eibach struts/non eibach springs?? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-08-2007, 01:20 PM   #1
02specv
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 16918
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 02specv Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
eibach struts/non eibach springs??

I have some Kazera springs that I'm about to put on the car and I'm trying to figure out what shocks to use with them. It's a daily driver that will never see anykind of track use. I don't to have to adjustanything, so that's why I don't really want the AGX's, but I figure that the eibachs are made for lowering springs so they should work good right? It's either those are some cheap springtech shocks from ebay.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2007, 02:06 PM   #2
Chadinfocus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 46943
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Grey SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 7 Chadinfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
You can go with the Eibach's dampers. You don't have to use the same brand for the dampers but they are supposed to be matched to work together. I am going to change my existing suspension setup for the better and get the KYB AGX's and some Eibach Sportlines. I wouldn't suggest buying anything cheap to use for your suspension because you will get what you pay for and regret it. Just a thought.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:02 PM   #3
Nliiitend1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 400
What I Drive: 2008 Silver MS3

FF Reputation: 5 Nliiitend1 Good Standing Member
The Eibachs should work just fine for those springs.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:37 PM   #4
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing MemberGeezer Excellent Standing Member
It would help if we knew the spring rates of the Kazeras. My guess is that they're not too stiff, but I could be wrong. If so the Eibachs will still be OK but you may be able to get away with SVT shocks as well and save a few bucks.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:45 PM   #5
02specv
Focus Enthusiast

Well I had emailed tire rack and asked them about the spring rates and he said he didn't have acess to them. The only other thing I can think of is to email kazera directly and ask them. One thing I noticed, and I don't know if other springs for the focus are like this, but the rear springs have like 4 or 5 coils that are really close together, and the instruction say that they are supposed to be fully compressed when they are on the car.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:59 PM   #6
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing MemberGeezer Excellent Standing Member
Think about it...a fully compressed spring or one without space between coils to accomodate compression means no travel, none, nada...zero! It's useless. That's just plain wrong. If indeed there is no space between coils I'd avoid them like the plague!!!!
Old 07-08-2007, 08:25 PM   #7
Nliiitend1
Focus Enthusiast

I heard a rumor that these were produced by H&R specifically for the Tire Rack. If that's the case, they might just be re-badged H&R Sport springs. That would make sense, being that they are progressive rate springs.

Just an FYI.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:50 PM   #8
02specv
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
Think about it...a fully compressed spring or one without space between coils to accomodate compression means no travel, none, nada...zero! It's useless. That's just plain wrong. If indeed there is no space between coils I'd avoid them like the plague!!!!
This is what the instructions say about it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazera
"Some of our springs have dead or inactive coils that act as a tender spring. These are the coils of the springs that are very close to each other. They are designed to be completely compressed when loaded.

Reason: When you increase the spring rate and lower the vehicle the spring needs to be shorter than the original. However, you do not want the springs to be loose in the spring perches when the suspension is fully extended. these dead or inactive coils prevent that from happening."
I also sent them an email asking about the spring rates.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:23 PM   #9
cfol77
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 31668
What I Drive: '00 non-sangria red, ZTS

FF Reputation: 2 cfol77 Good Standing Member
Originally Posted by Kazera
"Some of our springs have dead or inactive coils that act as a tender spring. These are the coils of the springs that are very close to each other. They are designed to be completely compressed when loaded.

Reason: When you increase the spring rate and lower the vehicle the spring needs to be shorter than the original. However, you do not want the springs to be loose in the spring perches when the suspension is fully extended. these dead or inactive coils prevent that from happening."

Yeah, the first thing I thought was that it will allow the wheel to droop down a little more rather than coming up off the pavement as often, like you sometimes see with vehicles that have so little suspension travel.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:57 PM   #10
Nliiitend1
Focus Enthusiast

Dead coils are not necessarily always a bad thing, provided that the spring rate is high enough. The H&R Race springs have more dead coils than just about any Focus springs you can get, and are considered by many to be the ultimate street/race comprimise.

My old H&R Cup Kit springs had very closely spaced coils as well, but only one or two of them were truly fully compressed with the car on the ground. My guess is that the Kazera springs actually have a gap (however very small) in those tightly compressed coils with the car on the ground as well. Under compression, I'm sure more of them become inactive, but like I said, that's not necessarily always a bad thing...

Bookmarks & Social Networks