Irregular Surging and Falling Rough Idle that worsened. - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-30-2007, 02:02 AM   #1
focusowner2001
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 48391
What I Drive: 2001 Rainforest Green Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 focusowner2001 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Exclamation Irregular Surging and Falling Rough Idle that worsened.

I apologize if this issue has been addressed already somewhere in the forums. I have browsed as much time as I have to spare to find answers and I dont see any specific to this issue. This is my only form of transportation and I need info ASAP to get back on the road.

I noticed an irregular idle developing in my 2001 Focus ZX3 about three days ago. It rises and falls and almost stalls out at the bottom of the sequence. It is very rough when it idles down at its lowest point. It has worsened over the past couple days to almost jumping while sitting at a red light etc etc. Sounds like it is struggling to run when it idles down. Idles up and down (shakes and flutters when down) over and over. I assumed spark plugs might be the problem. Replaced them earlier this evening and started it up and it ran for approximately one minute then died. Wouldn't start back. I hear the fuel pump (trying to) work as I turn the key before turning it over. Sounds like it turns and isnt getting gas. Checked the spark and it has a good spark. Put old plugs back in it and still won't start. This Focus is factory stock. No upgrades or mods. I never got any info on the recall for the fuelpump from Ford. I bought it new. I thought I had got bad gas so I ran it quite low before refueling. Not EXTREMELY low but yeah 1/8th of a tank or a little less. I was able to turn on the AC and I suppose the car compensates internally for the extra load and allows the engine to climb a bit in RPM and when I did that it smoothed out. I could tap the gas pedal and it would smooth out. But as it idled, it would go up and down and get very rough (always was a bit rough but this is ALOT worse and is a real problem) when when it idled down in that pattern. I have tried to be as descriptive as possible in what its doing because I really could use some educated troubleshooting advice here. I need my car. BAD. I'll check this in the morning and TY in advance to anyone who can help me out.

Oh and it has 120k miles. Other than this, hardly nothing but the Thermostat housing has ever had to be repaired on it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2007, 07:34 AM   #2
cronus1987
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 47599
What I Drive: 2004 Focus SVT InfraRed

FF Reputation: 5 cronus1987 Good Standing Member
well, i don't think i'm in any way qualified enough to answer this question with much accuracy, but i'll give it a shot anyway just in case no one else replies quickly (since you said you need it urgently). Try replacing the fuel filter. If it's never been done then god knows it needs it. They aren't expensive and even if it doesn't fix the problem, it might help enough for you to at least be able to drive it normally.

...Sorry i couldn't be more help, but that's all i know to tell you.

Official Mayo Hater #3
Old 06-30-2007, 08:45 AM   #3
drjkel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 34025
What I Drive: 2001 Amazon Green ZTS, 2012 SE Seda

FF Reputation: 9 drjkel Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
On an '01 Zetec in Tennessee, be sure to check the condition of the PCV hose. See:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...light=PCV+hose

Hot weather exacerbates this problem - softens the hose and accelerates its deterioration. I have just replaced mine.

I wish I was in the Tennessee Valley. WNY winters are brutal.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:43 AM   #4
ChaosWarlord26
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 48372
What I Drive: 2006 Dodge Ram 1500

FF Reputation: 3 ChaosWarlord26 Good Standing Member
Hey mine is doing the exact same thing. Take a look at my thread to see what I have to to try to fix it and what I am going to continue to to do to fix it.

http://http://www.focusfanatics.com/...d.php?t=126517

Mine still is not fixed, but the solution to this rough idle problem can be caused by many different things. Is your CEL (Check Engine Light) on. If so take it your local autozone or somthing like that and see if they will check it for you. Let us know what code it is. There are many people in here that really know what they are doing. Just keep checking back and see what they say. Please let know if yours get fixed what the problem was. Good Luck
Old 06-30-2007, 11:55 AM   #5
focusowner2001
Focus Rookie

Narrowing this issue down....

Ok, I have bought a new fuel filter and will have it installed very soon. I also checked the hose(s) and it/they appear fine. We ran a fuel pump pressure test with a gauge and it jumped up to approximately 60 pounds when we turned the key on to initiate a prime (right out of the line from the pump to the filter) so surely it's fine. We are going to continue to trace the line all the way to the injector bar. So far it seems clear as a bell. We shot air through the line from the rear of the car and the air travelled through without any hesitation or obstruction at all it seemed. My concern is that maybe it was the fuel filter (for the starting issue) but it may not remedy the erratic idle issue. Time will tell when we get it back together and what ever results we find, will be posted here in detail for future reference. Strange situation indeed. Will be interesting to finally pinpoint the issue.

Another couple questions....The silver circular module in-line right before the injector bar, is this the fuel pressure regulator? Also, could it possibly be the culprit for an "overly" erratic idle?

Answer to question above, no it's not displaying any check engine light or anything. I wish it was!
Old 06-30-2007, 08:27 PM   #6
FordZX32000
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 33469
What I Drive: 2000 black ZX3

Points 982, Level 16
Points: 982, Level: 16 Points: 982, Level: 16 Points: 982, Level: 16
Level Up 82% Completed
Level up: 82% Level up: 82% Level up: 82%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 FordZX32000 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by focusowner2001 View Post
Ok, I have bought a new fuel filter and will have it installed very soon. I also checked the hose(s) and it/they appear fine. We ran a fuel pump pressure test with a gauge and it jumped up to approximately 60 pounds when we turned the key on to initiate a prime (right out of the line from the pump to the filter) so surely it's fine. We are going to continue to trace the line all the way to the injector bar. So far it seems clear as a bell. We shot air through the line from the rear of the car and the air travelled through without any hesitation or obstruction at all it seemed. My concern is that maybe it was the fuel filter (for the starting issue) but it may not remedy the erratic idle issue. Time will tell when we get it back together and what ever results we find, will be posted here in detail for future reference. Strange situation indeed. Will be interesting to finally pinpoint the issue.

Another couple questions....The silver circular module in-line right before the injector bar, is this the fuel pressure regulator? Also, could it possibly be the culprit for an "overly" erratic idle?

Answer to question above, no it's not displaying any check engine light or anything. I wish it was!
Yep the silver circular module that you see is the regulator. I don't think that's your issue.
Have you cleaned your throttle body ? Have you pulled and cleaned the Idle Air Control Valve ?
If no I'd start with those two first.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:50 PM   #7
old_but_still_going
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 48414
What I Drive: 1998 Green Zetec 1.4i

FF Reputation: 1 old_but_still_going Good Standing Member
Quote:
....The silver circular module in-line right before the injector bar, is this the fuel pressure regulator?
If you're talking about circular like a hat with a dent in the top then this sounds like the fuel pressure damper. Minimises pressure spikes. If you're talking about a cylinder shaped silver item then as FordZX32000 says, that would be the fuel pressure regulator. Either way, neither would rank high on the probable causes of a rough idle in a Focus.

If you clean the Throttle body and Idle Air control valve and still get no result then clean the MAF. See the 'How to' guides at the top of the forum.

Also very high on your list should be checking for collapsed or damaged hoses while the engine is running. If you do find that the PCV hose needs to be replaced then you might as well check out the PCV valve as you're in there. It'll be difficult to get out on an older car like yours (my engine had over 127,000 miles when i did it) but keep rocking it back and forth and the rubber grommet holding it will eventually let it go. Should sound like an aerosol paint can when shaken. Can be cleaned with any degreaser or replaced cheaply if not a simple fouling issue.

There's a lot of info in the forum relating to rough idling but it could be hidden in threads using the word stumble, stall or PCV. They'll give you other things to look at if the above don't work, such as air filter, vacuum leaks and fuel filter.

/old
Old 07-02-2007, 12:42 PM   #8
focusowner2001
Focus Rookie

Problem Solved...

I would like to update the thread now to describe what we found to repair the problem. As I mentioned in the initial post, my Focus started to idle VERY rough when at a standstill. We did a diagnostic test and it stated a PO171 which is a Bank 1 Lean Code. All sensors were checked, MAF was cleaned, everything we could think of was covered. Our next task was to check every single (vaccum/intake) hose very thoroughly. We found a hose coming off the intake (Part # X54G-6N664-AA372GA) had a split in it at a 90 degree elbow of the hose. This is a part that can only be purchased from the dealer. It run me about 17 dollars which was very relieving. In closing, I would like to thank everyone for their time in assisting with their knowledge and advice as it was very helpful and enlightening. I hope this information will help others if they have the same/similar problem. Although alot of us fuss over sensors, mine seemed to be doing their job perfectly in this matter.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:03 PM   #9
drjkel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 34025
What I Drive: 2001 Amazon Green ZTS, 2012 SE Seda

FF Reputation: 9 drjkel Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Smile

P/N 6N664 would be the PCV hose. I am delighted that you found the problem. Enjoy your '01 and Tennessee!
Old 07-02-2007, 07:29 PM   #10
FordZX32000
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 33469
What I Drive: 2000 black ZX3

Points 982, Level 16
Points: 982, Level: 16 Points: 982, Level: 16 Points: 982, Level: 16
Level Up 82% Completed
Level up: 82% Level up: 82% Level up: 82%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 FordZX32000 Good Standing Member
focusowner2001
Awesome Man!!! I know it feels good to get that issue taken care of and drive the car like normal again.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.