2002 Focus SE EGR Questions - Input Requested - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-31-2007, 01:34 PM   #1
Enggboy
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 47609
What I Drive: 2002 Red SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Enggboy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question 2002 Focus SE EGR Questions - Input Requested

Hello All, I am looking for a little advice from some people with a lot more Focus experience than I.

I have a 2002 Focus SE (8 valve SPI engine, auto tranny) with about 93k kms (57.5k miles) on it.

The EGR tube has separated from the flange that bolts it to the exhaust manifold. I called Ford and the EGR is not covered under the emissions system warranty (apparently this warranty ONLY applies to the cat), so I am on the hook for the cost of repair.

I have no trouble doing the work myself, it is a simple job, but the part I need costs $200 (Canadian) from Ford and is not available from NAPA, etc. I have called a few wreckers and none have one either.

My question is: What would happen if I just plugged the EGR off? Would I get a code thrown, or would there be driveability problems?

To do this I am thinking I could find some scrap metal and make a blanking plate to block off the exhaust manifold hole, and then plug the intake to the EGR valve to prevent unfiltered engine compartment air from entering the system. I would leave the valve hooked up, just block the flow of gas from the manifold and block the intake to the EGR valve.

This 'patch' would only be temporary, as I am currently trying to save money for my wedding this fall, and once that is over I would get the right part and put it back to OE specs.

Any thoughts you may have on the pro's and cons would be much appreciated.

P.S. There is no emission testing in my area, so I don't have to worry about that.

Thanks in advance,

Martin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2007, 03:16 PM   #2
tiresmoker
What bump stop?

Fan#: 20426
What I Drive: '00 ZX3 Turbo, '06 ST Turbo

FF Reputation: 24 tiresmoker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
there shouldn't be any driveability issues. All the EGR is there for is emissions anyway. EGR = Exhaust Gas Recirculation.

You'll bropibly get a CEL, something along the lies of insufficent EGR flow, but it won't make the car drive like crap.

Is there a bung on the header that the EGR tube screws into? Not too familiar with the SPI but on the Zetec there is a bung on the cat the tube screws to. If that is still there try and find a bolt that will thread into the hole instead of welding a plate on the header.
ST Crew #19
2006 ST Turbo: JUNE 07 ROTM 2007 Ride of the Year
2000 ZX3: superturbochargedpartscar
2005 Shinka RX-8: too many mods....
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03OrangeSVT
It was like concentrated death on chicken
Old 05-31-2007, 03:34 PM   #3
arrestmespi
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 27586
What I Drive: '04 Mazdaspeed Mx-5, '72 M35A2

FF Reputation: 27 arrestmespi Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
make a block off plate for the header using some flat iron, and cut the pipe leading to the intake, and put a small breather plug filter on the end. YOu may get a cel, and you can just get a tune and have the egr system tuned out anyway. pm mike b16sir1991 and he may be able to hook you up with the part. also you could take the plate and tube off and weld the tube to the plate back on
Old 05-31-2007, 04:05 PM   #4
Enggboy
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 47609
What I Drive: 2002 Red SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Enggboy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Thank you for the ideas.

On the SPI the EGR take off point is a bolted flange right off of the side of the manifold where the tube extends anbout 1.5~2 inches then takes a 90 and heads straight back (under the distributor cap) to the EGR valve, where it connects to the valve with a threaded connection. I plan to just take the old flange and use it as a template to make a new blanking plate without the hole in it.

I may end up getting the things weleded back together anyway, but I think I know the reason it failed in the first place. Now that the pipe is disconected from the flange, it actually has a gap of about 1/8"~1/4" that it has pulled away from the flange plate. My guess is that something wasn't properly aligned or a length wasn't quite right when it got put together and the repeated heating/cooling cycles have just fatigued the joint and one day she snapped clean. My fiancee was driving it at the time and said that it went from 100% normal to "sounding like a really loud sportbike" within 10 miles.

Thanks again, keep it coming.

Martin

Bookmarks & Social Networks