DIY exterior painting guidance... - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-19-2007, 08:28 PM   #1
Alex52686
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 13382
What I Drive: 2002 Ford Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 Alex52686 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
DIY exterior painting guidance...

Well I'm getting a pair of halo headlights for my svt but their yellow and I have a CD silver focus and needles to say they wont be touching my car till they match. So I need advice on how to paint these. Best place to get matching paint/clear coat? How do I apply it (arosoul can or compressor & gun)? I have a compressor and a junk gun but I'm worried that a bad gun will give me bad results. (it was an ebay purchase I've never used it)

INTERIOR: Cigarette lighter kill switch for both TC and starter, 2 Blue LED's in each air vent, Dual Guage Pod W/Voltmeter+Air/Fuel Guage, brushed aluminum switch panel, Custom SpeedHut dash (blue with silver flames), RAZO pedals, Blue dome light,
AUDIO: Pioneer DEH-P8MP Head Unit, 2 Xtant 12" subs (500W RMS 2000W Peak/each), Alphasonik PMA1000HCA (500 Watts x 2 @ 4 ohms Stereo 3000W Peak), 4 JBLs, Pac-Audio wired steering wheel control interface, Sirius Satelite Radio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2007, 08:54 PM   #2
Cajun Boy876
Focus Addict

Fan#: 32579
What I Drive: 2004 Silver ZTS

FF Reputation: 6 Cajun Boy876 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Hey, I posted a bunch of pictures on this forum just recently about painting my fenders. I have my F2 bumper comming in next week so Im super excited. The compresser and gun works like a charm! I painted My mirror caps and fenders myself with compresser and a gun, the gun only costed me 90 dollars. Here are some pictures!

I can give you some tips!
1) The trick is knowing how to adjust your gun. You have to be able to throw out enough paint and air. To much of one and your either getting the orange peel look or you are dripping like a mofo.
2) Clean your gun after everytime you paint! Everything, take your nozzle off and clean everything that gets touched by paint. This screwed me up because I didnt take the nozzle off and clean inside the gun cuz I was stupid and costed me almost 2 days of painting!
3) when you shoot clear coat you only have like a hour-2 hours to shoot and get the shit out of your gun. So make sure everything is prepped and ready to go!
4) Be patient and take your time!

I'm leaving for New Orleans tommorow to see my girlfriend untill Sunday. So if you wait I can contact you by email or by messaging either one. I say go for it super easy that was the first time I have ever painted, if I could do it all over again Im sure I could make it look just like stock. By the way CD silver is probably the easiest color to paint it blends so easy since you have the little metallic sparkles. I went to a local paint store and go the paint and its called TS- but all the places I been to calls it Silver Frost and not CD silver. So dont be alarmed if it says silver frost. But then again can you tell which of the mirror caps were painted with can and spray gun?

The top one was canned and the bottom one was sprayed. Up close you can tell a diffrence because the sprayed ones have the metallic sparkles in them. If I was you, you would probably safe to can them. But doing a whole body pannel wouldn't look to good.

Team DURATEC # 127
Old 06-20-2007, 01:52 PM   #3
Alex52686
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 13382
What I Drive: 2002 Ford Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 Alex52686 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Looks fantastic!! you did an amazing job...I think I'm going to try can because my gun is shat and I dont wanna spring 100 for a new one. As far as prep goes, did you regular sand and wet sand? what grits did you use and what prep is needed between coats? Also where did you get your canned matching paint from?
INTERIOR: Cigarette lighter kill switch for both TC and starter, 2 Blue LED's in each air vent, Dual Guage Pod W/Voltmeter+Air/Fuel Guage, brushed aluminum switch panel, Custom SpeedHut dash (blue with silver flames), RAZO pedals, Blue dome light,
AUDIO: Pioneer DEH-P8MP Head Unit, 2 Xtant 12" subs (500W RMS 2000W Peak/each), Alphasonik PMA1000HCA (500 Watts x 2 @ 4 ohms Stereo 3000W Peak), 4 JBLs, Pac-Audio wired steering wheel control interface, Sirius Satelite Radio
Old 06-24-2007, 02:45 PM   #4
Cajun Boy876
Focus Addict

Fan#: 32579
What I Drive: 2004 Silver ZTS

FF Reputation: 6 Cajun Boy876 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
The can I just use Dupli Color from auto zone. I dry sanded first. Then once I put primer, paint, clearcoat I wetsanded. Grits, everybody says use 400 before you prime. You dont want to sand between your base coat and clear coat.

Team DURATEC # 127

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->