Did the 60k tranny service myself. - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-10-2007, 10:14 PM   #1
Ispi
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 44846
What I Drive: 2003 Silver Focus SE (SPI-SOHC)

FF Reputation: 1 Ispi Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Did the 60k tranny service myself.

This forum provided great information, above and beyond the Haynes Manual
My experience: An electric drill with 8mm socket helped with the 20 pan bolts. Try as I might with plastic putty knives, I could not get the pan off. The black RTV held the pan very tight! I resorted to using a metal putty knife and a screw driver After wresting with it for an hour I finally dropped the pan. A basting pan was used to collect all fluid, which was latter measured (3.6 quarts). The tranny pan had no noticeable residue at the bottom, but the magnet was coved with what looked like grease. The filter did not seem particularly dirty.

Removing the black RTV from the pan took some time I resorted to using a wire wheel dremmel tool to remove all traces. A good scrub in soap and water followed by liberal use of brake cleaner left the pan and magnet looking like new. The neoprene gasket that came with the filter kit was an easy install. 3-stage torque to 6 ft.-lb., refill of 3.6 qt. and no leaks Did I miss anything? Do people just buy a new pan? Do you grease the magnet?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2007, 10:20 PM   #2
jeepinbanditrider
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 47949
What I Drive: 2004 Saturn Ion Redline

FF Reputation: 1 jeepinbanditrider Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I'm glad the auto on my Jeep XJ has a drain plug. I've replaced the little metal mesh "filter" once back at about 90k miles.
ZETEC CREW #160
Old 06-10-2007, 11:00 PM   #3
Crakaveli
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 46106
What I Drive: 2002 Liquid Gray ZX5

FF Reputation: 0 Crakaveli Newbie
i know 3 quarts is only part of the fluid. the total amount is 7 quarts.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:01 PM   #4
FordZX32000
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 33469
What I Drive: 2000 black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 FordZX32000 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakaveli View Post
i know 3 quarts is only part of the fluid. the total amount is 7 quarts.
Well I did my tranny service as well and put 5qts in. Iit appeard to be too full after 5. I want to say it calls for 6.9 qts or something like that.
I don't want to drop the pan and it seems to be shifting well so I just left it as is.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:04 PM   #5
jeepinbanditrider
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 47949
What I Drive: 2004 Saturn Ion Redline

FF Reputation: 1 jeepinbanditrider Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
You can take it to a tranny shop or the ford dealer and they have a machine they hook to the tranny cooling lines that changes out the fluid. It's kinda like doing a blood transfusion for your automatic. As the old fluid is pumped ou through the "out" line the new fluid is pumped in though the "in" line. This to me is the only way to get a "complete" flush without removing and tearing down the trans.
ZETEC CREW #160
Old 06-11-2007, 06:06 PM   #6
FordZX32000
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ispi View Post
My experience: An electric drill with 8mm socket helped with the 20 pan bolts. Try as I might with plastic putty knives, I could not get the pan off. The black RTV held the pan very tight! I resorted to using a metal putty knife and a screw driver After wresting with it for an hour I finally dropped the pan. A basting pan was used to collect all fluid, which was latter measured (3.6 quarts). The tranny pan had no noticeable residue at the bottom, but the magnet was coved with what looked like grease. The filter did not seem particularly dirty.

Removing the black RTV from the pan took some time I resorted to using a wire wheel dremmel tool to remove all traces. A good scrub in soap and water followed by liberal use of brake cleaner left the pan and magnet looking like new. The neoprene gasket that came with the filter kit was an easy install. 3-stage torque to 6 ft.-lb., refill of 3.6 qt. and no leaks Did I miss anything? Do people just buy a new pan? Do you grease the magnet?
I guess you could buy a new pan if the one on there is damaged. I did not grease the magnet. I don't know if it's supposed to be greased or not.
I did not use the black RTV. I used a new pan gasket only and no leaks.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:09 PM   #7
FordZX32000
Focus Enthusiast

Well,
How many Qts does it take with a DIY tranny service with a ATX ? 3.6, 6.9,7.0 ?
Old 06-11-2007, 10:14 PM   #8
Locke
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 46684
What I Drive: 2007 Red ZX4

FF Reputation: 1 Locke Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordZX32000 View Post
Well I did my tranny service as well and put 5qts in. Iit appeard to be too full after 5. I want to say it calls for 6.9 qts or something like that.
I don't want to drop the pan and it seems to be shifting well so I just left it as is.
Don't over fill the ATX. The fluid can foam up, and foam does not work very well as a hydraulic fluid. (it is compressible)
Old 06-11-2007, 11:28 PM   #9
Ispi
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 44846
What I Drive: 2003 Silver Focus SE (SPI-SOHC)

FF Reputation: 1 Ispi Good Standing Member
Update

Hay FORDZX32000 With a gasket in place the next pan drop should be a much easier If a leak does develop then we can re torque, up to 10 ft.lb. if necessary, right? I did consider a DIY tranny flush as suggested by others on this forum: Pull the upper cooler hose, run the car in neutral until 3 qts is pumped out, refill and repeat. This is supposed to be safe, especially as a way to flush the torque converter after a pan drop. May do this at the 90K pan drop.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:13 AM   #10
gerald2003r
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 47487
What I Drive: 2007 Liquid Grey ZX4 SES Automatic

FF Reputation: 1 gerald2003r Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ispi View Post

I think the grease you are refering to is really metal dust normal for the ATF to produce over time. Clean it well and no grease to be added!

Just gave my car to Kars4Kids and replaced it with a 2007 Focus SES,

during my frequent changes of tranny fluid and filters I would find this greasy powder on the magnet. I always cleaned the pan and magnet with lots of Dawn from the kitchen, may not be good as a car wash but it is a great degreaser. The magnet takes a little work with a lintless cloth. A little tack cloth for flooring is also good to pick up any lint from the wash area to the garage. When I gave the car away 2 weeks ago or so the tranny had 270,000 miles on it, used Synthetic the whole way since 1994. Finding Mobil 1 has not kept up to the pace so I'm going to run Amsoil in this new car. The tranny never fail in all those miles, did hick up a bit but she was always ready to go.

Gerald

Bookmarks & Social Networks