August 25 - Charity Event for Wounded Soldiers - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Regional Forums > Mid Atlantic Fanatics

Mid Atlantic Fanatics Serving the Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Virginia, and Washington DC regions.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-25-2007, 02:42 PM   #1
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

Fan#: 42718
What I Drive: 2002 RED SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 175 WeeAsp Excellent Standing Member WeeAsp Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
August 25 - Charity Event for Wounded Soldiers

All -

This past weekend, I was approached to see if I would be interested in supporting a charity event for the troops at the Malone House.

The Malone House is part of the Walter Reed Army Medical Center and houses about 150 troops that are undergoing rehabiitation from wounds received in combat.

There is a picnic/BBQ for them on August 25 that will feature food, entertainment and a small informal, but personal, car show.

I was asked to reach out to this community and see if there would be anyone interested in bringing their car to put on display. This show is not like others where people walk by and just look. The soldiers are encouraged to get in and out of the cars and see what fits and what doesn't as many have prosthetics. So, if you don't want your trailer or garage queen to be touched, this is not the event for you.

There will also be race cars from many different series on display for them as well.

There is no charge to participate. The only donation asked for is your time and gas to get to and from the event.

If you are interested, post here or send me a PM and I will provide additional detail.

In my mind, this event is not only worthwhile, its needed. These guys paid a huge sacrifice (whether you agree with the war or not) and any chance we get to show appreciation should be taken.

Hope to hear from you and see you there!

------------------------------------------------------

FINALLY !!! DETAILS !!!!

OK, here are the final details.

The event is a GO for August 25 from 1-3:00 at the Malone House on the Grounds of Walter Reed.

A BBQ was vetoed because of budget reasons. So, light refreshments will be served instead.

IMPORTANT: FOR THOSE INTENDING TO BRING CARS TO DISPLAY, THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION IS REQUIRED

PROVIDE THIS INFORMATION IN A PM TO ME AND ZX3_CHICK ONLY DO NOT POST PUBLICLY!!!

Required:

Full Name (Make sure it matches your Driver's License)

Vehicle Make

Vehicle Model

Vehicle Color

Tag #

For those bringing cars on trailers -

Same as above, but also include the tow vehicle tag number and the trailer. Race cars are not required to provide tag numbers.

I will need to pass this information to the Force Protection unit at Walter Reed a MINIMUM of 1 week prior to the event. So, let me know soonest if you are going to attend.

Staging. For those towing vehicles, a separate parking lot will be provided near the Malone House. Race Cars are permitted to DRIVE to the Malone House (approx. 1/8 mile distance). Non-race cars can proceed directly to the Malone House.

Signs will lead the way.

There will be a "registration" table at the Malone House to check in.

Also, it is requested that if you have photos available of the car you intend to display to provide them in advance.

You can email me those in JPEG format at

tom.newman@concept-solutions.com

I was also told that there will be an informal set of trophies awarded to participants.

- People's Choice

- Soldier's Choice (Only military can participate)

- Dream Car

In terms of attendance, we can expect anywhere from 20 soldiers and families to 300 soldiers and their families. It is difficult to determine how many troops will be there. In my mind, the fewer the better for obvious reasons.

Once again, I can't thank you all enough for your support in this effort. I think that it will be a great success.

"I live with fear every day and sometimes, she lets me race."

2002 SVT Focus... Stock

Last edited by Chick; 07-11-2007 at 01:50 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2007, 02:46 PM   #2
Chick

Fan#: 151
What I Drive: '13 Taffeta White Civic Si Sedan

Points 184,946, Level 100
Points: 184,946, Level: 100 Points: 184,946, Level: 100 Points: 184,946, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 133 Chick Excellent Standing Member Chick Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (37)
Where is this located?

I may be interested in this. Sounds like a very good cause.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:04 PM   #3
Lockdown
Focus Addict

Fan#: 45876
What I Drive: 2007 CD-Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 2 Lockdown Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
I would definitely be interested. Depends on location and time but as of now I am free. I have family in the armed forces and I always willing to work for a good cause.

Team Duratec #59
Old 06-25-2007, 03:13 PM   #4
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

FF Reputation: 175 WeeAsp Excellent Standing Member WeeAsp Excellent Standing Member
As the troops have limited mobility because of their injuries the event will be held on the grounds of Walter Reed.

Information is still coming from the Office of Public Affairs as to which parking lot, but for your planning, it is at Walter Reed.

2002 SVT Focus... Stock
Old 06-25-2007, 03:19 PM   #5
Lockdown
Focus Addict

Fan#: 45876
What I Drive: 2007 CD-Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 2 Lockdown Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Thats not bad I should be able to come. Dont want to promise because last minute things come up but I will plan to come.

Also quick question, getting into Walter Reed is a pan if you are a civilian due to all the security checks. I know information is limited as you say but is their going to be a list or will be received ID's to allow us in. They will let civilians in I believe but only if they have a reason to be their.

Team Duratec #59
Old 06-25-2007, 03:24 PM   #6
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

Once I have a definitive list of who is coming and vehicle information a list will be provided to Walter Reed.

Once on the list, good to go.

Public affairs has not told us what (if any) additional information we need from people.

So, I will make that available as soon as it comes to me.

2002 SVT Focus... Stock
Old 06-25-2007, 05:16 PM   #7
Kfokus
Focus autox'r

Fan#: 40398
What I Drive: zx3

FF Reputation: 41 Kfokus Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Noble cause.
I'm in, depending on several factors.
So that would be a really big MAYBE.
BUt i have all the respect in the world for those who sacrifice for my freedoms
Old 06-25-2007, 06:12 PM   #8
arrestmespi
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 27586
What I Drive: '04 Mazdaspeed Mx-5, '72 M35A2

FF Reputation: 27 arrestmespi Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
maybe, but If I come I'll bring my classic porsche
Old 06-25-2007, 08:07 PM   #9
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

^^

That would be cool.

We are trying to get a mix of real classic American cars (Buicks, Chevys, etc.), race cars, tuner cars and unique cars.

The logic being that a lot of these guys/gals are very young and haven't been exposed to a lot of car history.

So, we want stuff that appeals to them now, like tuner cars, as well as vehicles that got the car world where it is today.

2002 SVT Focus... Stock
Old 06-28-2007, 01:35 AM   #10
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

NEW INFORMATION !!

OG Racing has signed up to bring their SPEC RX 7 to the event!!

T Giovanis Motorsports will also attend from Grand Am Cup!

We are still working through the details with the Army to determine facility access, but we've been assured it will not be an issue.

Hope more can come out!

2002 SVT Focus... Stock

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.