The "Official" Aftermarket Brake Thread - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-08-2007, 06:16 AM   #1
SkaAddict
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1690
FF Reputation: 69 SkaAddict Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
The "Official" Aftermarket Brake Thread

I figured we have an "official suspension" and "official tire/wheel/winter tire" thread, so why not start an official aftermarket brake thread?

Brakes: What brakes are you using?
Website: Where did you get them/where can you get information about them?
Type of system Are they a complete replacement (replaces stock calipers and rotors) or just replacement aftermarket hardware (like rotors and pads)?
Cost: How much did you pay?
Pads/shoes and rotors/drums used: Brand and type of pads, shoes, rotors and drums
Brake lines: Are you using the stock rubber or SS braid lines?
Difficulty of install: On a scale of 1-10
Comments: Opinions/thoughts on the system, how the install went or any other information that may be useful
Pictures: Pictures of the brakes installed on your car.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2007, 06:18 AM   #2
SkaAddict
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1690
FF Reputation: 69 SkaAddict Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
I'll go first:

Brakes: BAT Inc. front kit/SVT rear disc
Website: http://www.batinc.net/focus.htm/http://www.fordracing.com (obtained from www.focussalvage.com)
Type of system: complete replacement
Cost: $600 for fronts, $400 for rear
Pads/shoes and rotors/drums used: Centric blank rotors and Hawk HPS on all four corners
Brake lines: SS braid on all four corners
Difficulty of install: 6 for front, 4 for rear
Comments: The fronts use 300mm rotors (same as SVT) with PBR dual-piston calipers (can be found on '99-current Mustang GT.) I installed them almost two years ago to the day, they made a BIG improvement over stock even while retaining the rear drums. Fitment was not perfect...the pads have a small ~1/8" patch where the pad does not contact the disc, but this does not seem to effect braking whatsoever, and makes removing the calipers/pads a breeze. The install was relatively easy but requires modification to the stock spindles; minor cutting/grinding/drilling is necessary to fit the custom caliper brackets to the modified stock spindle. They came with Mintex A/F pads and EBC blank rotors...the combination worked well, however the pads generated almost as much dust as the stock pads and the rotors rusted heavily on unswept surfaces and lasted ~20,000 miles before I felt they needed to be replaced. The configuration I'm using now (Centric blanks with Hawk HPS) is much better IMO.

The rears just went on in May, and also made a significant difference. The car makes a more controlled stop vs. when equipped with drums, and definitely slows down a bit faster. It also improved appearance and will make replacing the wear items much easier. I got them salvaged so I spent a few hours a week for about a month cleaning them up and painting them...they're physically in good shape, they just needed all the dirt, rust and grime removed. I could have used the stock pads/rotors they came with but chose to get new ones instead to match my front configuration. The install was fairly straightforward, the hardest part being getting the e-brake cables attached. I had access to a shop with a lift and all the tools you could possibly need when I did it and it took me ~4 hours from start to finish.

While I haven't had a chance to take the car out on an actual track with the rears installed, I have autocrossed it with the current configuration and it definitely helps, but with the front brakes I'm forced to run in SM. I had the car on a road course last November with just the fronts installed and I never experienced fading or loss of performance. I don't think you could get a better system for the front for under $1000 or going with a custom setup using calipers with pistons on both sides of the rotor.

Pictures:

Fronts immediately following install

Behind the wheel

And before anyone says "lower it," the car was just jacked up while I was cleaning and waxing my wheels, so its higher than usual...and I have a set of KW lowering springs waiting to go on.

Last edited by SkaAddict; 07-13-2007 at 08:25 PM.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:35 PM   #3
JohnMichael
Michael J. Caboose

Fan#: 21469
What I Drive: Black Hemi Ram & Honda Shadow VT600

FF Reputation: 7 JohnMichael Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Cool...

Brakes- BAT Inc. EBC Rotors and Mintex Pads

Website- http://www.batinc.net/focus.htm

Type of System- Aftermarket Hardware

Cost- $280 plus Shipping

Pads/shoes and rotors/drums used- Standard Vented EBC Rotors and Mintex Pads

Brake lines- Standard SVT Rubber Lines

Difficulty of install- I normally do all my own labor, but I was nervous about messing with the install, so I had my 'guy' install them for about $100.

Comments- They felt a bit better than the stock SVT rotor/pad combo, but that was probably because the original pads were worn down to the nubs... The brakes have held up wonderfully over the past 2 years, but for the past year, they have taken to howling like banshee's.

Pictures- I don't have a direct shot of the replacement, but I've got some of me cleaning rust off the new rotors and a pic of them still in the packages.

O'er Pirates from the Black of Pitch

Last edited by JohnMichael; 07-11-2007 at 05:47 PM.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:50 PM   #4
killer ZETEC
GL1TCH

Fan#: 44757
What I Drive: advance trac french blue 03 zx3

FF Reputation: 42 killer ZETEC Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
brakes: powerstop rotors and pads (ceramic)

system type: aftermarket hardware

cost: around 350 to 400

pads/rotor/drums used: powerstop cross drilled zinc coated rotors and ceramic pads( advance trac system with 4 wheel discs)

brake lines: normal rubber (gettind stainless lines soon)

difficult of install: the parts fit perfectly. but since it was mt first time doing brakes it kinda fought me. none the less i say about an afternoon sworth of work if you know what your doing.

comments: these things rock! im re installing the tcs system soon but the braking power is there and the ceramic pads reall stand up th track abuse. i suggest braided lines though. just to improve pedal feel since after the event the were a little mushy (expanded rubber and heat in the system)

bad picture
will it run soon?? who knows.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:38 PM   #5
WD40
The Librarian

Fan#: 5157
What I Drive: '04 Sonic Blue - SVT 3Door

FF Reputation: 138 WD40 Excellent Standing Member WD40 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Sticky!!
Please keep follow on posts to the subject matter at hand only.
Discussions/questions are best asked in a separate thread.
Thanks!
Old 08-20-2007, 12:58 PM   #6
mach1man
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 49513
What I Drive: 2003 Black ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 mach1man Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I have power slot rotors and hawk pads up front. In the rear it's stock drums and pads but I have a set of "top of the line" Raybestos sport pads to go in. The fronts made a big differance, we'll see what happens when I put the rears in.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:26 PM   #7
viney266
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 93
What I Drive: focus ztw ,zx3,mustang, motorcycles

Points 235,208, Level 100
Points: 235,208, Level: 100 Points: 235,208, Level: 100 Points: 235,208, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 112 viney266 Excellent Standing Member viney266 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Here is mine: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...threadid=52483

Brakes: Stock svt swap with Hawk pads
Website: I bought mine from Focussalvage. It was the first set he had sold.

Brake lines: Stainless lines ( always)
Difficulty of install: About a 5, not difficult, just time consuming.

Pictures: See link
Old 10-02-2007, 04:57 PM   #8
cconley
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 40920
What I Drive: 2004 Sonic Blue Focus SVT w/EAP

FF Reputation: 1 cconley Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
EBC Rotors and "Redstuff" Pads

I bought the EBC Rotors for my SVT and so far I have been happy with them. They were quite expensive though at around $600 for the whole setup. I matched the Redstuff ceramic pads with the rotors and I get great intial braking even if the brakes haven't warmed up yet. Once they are warm, watch out or your steering wheel will have a new set of teeth (or just wear your seatbelt). The install was a 5 out of 10 on the difficulty only because the old rotors didn't want to leave. And it took all day because I painted the calipers also. Enjoy the pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front SVT rotor.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	13087  

Name:	Front SVT wheel.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	13088  

Name:	Rear SVT rotors.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	13089  

Old 06-02-2008, 04:26 AM   #9
CopperMach
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 42945
What I Drive: 2002 Copper Mach Audio Focus ZTS

Points 498, Level 9
Points: 498, Level: 9 Points: 498, Level: 9 Points: 498, Level: 9
Level Up 96% Completed
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 10 CopperMach Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Brakes: FOCUS COMPETITION RALLY BRAKE KIT
Website: Available from www.fordracingparts.com, I ordered mine through my dealership.
Type of system: Replacy the front knuckles with svt knuckles and hubs, slightly smaller than svt rotors and calipers (280mm rotors vs the 300mm on the svt. Replaced my rear drums with 280mm rear rotors. All components are factory Ford parts.
Cost: List price is $999, but I get a discount of ford parts so i paid less.
Pads/shoes and rotors/drums used: Ford pads and rotor (OEM pads not motorcraft replacement pads)
Brake lines: Using stock rubber lines for now but plan on changing to ss soon.
Difficulty of install: 3 if you are familar with brakes and steering/suspension parts on the focus, if unfamilar and if no access to a lift i would raise it to a 7.
Comments: It is a complete set up that works very well. I wanted to install the complete svt system, however i was impatient and decided to do the conversion at the same time that they stopped making the complete ford svt set-up and right before they came out with the seperate front/rear kits. This kit has the same rear brake set up as the svt kit, and to convert later on down the road all I will need is svt front rotors, calipers and pads and then it will be the complete svt brake setup. I am very pleased with the quality and the improvement that the conversion made.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:33 PM   #10
cdnfocus

Fan#:
I run ATE Premium One's w/eliptical grooves and EBC Green Stuff pads. Noisy but well worth the extra braking from this setup. I can live with the wierd sound when applied hard.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.