Svt Vct Cam Timing Problems Arg!!! Help Please!!!! - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-06-2007, 06:47 PM   #1
Jerk
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 39718
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black SVT ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Jerk Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Svt Vct Cam Timing Problems Arg!!! Help Please!!!!

Well I recently had gotten back my SVTF(after 5 months of it being at the dealer) which was getting a new long block at local ford dealer up here. I put 2,700 on the new motor and it threw a code. P1381 advance cam timing, well after popping the valve cover off and putting it on TDC #1 sure enough the intake cam was in the wrong position, and the timing belt had felt awfully loose almost to the point where you could slide it off the cam gears without touching the tensioner by hand. I bought a new timing belt and followed the procedure for changing it but I noticed it takes about 1/4 turn of the crankshaft for the intake cam to turn aswell the gear just spins freely of the cam for that 1/4 turn, the exhaust cam turns as expected. Maybe a stupid question but the intake cam should turn with the cam even at the smallest amounts, correct? What about a VCT eliminator kit? Any suggestions. O and the Ford dealer I wont take it back to as they are insisting its an electrical problem, shortly after that he mentioned he could on charge me for electrical work as that is not part of the warranty. Any info of possible steps to solving my problem are much appreciated.

2003 SVT Focus #1615 of 3985

Last edited by Jerk; 06-28-2007 at 05:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2007, 06:54 PM   #2
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
First off I would of made them fix it under warranty BUT you have already messed with it its yours now,

The VCT gear gets loaded by oil psi so when the engine is off it will move freely causing issues when installing the Intake came gear OR make it look as if the cam gear/cam isnt installed correctl when it could be

This is why I came up with the VCT Elim (100.00) use this with 2 Adj cam gears and be done with it

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 06-06-2007, 07:03 PM   #3
Jerk
Focus Enthusiast

Thanks for your input tom it is much appreciated. I tried to make them fix however each time I said something to them the service manager mentioned we can charge you for electrical. It all comes down to being able to trust the people who work on my car. I trust myself a hell of a lot more then a dealership who lied to me for 5 months. Another question, seeing as there is no pil psi going to cam gear how can I still set the timing for that intake cam, do i need to rotate the cam gear till it begins to catch on that cam or what? The VCT eliminator kit is something i plan to get within the next few months here, as it just isnt in the budget at this time.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:08 PM   #4
SVT-SAGE
Banned

Fan#: 43249
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black SVTF

FF Reputation: 15 SVT-SAGE Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
I'm gonna do my T-belt this summer- And Tom I'm definately going to buy the VCT Delete kit... Thats like the 3rd or 4th time since I've ownd my SVTF
(6months) that I've read someone having that problem. I'm just going to knock two birds with one stone when I swap it out.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:21 AM   #5
WD40
The Librarian

Fan#: 5157
What I Drive: '04 Sonic Blue - SVT 3Door

FF Reputation: 138 WD40 Excellent Standing MemberWD40 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I'm not sure if this will help or not, but here's the factory procedure for timing belt replacement/cam timing setup:
http://atomic.speculation.org/Graphi...%20Timing.html
Old 06-10-2007, 08:11 PM   #6
goinloco1
Late for Dinner

Fan#: 8529
What I Drive: 13 stang

FF Reputation: 90 goinloco1 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
don't waste your time fighting the vct and throwing money at it, I have for about 6 months now and in a couple weeks am gonna just call it quits and order the kit from tom.
It's totally not worth the frustration and time to even try... believe me. much simpler to order the kit, throw on some gears and have a tuner turn off the vct and retune. costs way less i can tell you that.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:15 PM   #7
Jerk
Focus Enthusiast

Well I took it to the dealership and they called me and said, "well we think its the PCM." They also told me prior to bringing it to them that they could charge me for electrical components, thats the first thing they said to me. Now if it was to be the PCM, couldnt I just buy a programmer and reflash it and take care of it that way? I personal think theyre giving me some BS with the whole PCM thing. Any info and help will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance to the other Focus Junkies out there.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:33 PM   #8
Rogersvt22
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 48030
What I Drive: 2002 infra red svt

FF Reputation: 1 Rogersvt22 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I know it might be a dum question but why deleting the VCT? i already replace my timing belt and never had a problem with it but asking jut in case of problems on the future thankz!
Old 07-13-2007, 08:45 PM   #9
erittalf
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 12173
What I Drive: 2002 Blue Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 erittalf Good Standing Member
Why would a forum, dedicated to high performance, opt out of the benifit of VCT by purchasing a "delete kit" to avoid following cam timing directions? I just looked through the directions and its simple. All you have to do is reinstall the belt with the cams locked in place, then turn the engine over twice. Once the #1 piston is back at TDC, check the cams using the timing tool. If they are off, re-set them and try again. Honestly, you could re-set the pulley's at least 20 times in an hour, I'm sure at least one of those would be correct. Why would anyone wan't to pay $100 for less overall power? We are driving SVT's, so act like it!
Old 07-16-2007, 01:56 PM   #10
FriendlyFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 48770
What I Drive: 2004 Black SVT

FF Reputation: 1 FriendlyFocus Good Standing Member
I had the same problem after installing the exhaust cam gear. I checked the

timing 3 times and still had the fault code. I'm glad the dealership found it

cause i would have never thought. It was the "cam phaser" and VCT solinoid.

they reflashed my ECU and burned it up. luck for it was under warrenty. :)

Only $365

and my car was all better. Friendly again.

Bookmarks & Social Networks