Need Help on SCT or Diablo! (Caterham 7 Guy) - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-07-2007, 10:45 PM   #1
the_rainman
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 3293
FF Reputation: 1 the_rainman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Need Help on SCT or Diablo! (Caterham 7 Guy)

This is the Caterham 7 (putting a Zetec in it) guy, and i need help... I have hit my first real snag in getting everything to go together the way i desired...

Here is the situation:

One of the things i most wanted to do was to work with Randy Robles at FocusSport to get my chip to work properly for my unique setup...the reviews here and the reviews on this site below are awesome for the SCT chip...

http://www.focushacks.com/chip-poll/results.php

So, i had bought a Zetec 2.0 ZX2 engine and a wiring harness/ECU that had been in a previous Caterham 7 and was already cut down to fit a Caterham.

The head on the engine previously had been seriously modded with stage 2 cams, shaved head (dont know how much), very ported, big valves, etc...

The ECU/chip on the engine previously had been modded apparently by Diablo. Dick Brink of Texas Motor Works (The guy i bought it from) said that they took it to a dyno and there paid $300 to mod the chip. The ECU has a Diablo sticker on it, but Dick didnt want to open it to see what the chip said (can we without harming anything)?

So, its most likely a tuned Diablo chip of some sort that was tuned to the previous setup (with the highly modified head)...

Now, realize that the original modded head was sold before i bought the engine and Dick threw in a new ZX3 stock head, so thats the head i now have...

Randy Robles talked to Dick and Randy concluded that he cant work with my current wiring harness/ECU...

So, the only way that i can now work with Randy and get the SCT chip is to do the following...

Find a 2000-2002 Focus Zetec 2.0 Overhead cam manual tranny donor car and get the same car's wiring harness + ECU + Keys and PATS system + ignition...

Well, i found a perfect donor car today by working with Steve at SVTPARTS (???), Steve directed me to a friend and his friend has the perfect car and is going to pull everything this weekend i need, and labor + parts + shipping sound like they will be $350-400, perfect! AND he will hold the car for a few weeks while we make sure we dont need anything else from the same car...even more perfect!

It will take my mechanic at least 5 hours to re-cut down the new wiring harness to fit a Caterham, so add some for that...

By getting the new wiring harness with matching ECU and keys (the one that Randy needs to be able to work with me for a SCT chip), i no longer need to buy the wiring harness i originally bought from Dick, so there is a $300 savings, almost paying for the new wiring harness and everything...

So, to work with Randy and get an XCAL 2 chip (he advised that), it will cost me:

+$400 for the wiring harness + matching ECU/Keys/PATS/Ignition
-$300 for credit on previous harness/ECU
+$200 for mechanic wiring harness modding
+$380 for XCAL2
=$680

OR, i could put a stop to the guy about to pull the new wiring harness and do the following...

Put in the already previously cut to fit for a Caterham wiring harness and its ECU/chip (Diablo?) and then take it to a dyno that deals with Diablo chips and get it retuned for my current setup...

I 'THINK' that it costs $300 to do that (assuming its a Diablo chip for real and is even moddable) AND then dyno time to dail it in, say another $150?

Plus then i dont get back my original $300 i paid for the harness + ECU...

So, assuming its a Diablo chip and i could get it tuned for lets be optimistic and say $300, to go the tweak the Diablo route and use the corresponding harness i already have, this route would cost me:

+$300 for wiring harness + ECU
+$300 for tuning

Looking at it this way, its a no-brainer to the SCT chip and the new/synced wiring loom/ECU/Keys, etc...

What do yall think?

Randy
:)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2007, 11:09 PM   #2
the_rainman
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 3293
FF Reputation: 1 the_rainman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
And further...

Realize that i am COMPLETELY new to all of this...i didnt even realize that you could mod the stock Ford ECUs effectively until a few weeks ago..

Since i bought the Caterham in late April i have been learning ALOT about what to do and not do...

What i am trying to do is to go under the radar of the serious money mods like Jenvey $1700 throttle bodies and Emerald $1000 ECUs (plus all the dail in time those require)...

I am wanting to see what working with the XCAL2 and Randy can do for my setup without having to spend the $4000 or so it would take to go the money is no object route...

I am thinking i will lose alot if i go the re-tune whatever i have and no SCT route...

Anyways, yall are great!

Randy
:)
Old 06-09-2007, 05:20 PM   #3
killer ZETEC
GL1TCH

Fan#: 44757
What I Drive: advance trac french blue 03 zx3

FF Reputation: 42 killer ZETEC Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
you can switch wiring harnesses so you dont need to cut another one. omly the ecu and the keyes need to be switched out. no big deal. get it up and running first then id put in a call to sct and get a multi program chip. so you can have 4 differeent tunes. set up a street tune, track tune, and a valet tune (keeps speed to 30 mph so there aint an issue withsomeone trying to be dumb in a caterham that isn't theres) and make sure you can get to the switch easily. that's my 2 cents but it might help
will it run soon?? who knows.

Bookmarks & Social Networks