Timing belt and interference info? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-04-2007, 07:07 PM   #1
faliol
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 23038
FF Reputation: 1 faliol Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Timing belt and interference info?

Hello,

I have a 2001 Ford Focus SE 16v Zetec Focus Wagon; I think it is a DOHC engine but not sure

I think I am in the need of a timing belt replacement, but getting conflicting reports as to when I should replace it and if my engine is an interference or non-interference engine.

Is my engine an interference or non-interference engine?

I had a mechanic give me an estimate for repacing the timing belt and he said it would be around $720 which I though was kinda high, that included the parts...he said the labor was like $395. Does that sound about right?

Should I take it to the dealership to get them to do it? I heard they charge about $400 from what other people are saying.

My car is at about 97,000 miles.

Any info would be helpful.

Kevin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2007, 07:14 PM   #2
jstrunk
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 43931
What I Drive: 2003 Black SVT

FF Reputation: 1 jstrunk Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (16)
i would say yes, you need to replace your timing belt now... also, if its 16valve then yeah its dohc.

hmmm i would say that probably 250-350 is about right for how much people would charge for labor (only reason is cause ive asked local places about how much it would cost to install my new CAM Gears and i believe you have to take off the timing belt for it)

interference or non-interference? not sure what your referring too... hmmm 300 for a timing belt? maybe a little steep....

i hope i help.. and hopefully im right... im not that much for mechanics..
Old 06-04-2007, 07:17 PM   #3
StealthGray
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 19017
What I Drive: '04 Liquid Gray ZX3

FF Reputation: 12 StealthGray Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Your engine is non-interference, and the recommended service for the belt is at 100k (IIRC), so you are about due.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:24 PM   #4
faliol
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 23038
FF Reputation: 1 faliol Good Standing Member
thanks for the replies...

So I do not have to worry about the timing belt breaking the valves if it breaks?

Stealth, do you think $720 is a little high?

There were some other parts he quoted like the seal and tensioner..
Old 06-04-2007, 07:39 PM   #5
StealthGray
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 19017
What I Drive: '04 Liquid Gray ZX3

FF Reputation: 12 StealthGray Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Well, since my 2.3 Duratec is a timing chain I'm not that familiar with the prices involved for the parts... the Zetec gang will have a better idea.
As for the labor, when I see how tight things are at that end of the engine I'm willing to pay someone else to mess with it (especially since I don't have a garage or spare car)
If you can supply the parts to the mechanic B16(something) on here can get you the parts at employee discount.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:25 PM   #6
Silas
Focus Addict

Fan#: 37971
What I Drive: 2000 Silver LX

FF Reputation: 4 Silas Good Standing Member
anything over $400 to change the timing belt is waaaaaaaaaay to much for sure. no offense but if my mech. ever said that much i'll tell him to shove it.

i think you could prolly get it done for around $350 all together EASILY. just shop around.

SEDAN REVOLUTION #14
Old 06-05-2007, 12:07 AM   #7
2KZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 33342
What I Drive: 2000 Twilight Blue ZX3 Jrsc

FF Reputation: 4 2KZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Owners manual says 125k for the timing belt, and yes I would shop around abit before I decided on a shop, and there is no way in hell I would spend $720, but then again I would just bust out my handy Haynes manual and do it myself
ATX Crew #1
2000 JRSC BBK ZX3 - The Little Blue Rocket
2000 SE Sedan - Great White = Traded
1990 Chevy 1500 6" lift Monster Truck
Old 06-05-2007, 02:15 AM   #8
Captain Moonpie
Focus "Sleeper"

Fan#: 41715
What I Drive: 2003 Focus ZX3 deep red

FF Reputation: 13 Captain Moonpie Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
THe high performance timing belt for the ZETEC is like $60. And I still think $350 is way too much. I have read the chilton manual too, and I have to admitt, changing the timing belt looks like a HUGE pain the ass, but $350 is still too much. And to change the cam gears, you do not have to remove the belt. I changed my cams and gears without taking it off.

GET NITROUS PEOPLE!!

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->