Alternator installation - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-17-2007, 12:02 PM   #1
jdtilley
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 48833
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 jdtilley Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Alternator installation

I'm trying to replace the alternator in a 2002 ZX3. It was a real pain getting it out once it was unbolted, but I managed it thanks to these forums.

Problem: To get it off the bracket I used a screwdriver and crowbar. it worked...but I was lucky to get my core! Anyway, I'm having trouble getting it on the bracket now without using any tools that could damage the new alternator. Any tricks or advice?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2007, 12:16 PM   #2
tiresmoker
What bump stop?

Fan#: 20426
What I Drive: '00 ZX3 Turbo, '06 ST Turbo

FF Reputation: 24 tiresmoker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
what I did was file down the bracket just a tiny tiny bit in order to get the alternator to slip back on. I've done this on a few focuses and have seen no ill effects.

If you have a dremel sand down the face on the belt side of the bracket around the bolt holes. You don't have to take much off at all. Just enough to get the alternator to slip snuggly on the bracket without having to force it on. If you don't have a dremel you can use a file or sandpaper. The sandpaper will take the longest obviously.
ST Crew #19
2006 ST Turbo: JUNE 07 ROTM 2007 Ride of the Year
2000 ZX3: superturbochargedpartscar
2005 Shinka RX-8: too many mods....
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03OrangeSVT
It was like concentrated death on chicken
Old 07-17-2007, 01:03 PM   #3
jdtilley
Focus Rookie

Thanks, that's a good idea. I might save that one as a last effort though. I'm trying to be as safe as possible.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:16 PM   #4
jdtilley
Focus Rookie

Still no luck :( I should be doing all this in reverse right? So would that mean I should line up the rear bolt first? I just don't see how that would allow room to rotate and align the front bolt. I'm guessing its probably aligning both at once that is the trick, I just can't seem to figure out how. It sounds like it is commonly a problem to do this, does anyone else have any experience at this? If its not an alignment issue, but a forcing that sucker on there issue, what are some ways I can get leverage without harming the alternator or other parts? Somebody help PLEASE!
Old 07-17-2007, 06:15 PM   #5
tiresmoker
What bump stop?

Fan#: 20426
What I Drive: '00 ZX3 Turbo, '06 ST Turbo

FF Reputation: 24 tiresmoker Great Standing Member
Every alternator I've put on a focus was just like this. That's why I suggested shaving off just enough material on the bracket to allow the alternator to slip on the bracket. It's almost as if it's a press fit.

Unless you have a really long pry bar and some blocking I can't see around this. By that I mean block out from the firewall and pry against that on the alternator.

I know it sucks, I was in your position at one time. The very first time I changed an alternator years ago on a focus it took two days because I couldn't figure out a way to press the alternator back on to the bracket. Finally it hit me to just smooth off some of the bracket and the sucker slipped right on.

Once you have it on the bolts torqued down will hold it in place. I wouldn't suggest it if it hadn't worked numerous times.
ST Crew #19
2006 ST Turbo: JUNE 07 ROTM 2007 Ride of the Year
2000 ZX3: superturbochargedpartscar
2005 Shinka RX-8: too many mods....
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03OrangeSVT
It was like concentrated death on chicken
Old 07-18-2007, 06:13 AM   #6
Piinkhandcuffss
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 45676
What I Drive: 2001 Orange zx3

FF Reputation: 1 Piinkhandcuffss Good Standing Member
ive never had the prob with the bracket. just was a pain in the rear to get it from behind the engine. how dose ever one elese get it out from car
Old 07-18-2007, 09:04 AM   #7
jdtilley
Focus Rookie

Thanks tiresmoker. I think I'm about at that point now. Pinkhandcuffs, I got it out from behind the engine by taking out the three front engine mounts, jacking the engine on a block of wood, and wedging the engine toward the front of the car. Then I took off the piece of metal bolted to the engine lifting eye (not sure if that's essential). It was still a pain to get out after all that.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:04 PM   #8
jdtilley
Focus Rookie

I finally got it without having to file anything. The alternator has sleeves in the holes where the bolts go. Screw the bolt through the hole with a little hanging out. Then hammer the bolthead until the bushing goes far enough into the recess. That's it. It went on no problem. And it only took me three days to figure this out!
Old 07-18-2007, 10:45 PM   #9
goinloco1
Late for Dinner

Fan#: 8529
What I Drive: 13 stang

FF Reputation: 90 goinloco1 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
way easier to do it from underneath.
remove oil filter, undo belt and the long bolt from the top (may not come out completely). back underneath take out the two bolts for the alt mount you can get at and loosen the other. rotate the bracket with the alt on it, hold alt with one hand and pop loose from bracket with a screwdriver. lower it down, push the rack shield against the rack and remove alt betweem rack and passenger side axle. reverse to assemble

know i forgot steps, but those are the essential ones.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:15 AM   #10
viney266

Fan#: 93
What I Drive: focus ztw ,zx3,mustang, motorcycles

FF Reputation: 112 viney266 Excellent Standing Memberviney266 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdtilley View Post
I finally got it without having to file anything. The alternator has sleeves in the holes where the bolts go. Screw the bolt through the hole with a little hanging out. Then hammer the bolthead until the bushing goes far enough into the recess. That's it. It went on no problem. And it only took me three days to figure this out!

Yes, I just saw this...sorry. Glad you figured it out. Those little slider pins are odd. They work great once you realize they are there. Glad you got it together!

Bookmarks & Social Networks