New AutoX'er who would like some advice - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Autocross Racing

Autocross Racing The place to discuss information about autocross stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-02-2007, 08:50 AM   #11
Carrera26
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12237
What I Drive: 2005 Mazda3 2.3/2003 VW Passat GLX

FF Reputation: 2 Carrera26 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Everyone has made the point so succintly, there's pretty much nothing else!
Don't chase speed with cash, at least not until you've been doing it a couple years. Even after a couple years, you'll still only be getting about 90% of the cars speed in stock form, IF you are very very good. Just good rubber, an alignment, and experience is all it takes to lay the smack down at a local event.

It's hard to come to terms with, but what is holding you back more than anything is that loose nut behind the wheel! Tighten that down and you wouldn't believe what happens.
Don't waste another minute waiting on parts, or anything else. Just get out there and start racing! You will suck at first, and you will be slower than many other cars, but the only thing you will regret is not starting earlier...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2007, 05:30 PM   #12
BlazingCopper_ZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 23208
What I Drive: 2005 Blazing Copper ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 BlazingCopper_ZX3 Good Standing Member
I might agree with Carrera26 on the point of getting an aligment. Ask you local Ford dealer to have the SVT tech do an 4 wheel aligment, set the camber and caster back to factory spec. since you have different wheels and tires. The previous owner may not have known the importance of a good 4 wheel alignment.
A rear sway bar might be a good choice if yours didn't come with one and the body roll bothers you. But their is nothing like seat time.

Color Matched Grill, Mid-Wing Spoiler, Clear Side Lights, Audiophile Sound System, Stealth CAI, SVT Suspension and EAP wheels, FRPP Strut Tower Brace and STS.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:11 PM   #13
killer ZETEC
GL1TCH

Fan#: 44757
What I Drive: advance trac french blue 03 zx3

FF Reputation: 42 killer ZETEC Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
lol at my last event the loose nut fell off (ff drift??) this sunday i'll try to run a littl more consistently. but basically i can say this

second gear is where you will live.
sub boxes that are mounted will still break.
pump up your ties to the highest rating on the sidewall, this will even give your street tires decent grip
left foot braking is fun and you should try it

i am also in the sts class. you should find out what the limits are for the class you want to run. that way you dont accidentally get bumped into a higher class because of a suspension mod that you dont have the power to play in

one last word.: competeing and have fun, if you win more power to ya!
will it run soon?? who knows.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:12 PM   #14
NJMusicJunkie
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 45705
What I Drive: 2006 Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 NJMusicJunkie Good Standing Member
No, I agree. I've got another event in Baton Rouge on the 21st and I'll probably be doing an alignment that week. Ended up when I replaced my rim, there was a bent tie rod (which took forever to effin wrench off, but hey, its ok. Just Ford and their silly ways of not having a slot for a wrench to get a grip on the bearing end).
I've been browsing on FocusSport.com for some stuff and they do have a rear sway bar that goes in the trunk to help the body roll. But, yeah, I definately want more seat time. I wish my schedule would allow it.
"Women are a lot like cars... beautiful and sleek on the outside and run perfectly well when finely tuned. But crash them or don't take care of them and you'll be left standing in the dust with no cash in your pockets"
Old 07-09-2007, 02:08 PM   #15
DirtyDeeds
Focus Addict

Fan#: 23692
What I Drive: 2003 SVTF, 2003 G35, 2001 Audi S4

FF Reputation: 5 DirtyDeeds Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I think we all agree that seat time is the best thing you can do to improve your times. However, if I were going to spend a few dollars on the car, I think the best bang for buck autocross (STS) mods would be...
SVT Suspension - $295 (Sell the rear sway bar that comes with the kit)
Progress rear sway bar - $137

When its time to replace your tires, take a look at a set of Falken Azenis Rt615's or Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R's. These are the two hot tires in STS these days.

Bookmarks & Social Networks