Wierd Knocking Sounds - front suspension - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-30-2007, 04:32 PM   #1
nikn
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 49137
What I Drive: 2000,blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 nikn Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Wierd Knocking Sounds - front suspension

I've read numerous posts which describe the knocking sound. None captures my issue, hence this post is long and descriptive. Based on the ones I had , i had new found information, I went to several repair shops from a Strauss, to a MIDAS, Mieneke, and a couple of local shops too. I've received estimates ranging from $0 to $700. These numbers are extremely far apart.

Problem: Knocking sound. Imagine putting a baseball in a paint can and shaking the can around.. The same exact sound comes from the left front end.

Type of Bumps: All sizes, from minor speeds bumps to major potholes (yea its Jersey!!)

When: Only at low speeds (under 30mi/hr). At higher speeds, the car is silent - no noises come from the front suspension at all!!

Between the shops listed above, i've got the following suggestions

2 Shops: Come back when the noise is more severe, we cannot recommend any part to change coz we don't know the offender.

1 Shop: Change the front struts. They've gone bad.
I don't buy that coz the springs have no marks on them. The tires show no sign of uneven wear. the car manages all bumps really well at higher speeds. Pushing the front end down when stationary is not noisy and very smooth.

1 Shop: Change front struts, and inner tie rod ends.
Again, don't buy any of it.. the inner tie rod end on the right side shows that its bent (very very slightly). BUt its very hard to pick this. I will change it when i know what the real problem is unless somoene here thinks it could be an issue.

No one said that the sway bar links are bad. One guy said the ball joint is fine..

I had different people check the struts, and most said its fine. I had them check the place where the struts.

Questions:

A ball joint is probably the only part which can make a noise at lower speeds but can run "True" at higher speeds...I think it could be an issue. The tech who said that the ball joint is NOT bad had no answer when asked how was did he conclude as such..How can i diagnose a ball joint problem.

Any help / suggestions on what else could I look for would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2007, 04:42 PM   #2
SkaAddict
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1690
FF Reputation: 69 SkaAddict Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
I would check the swaybar endlinks...they'll do exactly what you're describing as they're wearing out and will later make the clunking noise regardless of speed. They're easy to check...remove the front wheels and grab the endlink and check for play...there should be little to none, if you can grab it and twist it they're shot.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:38 PM   #3
nikn
Focus Rookie

i believe the endlinks were checked...

Would these endlinks be quiet when the car goes over the same bumps sized bumps at higher speed?

The Strauss guy jacked up the car, put a rod between the wheel and the ground, and tried pushing the wheel up and about... He said that nothing seems wrong with the swaybar. .. I don't know if his "test" would have tested the endlinks too.. If you don't think so, I will jack up the car over this
weekend to check it out.

Would trying to lube them and thereby quietening them help narrow the problem down?
Old 07-30-2007, 08:23 PM   #4
SkaAddict
Focus Fanatic

Well, they're pretty cheap...~$7 each from a chain parts store, or you could get OEM ones from b16sir1991 for about $15 each...so even if you replace them and it doesn't fix it you wouldn't be out that much.

How many miles? It could be the ball joints, or possibly the strut top bearings. It might be something simple, like the nut at the top of the strut not being tight enough (I've had that problem in the past.)
Old 07-31-2007, 08:37 AM   #5
Zheka
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 40598
What I Drive: 2001 Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 6 Zheka Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
i think i have the same problem, but its coming from the front right side. But now it got a lil worse, i hear that sound when i go on a perfectly straight road, it usually kick's on when i accelerate, or at high rpm's
Old 07-31-2007, 12:49 PM   #6
nikn
Focus Rookie

mileage

the car has 82k miles on it. The nut at the top of the strut has been checked for tightness.

In my original post I too was speculating on the ball joints coz they are the only things that will run "true" at higher speeds

Anyways, over the weekend, I'm going to have the endlinks changed. How much do the ball joints cost? I might get them changed too.

I don't buy that the struts or the tie rod ends need changing. I think its a waste, plus the cost of alignment. Unless sure i won't go that route..

Zheka: did you get your ball joints checked?
Old 07-31-2007, 02:34 PM   #7
edmhatch
Focus Addict

Fan#: 39925
What I Drive: Black on black

FF Reputation: 5 edmhatch Good Standing Member
my car does this pulling out of driveways (cuz of the gutter at the end of the driveway), but my car is lowered. my knock sound is just the wheel bouncing off the wheel well
<LOTH #23>
Old 07-31-2007, 05:21 PM   #8
SkaAddict
Focus Fanatic

Balljoints aren't exactly easy to change, they're riveted onto the control arm. To replace them you either have to drill/chisel off the rivets and replace the ball joint with new hardware (nuts & bolts) or purchase a whole new control arm and replace the entire assembly.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:57 PM   #9
Robb S
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 48600
What I Drive: 2002 Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Robb S Good Standing Member
I replaced my swaybar links last month, which fixed my noise problem. I was hearing the noise going over bumps, railroad tracks, as I backed out of my drive, etc.. The sound was more metal against metal than what you are describing. I have a 2002 ZX3. When I first bought it, about a year ago, I noticed when I went over a big bump I would hear/feel a vibrating sound which was the sway bar vibrating with the bump. I believe this is what you want to hear. As the links wore down this vibrating sound was replaced with the metal on metal sound, which is the studs of the links knocking against the flanges that they attach to. The rubber bushings wear down and allow the links to move around in the holes of the flanges. After I replaced them the noise was gone and the vibrating sound was back (much more tolerable than the metal noise). As another post said, they are cheap and it shouldn't take you more than a few hours to do both sides. I think that you will need an 11mm or 12mm open end wrench placed behind the bushing to hold the stud while you remove the nut. By the way, trying to wiggle the links by hand as a test for their condition may not result in any noise. I heard very little when I did this and they barely moved in the holes.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:01 AM   #10
tua03332
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 37555
What I Drive: 2000 Silver Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 tua03332 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
something you might think is dumb but is also responsible for these symptons. Make sure the spring hasn't rotated too far up the spring seat. I believe when installing springs you should leave about 1/4inch between the end of the spring and the bump in the spring seat. I had noises and then simply took off my wheel and turned the spring counter clockwise about 1/2inch and then put it back together, no noise what so ever. Cheap easy and might help you or any others reading this

Bookmarks & Social Networks