racing, and many other reputable companies make, sell, and believe in the UPDs they are selling. These are professionally machined under the most precise tolerances and are perfectly balanced.

And to those who say UDP's aren't even worth the gain for the money. Are you serious? You drop $250+ on a throttle body for maybe 3-4hp at most, and you won't spend $50-100 on an UDP which may increase 1-2hp and help bring the RPMs up quicker?

But this debate is full of theories and opinions and not much else. A few people have tried to dig up facts, but in the end these may or may not have any thing to do with the topic at hand. I'm in no way disrespecting anyone for I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but just face the facts, there is no recorded damage engine failure that was caused because the engine had an UDP on is. That right there is enough to tell me they are safe to run, and I will be picking one up within the next two weeks.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:52 AM   #55
Pistonbroke
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 42552
What I Drive: Black 2000 ZX3 mtx

FF Reputation: 1 Pistonbroke Good Standing Member
I keep wondering why the car makers keep using the harmonic balancer? It may come down to what the driver hears and feels while driving the car. The car makers are very concerned with NVH [noise, vibration, harshness] They install heavy chunks of steel on the ends of transmissions, on exhaust systems etc.

PS, I'm pretty sure motorcycle engines don't use the harmonic balancer...
Old 03-02-2008, 04:09 PM   #56
SVT-SAGE
Banned

Fan#: 43249
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black SVTF

FF Reputation: 15 SVT-SAGE Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
I have the two most disputed mods well three. A Sean Hyland UDP and AEM cam gear, and I can honestly say, that holding the stock pieces versus those two aluminum gears, you can feel a dramatic loss of rotating mass. I dont see how that wouldnt help with quicker revs and couple of more ponies.

I also have my TB ported. With those three mods versus stock I think there is a major difference in power, and I know its not just my butt dyno tricking me.

Also the price for these three mods was less than 200$ which is well worth it, IMO.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:52 PM   #57
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 42 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
I've had the Essy crank gear since July of '01, I think. 135,000 on the clock so far and no ill effects.

I just ran out and looked at my stock pulley. Seriously I don't get it. You guys think that little O-ring will dampen anything? I highly doubt it.
If anything that ring is to isolate the accessories from the crank, nothing more.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:11 AM   #58
killer ZETEC
GL1TCH

Fan#: 44757
What I Drive: advance trac french blue 03 zx3

FF Reputation: 42 killer ZETEC Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
i have a better question. why hasnt anyone made a stock sized lightweight pulley out of aluminum? if it had the rubber dealy in there would it be a win win, seeing as its light and its a precision part?
will it run soon?? who knows.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:25 AM   #59
nate2006
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 35913
What I Drive: 2000 Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 4 nate2006 Good Standing Member
Under certain conditions the pistons and crankshaft can resonate together causing huge amounts of stress on the crankshaft. The harmonic balancer consists of two things, the mass and a vibration absorbing material. The mass slows the vibrations and the rubber absorbs them. Without the harmonic balancer microscopic cracks can develop in the crankshaft leading to premature failure. It is one of those things that you can get away with for a while but who really knows what kind of damage is being caused.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:34 AM   #60
killer ZETEC
GL1TCH

Fan#: 44757
What I Drive: advance trac french blue 03 zx3

FF Reputation: 42 killer ZETEC Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
so like i said above you, why not make a stock size pulley out of aluminum that has the rubber bushing? the lighter weight will let it rev a bit faster. but the accessories wont be slowed down. not to mention its easier to find belts and parts if something happens
will it run soon?? who knows.

Bookmarks & Social Networks