Rough Idle - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-28-2007, 08:19 PM   #1
ChaosWarlord26
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 48372
What I Drive: 2006 Dodge Ram 1500

FF Reputation: 3 ChaosWarlord26 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Rough Idle

Ok I know the title says it all...oh know not another one of these. I am a new member to the forum but I have been search everyone's post for about 3 weeks now trying to figure out my problem. With no luck thus far here goes the thread.

The actual symptoms are that at idle is idling really rough almost like loping. It tries to die then comes back. It will do this in Park, Reverse, nuetral, or Drive only at stop. When driving the car runs great. good acceleration. But when I come to a stop light and just let it idle it messes up. I have noticed though that when it is idling rough if I turn on the AC the rpm's change and it quits temporarily.

Ok so I am driving a 2001 Focus Se. 2.0 SOHC. I have installed a Cold Air Intake (Short Ram) on it. I have taken it apart multiple time and made sure the was no leaks. I keep getting this code from the CEL with an OBD-II reader. (PO171) I know, System Fuel to Lean Bank 1. I have had the intake on it for more than 3 months prior to it acting this way.

What I have done so far is change the fuel filter, changed the Spark Plugs, Changed the O2 Sensor before the Cat. Tried different grades of fuel and fuel treatments. I have cleaned the MAF 3 times in the last week with CRC MAF cleaner.

My next steps are checking the fuel pressure at Idle. Does anyone know what the pressure is supposed to be at idle? Also does anyone else have any thoughts of what it could be? I am thinking that it could be a bad MAF, EGR Valve, IACV, or bad fuel Pump. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2007, 08:56 PM   #2
maggot515
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 40886
What I Drive: 2003 pitch black zx3

FF Reputation: 1 maggot515 Good Standing Member
well all focuses have a kind of lopey idle theres nothing you can do about it
Old 06-29-2007, 08:10 AM   #3
ChaosWarlord26
Focus Enthusiast

Anyone else have any clues?
Old 06-29-2007, 08:55 AM   #4
HyBalz
Focus Addict

Fan#: 18573
What I Drive: 2000 Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 49 HyBalz Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Have you tried disconnecting the battery to reset the computer? BTW,Welcome to FF!
Old 06-29-2007, 09:45 AM   #5
mighty_mouse
Focus Addict

Fan#: 28775
What I Drive: 2005, White, ZX3

FF Reputation: 17 mighty_mouse Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Welcome to FF.com. I have noticed the same symptom in my car, but also in many of foci that I have ridden in. So I would believe the rough idle to be normal.

Mouse
[Team Duratec #86] [L.O.T.H #7]
Like MAC products for your Mustang or Focus? Come talk to me, I'll help you out
Old 06-29-2007, 09:58 AM   #6
viney266
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 93
What I Drive: focus ztw ,zx3,mustang, motorcycles

FF Reputation: 112 viney266 Excellent Standing Member viney266 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Welcome to FF.

You have done well, and checked or fixxed most of what I would say to look at. I would say to check the plug wires and make sure they are tight to the plugs and the coil. You can also pop the hood at night, use a spray mister and mist under the hood around all the electrical wires and plugs IN THE DARK. Watch for arcing of any kind and listen for a miss.
Also, pull the plug on the cylinder the code is for. Does it look any different than the other plugs? Let us know.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:43 AM   #7
rebelyouth
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 37477
What I Drive: 01 ghia zetec se sadan

FF Reputation: 1 rebelyouth Good Standing Member
Son i have been trying to smooth out my idle for long time now, i am thinking that just a feature of the focus zetec, i own the same year as u do also, with K&N sri.

Sadan Revolution #28
Old 06-29-2007, 12:51 PM   #8
ChaosWarlord26
Focus Enthusiast

Thanks for all the welcomes, Like I said I have been here for a while now just didn't become a member until yesterday. I find it easier and more respectful to search and dig for the solution first before posting a thread that so many people have already posted....

I have disconnected the batterymultiple time to reset it, and I have also reset the CEl by usin the OBD-II reader.

I have checked all the plug wires when I replace the plugs. As for wich cylinder the code is for I have no clue, because the OBD-II does not tell me that much detail. But thanks.

I guess my next steps are to check and clean the EGR valve and lines. Then check and clean the throttle body, and the IACV at the same time.

Now it is becoming a matter of money since all the rest of the parts that are next in line are starting to get pricey.....

Does anyone know what the fuel pressure should be at Idle? That is the next thing I am going to check.

Last edited by ChaosWarlord26; 06-29-2007 at 03:08 PM.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:44 AM   #9
ChaosWarlord26
Focus Enthusiast

to the top
Old 07-13-2007, 11:55 AM   #10
ChaosWarlord26
Focus Enthusiast

Not trying to bring back a dead thread but I have found the problem. After many hours of pulling off pieces, EGR, IACV, Throttle Body, etc. I got it all back together and at the end when I was getting ready to give up I heard a louder hissing noise that wasn't there before. Come to find out it was a vaccuum line. This one was made of a hard plastic in a Z-shape. It was located on the back of the intake manifold and it was the center of the 3 that connected to it. I goes from the intake mani. to the (I believe) Evap for gas fumes to return. Or something like that. I took the hose to ford and it was about 40 bucks for s new one. Just wanted to let everyone know and thanks for all the help.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->