Cars Crushed in Street Racing Crackdown - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 06:50 PM   #1
02_SonicBluSVT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 35906
What I Drive: 993 Carrera

FF Reputation: 5 02_SonicBluSVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Cars Crushed in Street Racing Crackdown

I saw this on Fox News today, and thought this is something good coming from Cali! I guess it doesn't matter if you win, or lose the race, you still end up losing your ride!

Best part... Homeboys are sitting there watching as their car's meet their demise!

http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2007Jun...otRods,00.html

Quote:
RIALTO, Calif. Charles Hoang winced when the whoosh went out of the tires. Daniel Maldonado took pictures with a digital camera as glass exploded and rained down to the ground.

The cars the teens had so meticulously souped up and tricked out were crushed Wednesday as part of a crackdown on illegal street racing in Southern California.

"That's my heart, my dream," said Hoang, 18, of Chino, who was surrounded by friends as his 1998 Acura Integra was put into a compactor. "That's my girlfriend, the love of my life. The cops can crush my car, but they can't crush my memories."

Authorities destroyed six vehicles Wednesday at an auto graveyard, hoping would-be racers think again after looking at the mashed machines. Illegal street racing is responsible for or suspected in 13 deaths in Southern California since March.

The thrill-seeking, adrenaline-pumping activity is rampant in Riverside and San Bernardino counties east of Los Angeles where rows of tract homes line wide streets that attract racers.

Nearly 1,000 people _ drivers and spectators _ have been arrested for investigation of street racing activities over the past two years in San Bernardino County alone. Police need a court order to destroy the cars. They must prove that the serial or identification numbers on a vehicle or its parts are removed, altered or destroyed.

Police said they have managed to reduce illegal racing and related fatal collisions, but know the underground hobby still thrives.

"We are making a dent," said Ontario police Cpl. Jeff Higbee. "But it's summertime and ... we expect to see more activity."

Hoang said he was caught late last year racing his prized car, on which he spent at least $10,000 to get into top shape. The 350-horsepower engine topped out at 160 mph, Hoang said, swearing it could beat a Corvette or even a Ferrari.

When police popped open the hood, Hoang said, they found a stolen transmission. Hoang flashed a receipt for the transmission he bought from his father who runs an auto shop and doubted the item was hot.

"Everything on that car was practically brand new," Hoang said as he watched his car get moved to auto death row. "They should take out the stuff that matters, auction it off, and give the money to charity."

Because racers put heavy stress on their vehicles, they often burn out or blow up parts. Higbee said the need for the expensive parts has created a "theft mill" where additional cars _ usually Hondas or Acuras _ are stolen and stripped of the necessary replacements.

Most of the cars police examine are illegally modified. Sergio Zavala, 18, was pulled over in his 1993 yellow Honda Civic for a broken tail light in December. He had purchased a B-20 Vtech engine with a double-overhead cam a couple months before, and after a police investigation, was told it was stolen.

Zavala, who admits he's been involved in street racing, estimates he and his mother spent about $10,000 on improvements to his car.

After watching his Civic demolished, Zavala is left without a car as he plans to attend a fire academy in the fall.

"It's heartbreaking to see this," said Zavala, who graduated from high school last week. "This is where all my time and money went."

Maldonado also said he put plenty of time and effort working on his 1992 black Honda Civic. He was stopped in November by police in what Higbee described as an area where racers gather.

The 18-year-old mechanic said a vehicle identification sticker apparently fell off and without it, police suspected some of the parts were stolen. Maldonado stood several feet away from his car as it was pounded into a heap of metal.

Maldonado said he has taken the advice of police by racing legally on one of several race courses around Southern California. For the money spent in fines and other penalties _ on average about $5,000 for illegally modified cars _ Higbee said street racers could compete about 250 times a year at a legitimate track.

"If you have to race, take it to a legal venue," Higbee said. "But as long as they keep racing illegally, we keep crushing their cars."

All three men who saw their vehicles destroyed said they believe illegal street racing will continue to prosper across the region.

"It will never go away," Maldonado said. "If it's in your heart, you will continue to do it until you can't anymore."

Previous Car: 2002 Sonic Blue SVT #2769 Built June 13, 2002

Beer is proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy. -Benjamin Franklin
    Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2007, 06:57 PM   #2
NikiterZTS
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 28234
What I Drive: 2002 Gun Grey ZTS

FF Reputation: 5 NikiterZTS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
they started doing this in torono 6 or so months ago....i'lltry to find an article

I have 5 points on this site :-/
Old 06-20-2007, 06:59 PM   #3
EvilGenius
Focus Addict

Fan#: 38939
What I Drive: 2001 Silver ZX3 5spd

FF Reputation: 4 EvilGenius Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little bit sad to read that. I've heard of other states doing this. Do they crush your car the first time you get caught, or is it because they had stolen parts or a history of racing?
Old 06-20-2007, 07:02 PM   #4
SkaAddict
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1690
FF Reputation: 69 SkaAddict Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
I'm glad I don't live in an area where the cops pull people over and arbitrarily determine that all of your non-factory installed parts were stolen, seize your car and destroy it. I don't condone street racing, but this kind of sting could easily rope in completely innocent people. And frankly, it makes my skin crawl...just like when the cops roll into a parking lot and arrest anyone with a modded car and seize their cars for street racing, basing it on guilt by association: illegal street racers have modded cars and street racers are known to hang out at this location. Therefore, if you have a modded car at this location then you're an illegal street racer.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:05 PM   #5
EMAN44
Focus Addict

Fan#: 10609
What I Drive: 2014 Focus ST1 TS

Points 4,691, Level 43
Points: 4,691, Level: 43 Points: 4,691, Level: 43 Points: 4,691, Level: 43
Level Up 71% Completed
Level up: 71% Level up: 71% Level up: 71%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 4 EMAN44 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (18)
That's why you should go to the track, such a waste. The article says the one car had a B-20 Vtec, is there such a thing? I know about the K20 and B18 but not a B20. It was funny how that douche was just watching his car get crushed "yeah I think I'll do it again..." Bullcrap! He'll be drivin like a lil' baby from now on.

Emanuel
EX Zetec Crew #44 2003 Focus ZX3 -- RIP
Sonic Crew #24 -- 2012 Focus HB SE - Traded
Upgraded Sonic Crew #24 -- 2014 Focus ST
Old 06-20-2007, 07:08 PM   #6
gonzorelic
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 13348
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black SVT Focus ZX5

FF Reputation: 31 gonzorelic Great Standing Member
all riced out civics to the crusher! sounds like the cops hate rice! maybe if those kids started driving donuts...?

WWW.PATTERNTEK.COM
WWW.SNAPOFFRACING.COM
Old 06-20-2007, 07:09 PM   #7
Django
Focus Addict

Fan#: 45216
What I Drive: 2007 Zx3 SES, SAP, Black

FF Reputation: 17 Django Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkaAddict View Post
I'm glad I don't live in an area where the cops pull people over and arbitrarily determine that all of your non-factory installed parts were stolen, seize your car and destroy it. I don't condone street racing, but this kind of sting could easily rope in completely innocent people. And frankly, it makes my skin crawl...just like when the cops roll into a parking lot and arrest anyone with a modded car and seize their cars for street racing, basing it on guilt by association: illegal street racers have modded cars and street racers are known to hang out at this location. Therefore, if you have a modded car at this location then you're an illegal street racer.
Truth.

At what about cars that come from the factory riced out? Ive had cops write a ticket for cars of mine for the wrong car. Example, I had a 89 cavalier. Copy wrote a ticket for a 91 mustang.....

Some cops dont know shit about cars, so some guy buys a brand new scion Tc, with a bunch of parts from toyota, he gets his car impounded and crushed simply because it dont "look" stock?

This is giving cops to much control.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:13 PM   #8
EvilGenius
Focus Addict

Fan#: 38939
What I Drive: 2001 Silver ZX3 5spd

FF Reputation: 4 EvilGenius Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMAN44 View Post
That's why you should go to the track, such a waste. The article says the one car had a B-20 Vtec, is there such a thing? I know about the K20 and B18 but not a B20.
Not from the factory, no. But they're pretty easy to make and actualy pretty d potent. Basically you take the B20 out of a CRV, get a VTEC conversion kit and put a GSR head on it. My friend's brother had one and it was rediculously fast for how cheap it was to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkaAddict View Post
Words.
I agree, street racing isn't exactly a great thing but it's way over the top. Now if they impounded it and made you pay like 3k to get it back or gave you real jail time for being a repeat offender I wouldn't be horribly opposed to it. But it's way to easy to be guilty by association and basically have the state steal your car from you and make you watch them destroy it with a big s eating grin on their face.

Last edited by EvilGenius; 06-20-2007 at 08:54 PM.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:18 PM   #9
NikiterZTS
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 28234
What I Drive: 2002 Gun Grey ZTS

FF Reputation: 5 NikiterZTS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
^^^i lost to 1990 civic sedan at the track with B20.....the sucker had me by a car and a half + he had and extra person in it........he told me he pushed 128whp.....don't remember how much TQ

I have 5 points on this site :-/
Old 06-20-2007, 07:25 PM   #10
Onlyford4me
Umm, nothing

Fan#: 3341
What I Drive: 03 Black ZX3, 09 F150

FF Reputation: 7 Onlyford4me Good Standing Member
Yeah, I can't believe they crush these cars either. At most they should just make the fines so expensive that it will make people think twice. Just like the article said, for 5g's they could have raced all year long. And I think that for 5g's you could probably race for two or three. I hate it when anybody in the government is able to seize your property. Hit people where it hurts, your bank account.

"Government is not the solution to the problem; government is the problem."
Closed Thread

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.