Seat Belt Mod - COMPLETE SILENCE - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-28-2004, 11:50 AM   #1
TryToFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 4589
What I Drive: 2001 Twilight Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 TryToFocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Cool Seat Belt Mod - COMPLETE SILENCE

I was going to title this thread "Death to the Six Bongs!", but I didn't want to scare off any potheads.

Forget that owner's manual nonsense - it doesn't completely stop the seatbelt reminder on my model. If I turn the key to "run" without my belt buckled, I have to listen to those six surprisingly-annoying dings. Screw that!

This mod is for people who wear their seatbelts, but prefer to start the car before buckling up. I don't know if the air bag system deploys the bag differently depending on whether or not the seat belt is buckled, so USE THE SEATBELT! Then again, if you're dumb enough not to use the seatbelt, then airbag deployment is, ironically, the least of your concerns.

I could have just cut the wire that connects to the seatbelt switch, but that's too Mickey Mouse for me. Instead, I traced the wire and pulled it from the harness in the driver's footwell. On my model, it's on the right side of the harness, third down from the top, and it's red & black. Whenever this wire is grounded, the electronics will think the belt is NOT buckled, so seal the end of the wire with tape or shrink-wrap tubing.

If you don't mind the Mickey Mouse method...

Two wires connect to the seat belt switch - one is black, and the other is red & black. The switch is normally closed, so cutting either wire will stop the seat belt chime. If you have side air bags, DO NOT go cutting wires indiscriminately under the driver's seat; trace the wires from the switch and/or use a multitester to be sure you're cutting the right wire.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2004, 11:53 AM   #2
smoknzx3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 2599
What I Drive: you crazy!

FF Reputation: 1 smoknzx3 Good Standing Member
You know you can stop this from happening by following these steps?

http://www.focusfanatics.com/howtos/seatbelt/
Old 04-28-2004, 01:04 PM   #3
TryToFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 4589
What I Drive: 2001 Twilight Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 TryToFocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by smoknzx3
You know you can stop this from happening by following these steps?

http://www.focusfanatics.com/howtos/seatbelt/

Not on my ZX3. And not on other Foci, from what I read a few weeks ago.

The link you gave won't completely stop the chime. It just stops the reminder that sounds (and flashes - whatever) when you start driving without the seatbelt, for instance.

I performed the mod you listed when I first bought my Focus, and it has worked just fine for over three years. It wasn't even affected by battery removal, etc. BUT it's not COMPLETE!!!

If I start my car without the belt buckled, it chimes six times. The ONLY way to stop that is to either redesign the car's electronics or bypass the seat belt switch, as far as I know.

Between this mod and my door chime mod, my car NEVER does any beeping or chiming. I love it! The only time I should ever hear any warning chimes is when something is actually wrong with the car - overheating, loss of oil pressure, etc.

Old 10-24-2004, 07:38 PM   #4
02SVTFOCI
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 147
What I Drive: 02 Red SVT

FF Reputation: 1 02SVTFOCI Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Thanks for this post.........thought I'd go ahead and do this while I install my new seats.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2004, 09:21 PM   #5
vanace
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 350
What I Drive: 2005 ST

FF Reputation: 1 vanace Good Standing Member
so your saying you have no patiance? So the thing dings for a few seconds when you start the car. So what? I did the belt minder turn off that is listed in the owners manual. That was good enough for me. I could care less about the chime for about 5 seconds when I start it. It is better than altering the wiring with unknown things happening, like possibly the air bags not deploying at all, or some other saftey issue.
ST crew #18
Old 10-24-2004, 11:38 PM   #6
cgrant
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 12845
What I Drive: 2004 Saleen N20 Focus #82

FF Reputation: 1 cgrant Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by vanace
so your saying you have no patiance? So the thing dings for a few seconds when you start the car. So what? I did the belt minder turn off that is listed in the owners manual. That was good enough for me. I could care less about the chime for about 5 seconds when I start it. It is better than altering the wiring with unknown things happening, like possibly the air bags not deploying at all, or some other saftey issue.
different strokes for different folks
Old 10-24-2004, 11:53 PM   #7
talonk4
Focus Addict

Fan#: 5737
What I Drive: 2k3 sangria red zx3

FF Reputation: 1 talonk4 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
hey tryto, i agree. i buckle up every time, but i like to use those few seconds of buckling up to warm up my car a bit usually (a trick i picked up from pizza driving during the winter). so thanks for the info!

rYan

Alpine, iPod, Infinity, Sony, FC, FS, FR, Pipercross

JMS lip kit

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.