brightest headlight bulb? - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-02-2007, 11:16 PM   #21
BlueSEsvt
Focus Addict

Fan#: 48460
What I Drive: 2001 Blue Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 BlueSEsvt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
where do you buy the silverstars from? autozone?
Sedan Revolution #165
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2007, 12:12 AM   #22
Noob4Life
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 49890
What I Drive: 2004 Platinum Gray Jetta GLI

FF Reputation: 2 Noob4Life Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I'm going to go with the Halo's when I get the money. Those ones look great IMPO. My headlights are all scratched and fogged ATM.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:28 AM   #23
FocU
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 36693
What I Drive: 2000 Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 4 FocU Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob4Life View Post
I'm going to go with the Halo's when I get the money. Those ones look great IMPO. My headlights are all scratched and fogged ATM.
thats how my 2000 focus is like. Halo's here next as well.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:22 PM   #24
BlueSEsvt
Focus Addict

Fan#: 48460
What I Drive: 2001 Blue Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 BlueSEsvt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
halos are great i have them got em for 25 bucks from my sisters focus lol im only 17 haha i look for good deals:)
Sedan Revolution #165
Old 09-04-2007, 07:06 PM   #25
BuffysMom
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 50000
What I Drive: 2002 Bright Red SE

FF Reputation: 1 BuffysMom Good Standing Member
Question Headlamp Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by toeycrack View Post
if you want bright builbs but don''t want to spend to much.. if you got 100 laying around get urself some hid kit plug n play one from ebay, kid that i know got them and theyh really nice. their not hte ones that change color from distance its just 1 concent color. good kit
Can anyone tell me if there are any bulbs (?) out there for a Focus like the ones you see on Nissian Altimas, Lexus, etc ? They're either Halogen or something. When you meet a car at night, they tend to look blue/violet from a distance. I love that look. Do they make "anything" like that for a Focus?
Old 09-04-2007, 07:09 PM   #26
Dcl2049
MyCarBreaksAlot

Fan#: 18957
What I Drive: 2002 Malibu Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 69 Dcl2049 Excellent Standing Member
They are HID. And yes there are some available, but I wouldn't put them in the stock reflectors.
At least get some decent projector headlights for them. The SVT Focus had the option of those lights but if I recall they were 4700K temperature and therefore were more of a yellow/white than deep blue/violet. They still sell them as parts, so you can pick up one of those kits and do it easily and high quality.

As far as Silverstars... I had one side that would last a long time, but every 3 months (exactly!) the other side would keep blowing.
After about 3 of those bulbs blowing out on the same side at the same time interval, I swithced to Hella bulbs. They are about the same price, not quite as white, not quite as bright, but have lasted almost a year now.
Dan - gumpcrew #4
[BBS][Borla][Focus Central][Hella][K&N][Koni][Lentech][Wings West]
#23 STS Wiregrass Region SCCA
Old 09-04-2007, 07:13 PM   #27
SkaAddict
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1690
FF Reputation: 69 SkaAddict Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
To clear up some misinformation; Sylvania silverstars and other similar blue-coated bulbs are not brighter than a standard halogen bulb. The bulb is identical to the standard clear glass bulbs sold by the same manufacturer, the only difference is the blue coating. Halogen lights produce little light in the blue spectrum and coating the bulb blue reduces the lumen count by blocking light out. Blue-coated bulbs only give the appearance of being brighter because the light is a different shade, lumen for lumen they're actually dimmer.

If you want a truly brigher bulb look for GE Nighthawk, Osram Silverstar (not to be confused with the readily-available Sylvania Silverstars sold here) or Narva +50s.

As far as HID retrofit kits...stay as far as possible away from them. Aside from being illegal, HID retrofits give you a false sense of security by illuminating directly in front of the car and to a lesser extent to the sides very well, and not much else past 50-100'. If you want HIDs get factory housings.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:37 PM   #28
BuffysMom
Focus Rookie

Thank you so much for your information. After checking on E-Bay, it seems they only have Halogens for the Z-Series.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:46 PM   #29
BuffysMom
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcl2049 View Post
They are HID. And yes there are some available, but I wouldn't put them in the stock reflectors.
At least get some decent projector headlights for them. The SVT Focus had the option of those lights but if I recall they were 4700K temperature and therefore were more of a yellow/white than deep blue/violet. They still sell them as parts, so you can pick up one of those kits and do it easily and high quality.

As far as Silverstars... I had one side that would last a long time, but every 3 months (exactly!) the other side would keep blowing.
After about 3 of those bulbs blowing out on the same side at the same time interval, I swithced to Hella bulbs. They are about the same price, not quite as white, not quite as bright, but have lasted almost a year now.
Thank you for your quick response. It seems like the Halogens on E-Bay are for the Z Class Focus. Would I be able to find a HID kit from the manufacturer for my SE ? I sound a little vain , don't I ?
Old 09-05-2007, 10:22 AM   #30
liquidst07
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 49552
What I Drive: 2007 Focus ST Liquid Gray

FF Reputation: 1 liquidst07 Good Standing Member
I wonder what these are like...

http://www.xtralights.com/index.asp?...it+pair&Page=1

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->