Lets talk about fuel pressure - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-14-2007, 12:48 AM   #1
03OrangeSVT
LETS TURN DIRT!!!!

Fan#: 19169
What I Drive: MINI Cooper S TURBO

FF Reputation: 152 03OrangeSVT Excellent Standing Member 03OrangeSVT Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Smile Lets talk about fuel pressure

Here lately I've been seeing alot of fuel pressure threads so I decided to start a new post and share what little knowledge I have on the subject and for others to post any extra info they may have as well.

In general a stock NA Focus runs just a little over 39psi of fuel pressure so for arguements sake we'll just call it 40psi. When running ANY form of BOOST you need at least 1 "EXTRA" pound of fuel pressure per pound of boost you are running.

For example if you run 10psi of boost you "should" run 50psi of fuel.

The SVT.....

After playing around with Egbertnr's SVT and making SEVERAL datalogs I noticed something that was happening on his that happened on mine. When under boost on a WOT run once I hit 4500rpm the fuel pressure would start dropping off at an alarming rate and sometimes it would reach dangerously low levels... I'm talking about "blow the motor" levels.

After a few runs I decided to log the fuel pump's output and I found something that everyone should know. When running ONLY 10psi the fuel demand is so high that once you get around 4500rpms the pressure falls off fast... WHY??? The fuel pump is at 100% capacity ( when NOT running a Boost A Pump) here is a screen shot of what I saw....

Yellow is fuel pump output, Black is fuel pressure, and Red is RPM..... Interesting isnt it.

Once we figured out that the fuel pressure wouldn't hold, I decided to gowith a BAP, and it helped some... not alot but it was better than what I had.

A few months later I was playing around with some of the fuel settings in the ECU and "HOLY SHIT" I had fuel pressure and ALOT of it.....

As you can see with the BAP and the proper settings in the ECU you can get GREAT fuel pressure... at 19psi of boost I need 59psi of fuel, with the new settings you can see I was holding 62psi with ease.... NO aftermarket fuel pump, fuel rail, lines or anything else... all STOCK components... except the Boost a Pump.

And I want to add that at 360whp the fuel was starting to fall off... but I feel anything less than 350whp should be fine.

The Zetec..... Well there aren't as many good things to say about the Zetec. Even with the same pump as the SVT and with a BAP you are still limited to the amount of fuel pressure you can obtain on the stock stuff. For some reason Tom cant get the tuning that we figured out for the SVT to work on the regular Zetec and I dont have anyone close that has FI to experiment on.

There is still the possibility of using a return style fuel system and I'm sure that someone that has done it will chime in sooner or later.

I hope this has helped to shed a little light on the "Fuel Issues" that it seems like is plagueing alot of the FI guys out there.

John

EDIT: The correct datalog PID I used was the fuel pump duty cycle... I couldn't remember it last night.

2004 Harley V-Rod.... sex on wheels
2011 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Limited
[/b]

Last edited by 03OrangeSVT; 07-14-2007 at 08:27 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2007, 09:46 AM   #2
Turbo Turtle
Fins Up!

Fan#: 32772
What I Drive: Miata, STi, GSXR1k

Points 20,705, Level 90
Points: 20,705, Level: 90 Points: 20,705, Level: 90 Points: 20,705, Level: 90
Level Up 72% Completed
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 54 Turbo Turtle Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (25)
thanks john.

to bad i dont live closer. i would be glad to let tom experiment with my zetec. but since i dont i guess im going return.

john do you not have any problem with the fuel not getting to the pump under hard acceleration?

facebook.com/TurboTurtleGarage
TurboTurtleFab@gmail.com
Old 07-14-2007, 10:05 AM   #3
03OrangeSVT
LETS TURN DIRT!!!!

FF Reputation: 152 03OrangeSVT Excellent Standing Member 03OrangeSVT Excellent Standing Member
No problems at all... at least thats what the datalog implies... and my independant FRP gauge.
[/b]
Old 07-14-2007, 10:11 AM   #4
blackturbohatch46
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 31359
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3

Points 1,602, Level 23
Points: 1,602, Level: 23 Points: 1,602, Level: 23 Points: 1,602, Level: 23
Level Up 2% Completed
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 blackturbohatch46 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
he can experiement with mine! i live in nc!!

Focus Central Short Shifter, Roush Turbo Kit, Focus Sport UPD, SVT Brake Kit, RT Cat, Focus Central Cam Gears, Focus Sport Plugs and Wires, Focus Sport Front and Rear Stress Bars, Focus Central 65mm TB, Borla Exhaust, Greddy Turbo Timer, Greddy e-01 Computer, OZ Superleggeras, H&R Coilovers, ACT Clutch, Focus Sport Flywheel, Greddy Gauges.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:13 AM   #5
03OrangeSVT
LETS TURN DIRT!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackturbohatch46 View Post
he can experiement with mine! i live in nc!!
But I'm in Ohio.....
[/b]
Old 07-14-2007, 11:03 AM   #6
Turbo Turtle
Fins Up!

Points 20,705, Level 90
Level Up 72% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
i think he means tom, lol.

do you know what keeps the svt from loosing fuel to the pump under hard acceleration. is the pump at a different part of the tank or something?

TurboTurtleFab@gmail.com
Old 07-14-2007, 12:00 PM   #7
Zx3'dUrSvt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 40333
What I Drive: '01 zx3

FF Reputation: 1 Zx3'dUrSvt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
would one of those fuel pressure regulators with the boost sensative things make a difference? i know that they're "supposed" to add 1 psi of pressure for every psi of bosst... so couldn't someone try to place one in the fuel line right before the rail where that ugly stock ufo disc looking thing is and hook up the vacuum line, add a gauge, and see if it works? granted you would need to change all the BAP and tune stuff to make sure the FPR was doing it and not all the other components set up. i could be completely wrong and not have the right idea about those things, because im trying to learn from you guys about this stuff
Old 07-14-2007, 12:18 PM   #8
Turbo Turtle
Fins Up!

Points 20,705, Level 90
Level Up 72% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
a fuel pressure regulator is for a return style fuel system. the focus has a dead head system with a variable fuel pump (not return style). a fuel pressure regulator wont work unless you convert to a return style system. then yes that is what you want.

TurboTurtleFab@gmail.com
Old 07-15-2007, 09:15 AM   #9
03OrangeSVT
LETS TURN DIRT!!!!

The rising rate regulator is needed for the return style system, personally I dont think it would help on the stock system.. if it would even work right at all.
[/b]
Old 07-16-2007, 11:44 AM   #10
JarJarBlinks
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 23505
What I Drive: 01 S2

FF Reputation: 1 JarJarBlinks Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
In the older big thread around about fuel pressure Tom talked about the fuel pump. If you datalog fuel duty cycle you will notice that there are 2 ways to log it; one way goes to 100% and the other way goes to about 60%. Looks like the one that hits 100% is an ajusted value.

Tom said if you measure volts going through the ground it only is 6-7 volts when the input wire is 12V at max duty cycle at the fuel pump. Aparantly the ECU controls the duty cycle through the ground somehow. Tom said he "supergrounded" the wire and got 60 PSI on a stock fuel pump. That is all I can really remember does anyone have any ideas on how to proceed. It would be great if a BAP plus rewiring the fuel pump gives us the necessary pressure. I want to keep the stock fuel pump/tank therefor I dont want to do a return setup. Thoughts?

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119193

"So i hooked the BAP up with the ground wire grounded and it fell to 54.6PSI and stayed there did 2 or 3 runs to back this up and she held perfect at 54,55PSI each run , this told me 2 things , 1) that the fuel pump , lines , filter , fuel rail were all large enough to do the job , 2) That it is a ECU controle meaning in the Diablo/SCT software there not giving us enough fuel pump controles or a design problem that cannot be controled with the ECU because the ground wire never goes above 7 volts at 100% pump dutycycle and fuel PSI at 23psi and it needs to go to 12 or 13 volts (full ground) ground "
eagle
12.x

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.