Cabin air filter install yes/no? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-07-2006, 09:29 AM   #1
snarl of disgust
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 40867
What I Drive: 05, black 2dr hatch zx3

FF Reputation: 1 snarl of disgust Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Cabin air filter install yes/no?

Does the focus have a cabin air filter? I haven't had a chance to dig into this car yet but if it doesn't have one has anyone installed one trying to improve air quality/smell with a hepa or other high quality coal filter?

Where are the intake vents for the focus anyway?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2006, 09:42 AM   #2
b16sir1991
Focused Focus

Fan#: 16612
What I Drive: 2004 SVT Focus, Sonic Blue

FF Reputation: 175 b16sir1991 Excellent Standing Member b16sir1991 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (116)
If it doesnt, you can easily install it yourself. It just takes the place of the fresh air inlet grate under the passenger side cowling. I did it just because those filters do a very good job filtering the outside air. Its a Motorcraft FP-41

Oct 2005 Ride of the month.
SVT Squad #25
Call me Mike......

Give rep points and feedback when you appreciate someone on here!

Last edited by b16sir1991; 11-07-2006 at 09:54 AM.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:46 AM   #3
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,066, Level 97
Points: 27,066, Level: 97 Points: 27,066, Level: 97 Points: 27,066, Level: 97
Level Up 72% Completed
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
In 05 Ford decided that Focus owners should have to deal with dust and pollen from the vent and replaced the cabin air filter holder with a simple wire mesh that's spaced so that mosquitos can easily fit through it. It's also installed with a foam glue similar to Great Stuff window and door sealer that is VERY difficult to remove. The filter, if you can call it that, is located under the passenger cowl cover.

You will need to locate an earlier model Foci in a junkyard that will allow you to pull your own parts. Take a chisel, hammer, both screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers or 10mm deep well. Remove the old cabin air filter assembly. Throw away filter which is probably moldy and smells like the rags under the kitchen sink. I suggest cleaning the assembly with bleach and water to kill any mold. Removing the screen on your car will be more difficult, but you should have learned how to remove the cowl cover, and I would also practice removing the firewall plastic on the junkyard car also because you will need to remove it on your car so that you can chisel away the foam glue.

Keep "Quality is Job 1" in the back of your head when you're looking at the hole that Ford cut in the cowl to allow air into the cabin.

Home Depot or Lowes sell foam rubber insulation with adhesive backing in the door section which is what I'd suggest to replace the foam glue. This will make it easier to remove the assembly later if you need to clean mold off it. I'd try to keep the insulation in one piece so that you only have one gap to bother with after the install. I'd also use a silicon caulk around the outside of the installed insulation for added protection. I would not caulk the assembly so that it couldn't be removed. From what I've read from other FF's, the cabin air filter assembly installs in the same location with the same hardware as the 05+ chicken wire screen.

Some FF's with filters have reported mold grows on the filter, so check your filter periodically.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:55 AM   #4
b16sir1991
Focused Focus

FF Reputation: 175 b16sir1991 Excellent Standing Member b16sir1991 Excellent Standing Member
This is interesting, i didnt know that^^^^

SVT Squad #25
Call me Mike......

Old 11-07-2006, 10:00 AM   #5
b16sir1991
Focused Focus

My bad, i just did a little research, it says in my Ford computer that vehicles built after 3/3/04 cannot be fitted with the cabin filter. Like he said^^^ you will need to get the old setup off of a salvaged car. Or get the pieces new.

SVT Squad #25
Call me Mike......

Old 11-07-2006, 10:01 AM   #6
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,066, Level 97
Points: 27,066, Level: 97 Points: 27,066, Level: 97 Points: 27,066, Level: 97
Level Up 72% Completed
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
That's one thing they should really change with the remodel. I think it's also a good suspect for why I seem to hear more air in the 05 than I did in the 03 I drove around for 3 months (rental) which was more quiet than the high priced weak ass gas guzzling Trailblazer the company put me in for a couple of weeks. The other guys on my team thought I was weird for wanting to take the stupid SUV back for my Focus sedan. I just couldn't fit electrical material in the Focus.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:57 PM   #7
RodRodG
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 86568
What I Drive: 2004 Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 RodRodG Good Standing Member
So this may sound like a dumb question... BUT, what if you just put the paper filter on top of the chicken wire +05 filter?
Old 06-07-2011, 10:45 PM   #8
Vexorg
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85499
What I Drive: 2001 Zx3 ChromeGold

FF Reputation: 3 Vexorg Good Standing Member
In the older ones, there's a plastic snap-in screen where the filter would go, you just snap it out. On the newer ones, it will be a major effort to remove it.

There's not much clearance to get at the filter... it needs changed MORE often than the engine's air filter... it gets REALLY dirty.

My fav is the Hastings.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:35 AM   #9
frednumber15
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83585
What I Drive: 2003 2dr ZX3

FF Reputation: 5 frednumber15 Good Standing Member
Just put a filter in my 03...had none as I found out. Remove the plastic screen...push in the pleated paper/charcoal filter....not a lot of room.

Next time I will just glue some Honeywell pre-filter material on top of the plastic screen and just vacuum it or wash it and use it again.

...and I am unanimous in that position.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:54 PM   #10
Shute47
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 154218
What I Drive: 2004 CD Silver SVT

Points 190, Level 3
Points: 190, Level: 3 Points: 190, Level: 3 Points: 190, Level: 3
Level Up 80% Completed
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 Shute47 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by frednumber15 View Post
Just put a filter in my 03...had none as I found out. Remove the plastic screen...push in the pleated paper/charcoal filter....not a lot of room.

Next time I will just glue some Honeywell pre-filter material on top of the plastic screen and just vacuum it or wash it and use it again.

How did that work out for you? I just bought the air filter and realized my air filter cover is glued down as well. Trying to.figure out if it's worth it or not

Bookmarks & Social Networks