Auto-X with an ATX?? - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Autocross Racing

Autocross Racing The place to discuss information about autocross stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-08-2007, 12:00 PM   #1
phord_phocus86
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 33505
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3 Base

FF Reputation: 3 phord_phocus86 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Auto-X with an ATX??

I have been wanting to try this for a wile now, and I know my car is nothing special, I just want to try it out.

If I sign up for one will I just get shunned for having an ATX?

I've read various websites and it seems like the crowd is very open and welcoming to new guys, but what about new guys with a slow automatic car?

Old 06-08-2007, 12:06 PM   #2
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

Fan#: 42718
What I Drive: 2002 RED SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 175 WeeAsp Excellent Standing MemberWeeAsp Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
HAVE AT !!!!

No such thing as a slow car. The cars are classes accordingly. I believe you would be in H Stock.

That said, a couple of tips for you.

On your start, downshift into the lowest gear on the shift indicator. Press your foot on the brake and take the engine revs right up to where it feels like the wheels are going to break loose. You may hear some creaking at that point.

When you are waved to start, foot off the brake and hammer the gas. Up-shift into 2nd gear just before the redline and LEAVE IT IN SECOND GEAR FOR THE REMAINDER OF YOUR RUN.

You will find that you are more competitive than you realize because you are not as busy in the car with shifting. No clutch work, both hands on the wheel at all times. You have more time to concentrate on the course.

I campaigned a 96 Formula Firebird (granted, lots more power), and was very successful in F Stock. So, go for it!

You will find that people will not razz you for having an ATX. They will be more helpful to you as a novice than you could ever imagine.

I think it will be a very positive experience for you.

"I live with fear every day and sometimes, she lets me race."

2002 SVT Focus... Stock
Old 06-08-2007, 12:23 PM   #3
Impaled
Raise the stakes

Fan#: 46117
What I Drive: 2001 ZX3, 1998 ZX2

FF Reputation: 4 Impaled Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I agree with all of what ^^ said but would like to add, put it in neutral and you'll be able to get even more hold on the brakes. then do as he said and put it into gear, Although i don't think you need to shift from 1 to 2 you can just keep it in '2' and that'll limit you to 1st and 2nd gear the ATX revs high enough before it shifts so don't worry about going 1 - 2 manually.

you'll be able to rev to around 3k-3.5k before the wheels actually move, you'll feel the car lurching and you'll be thinking "wow that doesn't seem like it's good" lol.

I would practice a few launches this way before trying at the auto-x.

Also i don't know what others will think of this, but when i drive i i'll always keep atleast 15ish% throttle even when i'm in a turn or braking (less when braking but i do left foot brake) It helps with the sluggishness when going WOT imo.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:54 PM   #4
torradan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 25031
What I Drive: 2005 ZX4

FF Reputation: 7 torradan Good Standing Member
I race with my ATX all the time. No one gives me any grief. Just some good-natured razzing from people on FF. :P

There is one girl who drives an automatic beetle who is VERY good, and finishes near the top of H-Stock consistently.

But go out, ask questions, have fun, and kill some cones!

Everyone is out there for one thing: to have FUN.
Western New York SCCA - Cone Killer #440
Old 06-08-2007, 12:57 PM   #5
plumcrazy
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 46433
What I Drive: 2007 Black ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 plumcrazy Good Standing Member
Thumbs up atx

Go for it. There are a lot more people racing with automatic transmissions than you think.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:03 PM   #6
Dcl2049
MyCarBreaksAlot

Fan#: 18957
What I Drive: 2002 Malibu Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 69 Dcl2049 Excellent Standing Member
Yeah, I'm an atx auto-xer and do alright for my region. I'm down a little low but everyone else races freaking fast cars on r comps, so yeah. Just have fun, us racers are very nice toward one another and you'll get a bunch of tips while you're there. We were all newbies at one point in time and the vets understand exactly what's going through your mind, they are a good resource so use them, they will be happy to help.

To clarify on what Impaled was saying up there (I really hope this is what you meant) put the car in N and push the brakes down all the way and they will go in further, then put it in gear and rev for the launch. I wouldn't play around shifting too much, especially not shifting out of N into gear. Your transmission would be angry at you if you did that. I haven't tried racing in 2nd only, my car is a little slow off low revs lately, but usually I just race with O/D off in D.

(I'm finally racing on Sunday, yesss!)
Dan - gumpcrew #4
[BBS][Borla][Focus Central][Hella][K&N][Koni][Lentech][Wings West]
#23 STS Wiregrass Region SCCA
Old 06-08-2007, 01:40 PM   #7
Impaled
Raise the stakes

Yes be in neutral when you depress the brakes, lol please don't ever rev in N and shift into gear, not only is it dumb and horrible for the tranny but it you'd be faster just jamming the gas on green while in gear.

I'd still recommend staying in '2' there's no need for 3rd gear, our 2nd gear will go up to around 80-90 before shifting to 3rd
Old 06-08-2007, 02:18 PM   #8
Focusnewb
Focus Addict

Fan#: 27975
What I Drive: 2001 Sangria Red 4dr SE

FF Reputation: 11 Focusnewb Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Our ATX is pretty weak, if it's your daily driver, just hit the gas at the start....I don't want to see an "I broke my tranny" thread

That said, I want to do Auto-X with my ATX too....not sure I would be competitive but I would go for fun.

I would rather drive the slow car Rusty built than the slow car I built.

Do your own repairs, it's not rocket surgery !!
Old 06-08-2007, 02:30 PM   #9
Carrera26
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12237
What I Drive: 2005 Mazda3 2.3/2003 VW Passat GLX

FF Reputation: 2 Carrera26 Good Standing Member
just read the signature, and good luck!
Don't waste another minute waiting on parts, or anything else. Just get out there and start racing! You will suck at first, and you will be slower than many other cars, but the only thing you will regret is not starting earlier...
Old 06-08-2007, 03:05 PM   #10
Impaled
Raise the stakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusnewb View Post
Our ATX is pretty weak, if it's your daily driver, just hit the gas at the start....I don't want to see an "I broke my tranny" thread

That said, I want to do Auto-X with my ATX too....not sure I would be competitive but I would go for fun.
I'm pretty sure holding the brakes will put all the stress on the brakes/axle

Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Bookmarks & Social Networks