putting a scoop in my hood - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-20-2007, 11:23 PM   #1
sonicblue02
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 35993
What I Drive: 2002 SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 8 sonicblue02 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
putting a scoop in my hood

I have a 02 SVT that I have turbo charged. It is currently waiting on a new clutch. I figured since it won't be going anywhere for a while, I would put a vent in my hood to help with the heat the turbo makes.

I didn't want an evo style, I wanted more of a subtle reverse scoop so this is what I have after a few hours.

First I took the time to measure where the manifold and turbo were exactly and decided to put the scoop directly over and behind the manifold. I also thought it would look good if it was only on one half of the hood.

Then I used a cut off wheel to cut out the scoop. I left just the corners so that it would have some regidity so I could cut out the bracing and grind off the paint with out the metal flopping around.

Then I cut out the corners, rounding them off. Once I had the piece cut I hammered and dollied the edge of the scoop so that it had a slight upward bend and put a smooth bed in the center of the scoop so that it left about an inch to two inch opening.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Here's what I got done this morning.

Here is the pieces to fill in the sides.

Here thsy are tacked in. I am waiting to fully weld in the pieces until I get the front tacked in.

When I get back from ashville I will try to finishin the front piece and tacking everything in.

Just got finished making the front piece and welding everything in. I also got some of the grinding done.

Here is the piece I made so that it wouldn't be just a square hole at the opening of the scoop.

Here is everything after I welded and grinded it.

I'll try and finish grind the welds and start filling tomorrow.

Got all the welds grinded and got filler on it. I still have a little final prep work to do before priming, which I hope to get done tomorrow.

Here it is after putting on the filler but before sanding.

Here it is after sanding.

Like I said, I plan on primering it tomorrow.

Today I got it in primer.

Here the hood is completly sanded and cleaned. I ended up blocking the entire center section because I had a few minor hail dents. This also made iteasier to mask for primer.

This is the primer I used. It is called Slick Sand, it is made by Evercoat. The reason I used this is besause it can go directly over bare metal, fills great, and can be reduced with any generic reducer. It also can be dry or wet sanded and you can spray base on it. Also it is only $65 a gallon. The only draw back is you need agun with a 1.7 tip.

Here the hood is all primered. I would have used an epoxy primer before I sprayed the Slick Sand if I had more bare metal, but since I only had a small spot I wasn't too worried. When i sprayed I was careful not to get too close to my tape edges. Even though I did roll backs all the way around, if I were to spray right to the edge thereis still a chance of solvent build up. this might show up later in the base and clear.

The primer I used is notorious for shrinking back so I am going to cut it open tomorrow and let it sit for a few days. This way I don't get any bondo tracking in my base and clear. Eventhough I finished all my work with 220, there still might be a random 80g scratch the might pop up so it is just good insurance to wait. Plus I want to get my front and rear bumper ready and spray all at the same time. So this is it for a few days.

Finally got it painted toady.

Here is a pic of the hood ready for sanding. The black paint is used as a guide coat. It will show me my high and low spots, letting me know what is left to sand and maby primer agan.

I didn't take any pics before I painted the bottom. All I did was scuff around the underside, sprayed some etching primer, and seam sealed the welds. I was too lazy to take the time to grind them and clean them up. Here it is after spraying some color on the under side. All that's left to do is put the mesh in the opening and then the heat protector under the hood.

After that dried i just flipped it over and sprayed the top. I also didn't rember to get any pics of the top all sanded and scuffed. The only problem I had was a few small gouges in the paint from sanding the primer. I just had to wait a few minutes for it to flash then i wet sanded them out. This is the hood after the final drop coat of paint ready for clear.

And finally here it is all cleared. This is after two and a half coats of clear. I usually only do two coats but since ther was so much dirt I wanted enough material to polish.

All that's left to do is let it sit for a few days then color sand and buff.
____________________________________________________________________________________

Got the hoood installed. Sorry about the crappy camera phone pics, I'll try to get better ones tomorrow. All that's left is a st170 grill and finish fixing my front bumper and the front end is done.

Last edited by sonicblue02; 08-05-2007 at 10:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2007, 11:28 PM   #2
akmer
Banned

Fan#: 25083
What I Drive: 2004 Infra Red zx3

FF Reputation: 2 akmer Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
great stuff...keep the deatils comeing i want to do this on my car but over the filter of the sri
Old 07-20-2007, 11:29 PM   #3
Focusedat50
It's been fun.......

Fan#: 1409
What I Drive: Boosted ZX5 ATX - 179WHP/158TQ

FF Reputation: 2 Focusedat50 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (30)
Looks like you're off to a good start. My only concern is that you cut through the underside bracing. I just added a Roush scoop and made it functional but worked around the cross bracing....but maybe I'm just too cautious. I was worried that the hood would become too flimsy without the under bracing.

I built a windage tray for mine as well to divert as much water as possible.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:40 PM   #4
sonicblue02
Focus Enthusiast

I'm not to worried about the bracing not being there. By the time I get through welding the rest of the pieces in and hammer and dollying, the metal should be nice and rigid.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:53 PM   #5
Duffman355
Tasty Red Meat

Fan#: 31282
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue SE Sport 5 Spd

FF Reputation: 43 Duffman355 Great Standing Member
looks pretty sweet so far. It should look pretty badass in the end
ST Crew #11 / SSR #5
Official Mayo Hater #1
Randomie's Lover #8
Old 07-21-2007, 12:28 AM   #6
homeboyjames
Focus Addict

Fan#: 35230
What I Drive: 07 Black ST Check profile for mods

FF Reputation: 6 homeboyjames Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Hell yeah dude thats some cool skills keep us posted
-=ST CREW #61=-
-=SEDAN REVOLUTION #77=-
Old 07-21-2007, 11:52 AM   #7
GZetec
Focus Addict

Fan#: 36463
What I Drive: 01 White SE 4dr

FF Reputation: 1 GZetec Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
i wouldnt worry about the bracing, unless you like to sit on your hood alot...
looks awesome i wanna cut some gills in my hood sooo bad but i dont want to repaint the whole thing.
Currently cruising with: AEM CAI. Shorty header. FC HF Cat. CatBack 2.25" & Flex. FC UDP's. Euro Upper and Lower grill and clear corners. Halo Headlights. Tune by Turbo Tom. SVT Struts, Eibach Springs. Ported TB.

Television. Rules the Nation.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:41 PM   #8
sonicblue02
Focus Enthusiast

Here's what I got done this morning.

Here is the pieces to fill in the sides.

Here thsy are tacked in. I am waiting to fully weld in the pieces until I get the front tacked in.

When I get back from ashville I will try to finishin the front piece and tacking everything in.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:46 PM   #9
OrangeSVTguy
Get Squashed

Fan#: 33384
What I Drive: '04 Comp. Orange SVT 3dr.

FF Reputation: 44 OrangeSVTguy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (16)
hey man looks good. be sure to edit your ortinal post as you add more info and go further into your project, it will keep this thread more clean and organized. i'll pm S2 about this thread and he can add this up to our HOW-TO forum. can't wait to see it all done.
SVT Squad #227 || Build # 1329 of 1978 || FF ROTM Oct. 2006
Old 07-21-2007, 12:56 PM   #10
sonicblue02
Focus Enthusiast

can do

Bookmarks & Social Networks