Focus as a tow vehicle??? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-11-2004, 12:02 PM   #1
chuka
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1966
What I Drive: '00 Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 chuka Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Focus as a tow vehicle???

Hey Guys and Gals,
I know I will most likely take some heat for this questions but I have to ask. I have a 2000 SE Sedan with the Zetec engine and I am wanting to know if anyone has used their Foci as a tow vehicle. I looked on the Ford site and they show a towing capacity of 1000lbs. I even checked out Drawtite (a hitch company) and they sell a Class 1 hitch (2000lbs) that is a direct bolt on for the Focus. I have a little tent trailer and was wondering if anyone else in our community has pulled anything with their Focus? Did it do alright? Would you recommend it, and if not why? I know everyone wants their Focus to look cool but in my house my little Foci has to wear many hats. And if I can pull the tent trailer with it, then it will not have to be sold. You see I have a ski boat I have to pull with my truck. This is my situation. I really love my little Focus and hope some of you can help with some guidance. And I also expect a certain amount of flamage to come my way. So fire away. ;-)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2004, 12:15 PM   #2
focaltech

Fan#: 490
What I Drive: 2001 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 focaltech Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (-1)
No one should flame you for anything. Your using your car for a purpose and thats a good thing.

I have only seen one foci with a hitch towing something, so I know it can be done.

What are you looking to tow, just a small trailer, it should be fine.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:22 PM   #3
SVTDavan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 2767
What I Drive: 03 SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 SVTDavan Good Standing Member
Like the Ford site says, you can tow up to 1000 lbs. Just don't expect stellar gas mileage.
svt.framedfiction.com - #22 of 3985
calgaryfocus.com - Calgary Focus Owners Club
Old 02-11-2004, 12:25 PM   #4
viney266
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 93
What I Drive: focus ztw ,zx3,mustang, motorcycles

Points 229,582, Level 100
Points: 229,582, Level: 100 Points: 229,582, Level: 100 Points: 229,582, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 112 viney266 Excellent Standing Member viney266 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
You should be fine as long as the weight isn't to much. Do you have an atx, if so, you just have to watch the heat in an auto, a stick, no worries..I had a college roomate that towed a single jetski with a geo metro!!, never had problems. Just don't tow anything to heavy, and if she starts to get hot, just pull over and let it cool down.
Old 02-11-2004, 01:19 PM   #5
vanace
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 350
What I Drive: 2005 ST

FF Reputation: 1 vanace Good Standing Member
just stay under the weight limits and you will be fine. realize that vehicles are under rated for towing for a saftey margin and legal reasons. It will tow more, but your out of luck if it breaks or you get into an accident because of the weight.
ST crew #18
Old 02-11-2004, 02:35 PM   #6
whiteboyslo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 180
What I Drive: 04 Pontiac GTO - Yellow M6

FF Reputation: 2 whiteboyslo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
well, if it can't haul ass it might as well haul something! (yeah, i know that was bad). i've seen focii pull some decent pop-ups, if that's what you're thinking.

Mike
Old 02-11-2004, 02:53 PM   #7
awebb
Focus Addict

Fan#: 259
What I Drive: 2003 ZX3 Sangria Red

FF Reputation: 1 awebb Good Standing Member
What do you mean by pop ups?

Speed: AEM Short Ram Intake, Focus Central Race Header, Custom 2.25" Header-Back Exhaust.

Looks: Red Shorty Antenna, Superblue headlights.
Old 02-11-2004, 08:04 PM   #8
oldschool
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 358
FF Reputation: 1 oldschool Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by vanace
just stay under the weight limits and you will be fine. realize that vehicles are under rated for towing for a saftey margin and legal reasons. It will tow more, but your out of luck if it breaks or you get into an accident because of the weight.

IN NO WAY DO I ENDORSE WHAT I AM ABOUT TO SAY... IT IS UNSAFE, ILLEGAL, AND SHOULD NOT BE DUPLICATED!!!!
okay, now I feel better.

On my SVT I use a Draw-Tite hitch. I have a 12'x6' trailer that I pull behind it. I have loaded my Dixie Chopper (zero turn mower) and a lawn roller that weighs about 500 lbs on the trailer and went a totat of about 20 miles. On another occasion I had 1600lbs of landscape stones on the trailer. That wasn't too bad until I had to stop at a light on a slight hill. Smoked clutch and sweaty palms baby!!
If you are going to pull a trailer with your focus, be sure to balance the load properly. Just as important as the total load, look at the toungue weight rating. Should be 100lbs. Do not exceed this!!! In other words, load the trailer with a slight forward bias. Stopping this little car with this big load is no fun either, just don't get in a hurry for anything. Remember your Focus is well under 3000lbs. It wasn't meant to stop an overly large proportionate load.
Be careful, thoughtful, and take it easy and you should be okay. Just don't push it. Personally, now that we have a Mountaineer, I will be using it to haul the above mentioned items. The ball sticking off the back is a nice parking lot deterrent to people pulling up too close though!

If GUNS kill PEOPLE, then SPOONS made Rosie O'Donnell FAT!!!
Old 02-11-2004, 10:54 PM   #9
chuka
Focus Enthusiast

These responses are exactly what I was looking for. Thanks to everyone for the help. I have towed a boat most my driving life so I know the porper way to haul things. I was just wanting some insight if anyone has done it with a Focus. I have a 10' popup tent trailer and I think it weighs right at 1000lbs. I will definately plan on evening out my load and not crammin' a bunch of extra crap into it. I can throw all the other camping gear in the boat and the truck will pull that and not even know it is there. Thank again for everyones help. I knew I could count on y'all. Chuka.
Old 02-11-2004, 10:59 PM   #10
chuka
Focus Enthusiast

And mine is a stick.......so no auto worries as well. ;-)

Bookmarks & Social Networks