Almost blew tires off coming home from Calgary - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-30-2003, 01:50 AM   #1
FOCUS_ZTS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 351
What I Drive: Focus Se Zetec

FF Reputation: 1 FOCUS_ZTS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Almost blew tires off coming home from Calgary

I was coming home from Calgary on sunday and felt something not right in my suspension. I figured it was a balancing problem. So I go to Ford today and they put the tires on the machine. He brings me over and shows me what the tire is doing and it is all over the place. He says they are separating! I tell him i hit 170 once and averaged about 140 on the way home the day before and i get the you could have died your tires could have blown. So I'm like OMFG. So ya I need new tires I go tomorrow to put some on or book for the next day. I already have priced out some tires. I need All-Season because winter is around the corner. Then I'll worry about 17"s next year. So my car is riding on 195 60R 15's. I have priced out some 235 50 15's or 225 55 15's. I figure go with more tread to the ground and also make the tires look good with some width. The bigger tires fit very close to the 195's. speed may be out 2-3kph but thats not a problem and diameter is almost exact. Infact the 235's are exact same as the 195. These will become my winter only tires with the factory rims. What do you guys think of my idea? Do you think the bigger tires will look good? (nice fat tires under the focus) They are still low profile but fatter giving me more grip for winter. then if the 17's are not doable next year i'll have some good rubber till I can afford the 17's. They come with something like 130,000 warranty.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2003, 02:11 AM   #2
pitchblackab
Focus Addict

Fan#: 210
What I Drive: 2002 zx3 power premium auto

FF Reputation: 1 pitchblackab Good Standing Member
I was like is he on crack till i say you are in canada i was like so 170 hmm turbocharged huge wing super drop then i realize kilometers LOL. Yeah a nice wider tire would be nice.
Old 09-30-2003, 02:20 AM   #3
Troublelucky
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 977
What I Drive: 03 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Troublelucky Good Standing Member
225/235s fit?

What brand tires?
Old 09-30-2003, 03:40 AM   #4
CowsGoMoo
Focus Addict

Fan#: 324
What I Drive: VW GLI 1.8Turbo

FF Reputation: 1 CowsGoMoo Good Standing Member
225's rub, 235's rub more, if it's a winter tire, go narrower vs wider. stay with your stock size, pay less for the smaller tire, and invest some money into a nice set of 17x7 215/40's in the spring.

My ZX5 Focus!
Old 09-30-2003, 04:26 AM   #5
FOCUS_ZTS
Focus Enthusiast

I have been looking on the net and I think I'm going to go with some 205 60 15's. Remember I may need the all-seasons for summer if I cant afford the 17x7's in the spring. So I think having the 205's aren't to much bigger but are bigger if you know what I mean.
Old 09-30-2003, 01:59 PM   #6
No_6
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 919
What I Drive: 02 R1, 89 Civic, soon: '99 Birkin S3

FF Reputation: 1 No_6 Good Standing Member
I actually heard that skinnier tyres are better for rain. Don't know about the snow. But yeah... save yourself some cash, and spend the money on the 17's next year.
Old 09-30-2003, 05:25 PM   #7
FOCUS_ZTS
Focus Enthusiast

Well the tires are done 205 60 15's. I got the michelin HydroEdge. I got them for 614.00 CDN installed. the 195 60 15's were only a few dollars/tire less so I went with the big tires. I like them and my car feels nice again. they seem to stick to the road very nicely. OH BTW I now have 140,000km tread warranty on them and hazard warranty. Free rotations and flat repair. Iam a happy camper.
Old 10-01-2003, 12:16 AM   #8
Project Draven
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 412
What I Drive: 03 Zx3

FF Reputation: 1 Project Draven Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
You buy those at a Sears FOCUS_ZTS?
Those are some damn good tires!
Sadly, I work at a Sears Auto Center!
Old 10-01-2003, 04:17 AM   #9
FOCUS_ZTS
Focus Enthusiast

I got them from Ford. They could have got any tire I wanted. They phoned a tire place here in the city that they deal with. I came back 45 min later and they had picked them up and were ready for install. I sat and talked with one of the Sales guys for like 1 hour and the car was done. They were busy but got me in anyway. I have driven on them for a total of 1 hour so far and I am very impressed. they feel like they grip very well. I did a launch at a light and only had a little cherp then they grabbed hard and I was off.
Old 10-01-2003, 12:41 PM   #10
spyride
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 739
What I Drive: 03 Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 spyride Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by No_6
I actually heard that skinnier tyres are better for rain. Don't know about the snow. But yeah... save yourself some cash, and spend the money on the 17's next year.
average sized tire with good tread for rain, need the tread to channel the water out from under neath your tire, and thin tires for snow, to push out the snow so that the tire hits the cement, where as wider tires have the tendency to flatten the snow, so you in sence still hydroplan, but on "ice' instead of water.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.