Ford Racing BBK Tune Issues - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-16-2007, 06:42 PM   #1
Charged SVTF
Was that our exit?!?

Fan#: 22047
What I Drive: 2002 Sonic Blue Supercharged SVT

FF Reputation: 30 Charged SVTF Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Ford Racing BBK Tune Issues

Some of you have seen my post with my Dyno results from Friday. Had a poor showing of 198 wheel hp and 161 wheel torque. I also had an extremely rich air fuel mixture across the RPM band at WOT. Dynos and graphs can be found here: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128033

Ford Racing did allow me to send in my graph and logs from the dyno runs in an email along with my modifications.

And just as I expected would happen. They are pawning off my results mostly on my Focussport CoolFlo and also ambient temperatures. They are completely ignoring the rich air fuel and low numbers.

Now how should I handle this? I would like, mainly out of principal, Ford Racing to take some kind of action. I know I am not the only Forum member that has documented the "safe" fuel mixture used by the Ford Racing tune. I do plan on getting a custom tune at some point. Ill let you vendors fight for my money later lol. As of right now I kinda need them to provide a reflash since I am about to be laid off and am having problems finding a new job.

Instead of linking you to another thread, I will quote the last email exchange from Ford Racing and Myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by connolly92
The last reply before they closed shop for the day. This is I guess from the Tech that loads the programs. His name is Chris apparently. It would be great if McNews or Focussport chimed in.

Chris from Ford Racing:
" 1) IAT of 89.9 deg is from the sensor in the air meter and data logged from the processor? Why is it not plotted along with hp, tq, or a/f? Looks more like ambient air temp was 89.9 deg F, in which case the correction factor (less than 1) is not to an SAE standard, at those conditions SAE correction would be more like 1.10xx

2) If ambient air temp was 89.9 deg F then he should compare his dyno to other people's runs in the same ambient conditions. Compared to a run done on a 60 deg F ambient day of course the power and torque will be lower when done at 90 deg F ambient. What were the ambient conditions of his original non big-boost dyno run? 200whp on a 90 deg day is pretty good.

3) Anything other than the OEM SVT intake most certainly can cause variations in the intended fuel mixture and ignition timing. Changing the inlet system ahead of the MAF can have a drastic effect on the measured vs. actual air flow and therefore the resulting fuel mixture and ignition timing.

-Charles

Ray Herron
Ford Racing
Technical Support Group
(800) 367-3788
rherron9@ford.com"

My Reply:
"Dear Charles,
1. That was Ambient air measured at the filter by the sensors provided by Axcelerated Motorsports. They just like to monitor the intake temperatures
at the filter and also provide the humidity for the dyno runs.

2. Sure, 200whp on a non Big Boost dyno run would be better than satisfactory on a 90 degree day, however this was a Big Boost Kit run on a 90 degree and the number shown were only 198whp. I would believe you agree that 198whp is unsatisfactory when using 9psi versus the non big boost kit model of 5-6psi.

3. Ok, if you would like to say there would be a difference between a non factory intake and a factory intake, sure, I will agree with you. But a 20whp difference along with an extrememly rich A/F ratio, that is pushing it?

Here is what I plan on doing since nothing is being addressed towards the actual problem of poor numbers and rich fuel mixture besides the mention of the intake. I will call Axcelerated Motorsports and set another date to hop on the dyno. I will replace the stock airbox, unplug the negative on the battery to reset the ECU, clean the MAF and throttle body, and then make another pass on the dyno.

My question is, if the HP and TQ numbers are low once again, and the fuel mixture is excessively rich in the 10's, do you plan to provide any solutions to the problem? I am in noway shape or form trying to be a persistant pain-in-the-ass. I am however being persistent to come to a solution. Thank you for your time and response.

Tim Connolly"

2nd time they pawned it on the intake.
If you took the time to read through all of this, GOD BLESS YOUR HEART. Thanks for any suggestions or ideas.

2002 Sonic Blue SVT #246 of 4788 cardomain.com/ride/2483606
- JRSC BBK - Exhaust - Intake - Suspension -
First Place 2007 Season SJR-SCCA Solo and 2007 Rookie of the Year SJR-SCCA #20 SM
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2007, 06:48 PM   #2
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 51,004, Level 100
Points: 51,004, Level: 100 Points: 51,004, Level: 100 Points: 51,004, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 37%
Activity: 37% Activity: 37% Activity: 37%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
I think what he is trying to say is, It is your intake BECAUSE your intake moves the MAF sensor and in a lot of cases creates a rich/lean condition from the movement of said sensor. And Ford has no way to adjust for aftermarket parts so there isnt much they can do to help with this
Your best bet is to find a good tuner and have it tuned on a Dyno

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 07-16-2007, 06:54 PM   #3
Charged SVTF
Was that our exit?!?

True. Then if I hop on the dyno for a couple runs with the stock airbox, they should be inclined to give a reflash? Right now I could spend 75 bucks for another quick run if the results would be a reflash from Ford Racing. I am about to be laid off and cant chuck out a half grand for a custom tune, otherwise I would be going to one of our forum vendors/sponsors for said tuning.
First Place 2007 Season SJR-SCCA Solo and 2007 Rookie of the Year SJR-SCCA #20 SM
Old 07-17-2007, 12:12 PM   #4
Charged SVTF
Was that our exit?!?

Its official, Ford Racing plans on doing nothing, kinda as expected. Just got off the phone with Ray Herron again, he already knew the answer to my email about redynoing the car with the stock airbox. He just couldnt spend the time replying to my email I guess, or he might actually have been working on other projects this morning.

They state that the intake temperature at the filter of 89 degrees is why the numbers are down and why the car is running a rich fuel mixture, pulling timing. He stated that putting in the stock box may help the numbers and Improve A/F ratios.

So basically you should get under 200whp with the JRSC BBK on an SVT Focus with a rich a/f ratio during summer seasons. So Eat it lol.

Would it have been so difficult for me to email them my ECU again and them lean it out to a WOT A/F of 11.0?!?
Old 07-17-2007, 01:04 PM   #5
cayres
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 35184
What I Drive: 03 Comp Orange EAP SVT, 06 ZX3 SES

FF Reputation: 8 cayres Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
they prolly do not do that though because then there would be issues with reliability and give their tune a bad name if they did that and you popped your motor.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:05 PM   #6
cayres
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 35184
What I Drive: 03 Comp Orange EAP SVT, 06 ZX3 SES

FF Reputation: 8 cayres Good Standing Member
ohh and their prolly busy with a really sweet tune for the 08 mustang.....pshhh
Old 07-18-2007, 01:13 AM   #7
4 Bangin' Ben
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 28215
What I Drive: 2004 CD Silver SVTF

Points 2,056, Level 27
Points: 2,056, Level: 27 Points: 2,056, Level: 27 Points: 2,056, Level: 27
Level Up 38% Completed
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 4 Bangin' Ben Good Standing Member
When I get my car out of the shop tomorrow (having jrsc/bbk put on) I'll have them put it on the dyno and see what I'm making. I think there could be factors playing in as to why your making below 200 hp. Maybe it needs to be retuned with some of the mods you have because the FR tune works off the stock intake, and stock TB. ... I hope I'm getting my monies worth with this kit and tune....
Old 07-18-2007, 12:54 PM   #8
Springbuck
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 23301
What I Drive: 03 CD Silver SVT 5DR

FF Reputation: 1 Springbuck Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
With my SVT BBK I got a 187hp with the stock airbox with K&N drop in filter at a lower temp with my AF at or below 10 at WOT as well. With stock BBK tune.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:09 PM   #9
Charged SVTF
Was that our exit?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbuck View Post
With my SVT BBK I got a 187hp with the stock airbox with K&N drop in filter at a lower temp with my AF at or below 10 at WOT as well. With stock BBK tune.
Do you have your dyno graph and data table?
Old 07-19-2007, 09:31 AM   #10
Springbuck
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 23301
What I Drive: 03 CD Silver SVT 5DR

FF Reputation: 1 Springbuck Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
It was posted on here a while ago. I will look for the post.

Here is the link:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...highlight=Dyno

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.