Wont start after replacing clutch master cylinder - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-29-2007, 10:46 AM   #1
sgatepunk
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 27470
What I Drive: '02 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 sgatepunk Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Wont start after replacing clutch master cylinder

Heres the scenario: A week ago a "pin" on my clutch pedal broke its weld, and since I did not realize what had actually happened at the moment (I was driving the vehicle after all). Somehow I managed to break the little plastic piston rod on the clutch master cylinder. After replacing the cluctch master cylinder my car wont start, I have power, but the car does nothing, it wont turn over, nothing.

I had the battery completely disconnected for a few hours while replacing the clutch master cylinder, does anyone think that has anything to do with anything? If so, do I have to take the car into the dealership to have it "reprogrammed" or is there some way to do a factory reset?

I have already tried the trick where you disconnect the neg. battery terminal for an hour, and that didn't change anything.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2007, 10:57 AM   #2
zx32nr
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 43460
What I Drive: 2007 pitch black zx3 ses

FF Reputation: 16 zx32nr Great Standing Member
did u disconnect any wiring harness just to get them out of the way??? like the MAF or TPS. doing the master cylinder (i dont believe) would effect the ignition. just try to re-check all the connectors
Zetec Crew #175
REP WHEN REP IS DUE
shorty header, magnaflow 2 1/2 catback, 65mm TB, pipercross viper, cfm pully set, sct reflash, steeda STS, screemin deamon coil, livewires, and a damn good driver
Old 07-29-2007, 12:00 PM   #3
sgatepunk
Focus Rookie

I will check again when I get home.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:02 PM   #4
Egz
Sückn' n Blown

Fan#: 442
What I Drive: 2003 2.3l ZX3

FF Reputation: 111 Egz Excellent Standing Member Egz Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Sounds like it could be the clutch safety switch.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:29 PM   #5
Blurvfocus
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 15299
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 Wine Cooled Eng.

FF Reputation: 54 Blurvfocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Yeah... I'll bet it is that.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:42 PM   #6
sgatepunk
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egz View Post
I am assuming thats the little plastic switch down there that gets pushed in when the clutch is pressed. I am really going to kick myself if I forgot to plug that back in. Thanks for the knowledge, I will check into it when I get home.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:41 PM   #7
viney266
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 93
What I Drive: focus ztw ,zx3,mustang, motorcycles

Points 232,586, Level 100
Points: 232,586, Level: 100 Points: 232,586, Level: 100 Points: 232,586, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 112 viney266 Excellent Standing Member viney266 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
^^^ Yeah, that's it!
Old 07-30-2007, 07:13 AM   #8
sgatepunk
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egz View Post
Checked it out when I got home, and it was the clutch safety switch. Looks like I bent the mount a little when I was working down there and it wasnt being pushed all of the way in now. If I actually press the button all of the way in, the car starts fine. Thanks a million guys!
Old 07-30-2007, 10:25 AM   #9
nomad327
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 19440
What I Drive: red 2002 svt focus

FF Reputation: 13 nomad327 Great Standing Member
there's a spec in the manual for the length of the pushrod on the green, grey and black switches(all three have a different extended length). I don't have it here, but the purpose for giving you a length spec is that you have to forcibly pull the plunger out of the three switches before reinstallation, and it takes a bit more effort than you would normally feel comfortable with applying to get them out that 1/4" or so extra. (red for clutch top of travel is not adjustable), You then assemble the switches in overextended condition, and the first time you push on the pedal, they auto adjust. Getting them just so was a bit scary at first, and took more time than most of the rest of the job until I was satisfied with them.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.