Custom Amp rack - Help - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-05-2007, 04:48 PM   #1
iggy097
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 47906
What I Drive: 2001 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 iggy097 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Custom Amp rack - Help

Okay, well before I hook up my 4 channel, I think I want to build an amp rack for the two amps that shows them off nicely. I was thinking of something that kinda acted like a shelf with the sub under one corner, and an open compartment with a door for storage on the other side.

Anyone able to show me a pic of something they have made like this?

Here is a crude drawing of what I'm looking to do. Any input would be appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Amp rack.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	12430  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2007, 05:18 AM   #2
cronus1987
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 47599
What I Drive: 2004 Focus SVT InfraRed

FF Reputation: 5 cronus1987 Good Standing Member
It's good that your thinking of building your own. I am a big fan of DIYing anything and everything. Saves money and you'll be able to make it however you want. That being said, i dislike the idea of the storage compartment. If you absolutely have to have then build it, but i really doubt it'll look good being built into a speaker enclosure. IMO it'll look like a kitchen cabinet with a speaker stuck in it..

All i can really do here is offer you my opinions, so here's [more of] what i think.

Mount the amps slanting downward; it'll show them off better.
I'd make the box so that everything will be somewhat symetrical- sub with amp on either side.
NO storage compartment.

Whatever you decide to do is really only limited by your creativity and your carpentry skills. Before you start building anything go get a bunch of cardboard and make a mock-up to see how it'll actually look in the car. Print some pictures of the amps and the sub and glue/tape them to the cardboard. If you're a perfectionist you could even spraypaint the cardboard.

God i gave you a lot of input. Hope it wasn't more than desired... lol

keep us (me) updated on whatever you come up with!

Official Mayo Hater #3
Old 07-07-2007, 09:55 AM   #3
iggy097
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 47906
What I Drive: 2001 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 iggy097 Good Standing Member
I do like the idea of mounting the amps slanting downward. Hmmm if I scrapped the storage compartment, I could always fold down a seat and put something back there if needed.
I was trying to think of something that I could keep the factory hatch cover, so you wouldnt be able to see the system when looking into the car from the outside, ( security reasons ).
Windows are tinted though, wonder if it would make that much of a difference...
Old 07-07-2007, 10:11 AM   #4
mighty_mouse
Focus Addict

Fan#: 28775
What I Drive: 2005, White, ZX3

FF Reputation: 17 mighty_mouse Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I think its a great idea that your building your own box. I did the same thing. The only thing that might be a problem with your design is that the amps will need proper ventaliation or they will over heat. Is it going to be a sealed enclosure for the sub or a ported one? just to give you a few ideas here are some pictures of mine. Clicky Clicky

Mouse
[Team Duratec #86] [L.O.T.H #7]
Like MAC products for your Mustang or Focus? Come talk to me, I'll help you out
Old 07-08-2007, 04:51 AM   #5
cronus1987
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 47599
What I Drive: 2004 Focus SVT InfraRed

FF Reputation: 5 cronus1987 Good Standing Member
I don't know too much about the crime rate where you live, but there's no way in HELL i'd take that hatch cover out if i had hundreds worth of audio equipment in the back. It'd almost be an invitation to steal it.

like i said though. Get a couple big sheets of cardboard and build a mock-up out of it before you decide anything final. Then from there you could make little changes to accomodate whatever new ideas you come up.

Official Mayo Hater #3
Old 07-08-2007, 08:44 AM   #6
MattZX3
Detailing Freak

Fan#: 30258
What I Drive: 2012 Nero Black, Fiat 500 Sport

FF Reputation: 23 MattZX3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cronus1987 View Post
I don't know too much about the crime rate where you live, but there's no way in HELL i'd take that hatch cover out if i had hundreds worth of audio equipment in the back. It'd almost be an invitation to steal it.

like i said though. Get a couple big sheets of cardboard and build a mock-up out of it before you decide anything final. Then from there you could make little changes to accomodate whatever new ideas you come up.
yep, i NEVER take the hatch cover off...
Old 07-09-2007, 07:09 PM   #7
focuspwr
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 39546
What I Drive: 06 Sonic Blew ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 focuspwr Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty_mouse View Post
I think its a great idea that your building your own box. I did the same thing. The only thing that might be a problem with your design is that the amps will need proper ventaliation or they will over heat. Is it going to be a sealed enclosure for the sub or a ported one? just to give you a few ideas here are some pictures of mine. Clicky Clicky

Mouse

nice set up!! i likes that....how much did it cost you to make that if you dont mind me asking...im looking to do something similar with my set up i've got a small jL amp
Old 07-11-2007, 01:00 AM   #8
mighty_mouse
Focus Addict

Fan#: 28775
What I Drive: 2005, White, ZX3

FF Reputation: 17 mighty_mouse Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by focuspwr View Post
nice set up!! i likes that....how much did it cost you to make that if you dont mind me asking...im looking to do something similar with my set up i've got a small jL amp
geez idk.... the sub floor I built out of scrap 1x4 that were left over from a job and the plywood was some dense concrete forming materal that I picked off the side of the road... lol. I think that the only thing I bought was the carpet for $17 Ill tell you what I can do though, I'll give you a rough materials list and that might help you price it.

1. 1.5 sheets of plywood
2. 12 lft of 1x4
3. box of screws
4. 3 yrds of carpet... (i think)
5. a crap load of time and pactience....

just a small tip on the carpet - dont get one that was woven with nylon mesh underneath and coated with rubber. get one that has a felt type back or you will be crying because of unraveling. I made that mistake on someone elses box

Mouse
[Team Duratec #86] [L.O.T.H #7]
Like MAC products for your Mustang or Focus? Come talk to me, I'll help you out

Bookmarks & Social Networks