foam piece in air box - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-29-2007, 02:00 AM   #1
Crakaveli
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 46106
What I Drive: 2002 Liquid Gray ZX5

Points 1,153, Level 18
Points: 1,153, Level: 18 Points: 1,153, Level: 18 Points: 1,153, Level: 18
Level Up 53% Completed
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 0 Crakaveli Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
foam piece in air box

is this piece essential? i tried cleaning the one i had in there but it just fell apart. it was really dirty anyways. will my EaA air filter be enough?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2007, 02:05 AM   #2
SkaAddict
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1690
FF Reputation: 69 SkaAddict Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Its there to catch any incoming oil from the valvetrain breather tube. I have a Volant intake and the breather tube just plugs right in without any kind of filter, you should be fine without it.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:17 AM   #3
loudfocus01
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 26006
What I Drive: 2001 White LX 2002 Infra-Red Svt

FF Reputation: 107 loudfocus01 Excellent Standing Member loudfocus01 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
I always wondered this also when I installed my volant intake. I just ditched the foam piece.....good to hear that I did the right thing.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:26 AM   #4
viney266
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 93
What I Drive: focus ztw ,zx3,mustang, motorcycles

Points 230,345, Level 100
Points: 230,345, Level: 100 Points: 230,345, Level: 100 Points: 230,345, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 112 viney266 Excellent Standing Member viney266 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkaAddict View Post
Its there to catch any incoming oil from the valvetrain breather tube. I have a Volant intake and the breather tube just plugs right in without any kind of filter, you should be fine without it.
^^ True, it also acts as a crude filter element for the breather tube going in as well. If you run an aftermarket filter and it is "breathing" down stream from the filter element it is already getting "clean" air, so yes you are just fine.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:12 PM   #5
Captain Moonpie
Focus "Sleeper"

Fan#: 41715
What I Drive: 2003 Focus ZX3 deep red

FF Reputation: 13 Captain Moonpie Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Uhh, you REALLY want to put some sort of foam on there, pronto. THat is conected to the valvecover and is a strait access to your oil. I dont know if you ever noticed but it is really dirty underneath the filter, and that is where this valvetrain breather hose is connected. So without that little foam piece, what is going to keep your oil from getting nasty? With the volant its okay because the breather hose is connected to the intake AFTER the air filter (if connected at all, if it isnt then it has a little filter on the breather). Stock location is BEFORE the filter.

GET NITROUS PEOPLE!!
Old 05-29-2007, 10:49 PM   #6
SkaAddict
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Moonpie View Post
Uhh, you REALLY want to put some sort of foam on there, pronto. THat is conected to the valvecover and is a strait access to your oil. I dont know if you ever noticed but it is really dirty underneath the filter, and that is where this valvetrain breather hose is connected. So without that little foam piece, what is going to keep your oil from getting nasty? With the volant its okay because the breather hose is connected to the intake AFTER the air filter (if connected at all, if it isnt then it has a little filter on the breather). Stock location is BEFORE the filter.
I don't think you quite understand what the breather tube is for...the air isn't traveling into the crank case, its coming from the crank case. Ford had it run to the airbox for emissions reasons (so any oil vapors get burned when they're recirculated into the engine.) And on the stock airbox, its connected before the air filter...on the bottom of the airbox. The bottom of the airbox is the dirty side, the air is then pulled through the filter and on into the engine.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:46 AM   #7
Captain Moonpie
Focus "Sleeper"

Fan#: 41715
What I Drive: 2003 Focus ZX3 deep red

FF Reputation: 13 Captain Moonpie Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkaAddict View Post
I don't think you quite understand what the breather tube is for...the air isn't traveling into the crank case, its coming from the crank case. Ford had it run to the airbox for emissions reasons (so any oil vapors get burned when they're recirculated into the engine.) And on the stock airbox, its connected before the air filter...on the bottom of the airbox. The bottom of the airbox is the dirty side, the air is then pulled through the filter and on into the engine.
Still, I dont want ANY route for dirt to get into the oil. I live by murphy's law, I have to be carefull what I do lol. But seriously, I would much rather have all oil passages completly safe from incoming dirt.

GET NITROUS PEOPLE!!
Old 05-30-2007, 02:53 AM   #8
Crakaveli
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 46106
What I Drive: 2002 Liquid Gray ZX5

Points 1,153, Level 18
Points: 1,153, Level: 18 Points: 1,153, Level: 18 Points: 1,153, Level: 18
Level Up 53% Completed
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 0 Crakaveli Newbie
i think my EaA will do just fine.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:04 AM   #9
SkaAddict
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Moonpie View Post
Still, I dont want ANY route for dirt to get into the oil. I live by murphy's law, I have to be carefull what I do lol. But seriously, I would much rather have all oil passages completly safe from incoming dirt.
How are you going to get dirt into the valvetrain...?

The breather tube is under vaccum with the stock airbox configuration. Which means any air that travels through it is being sucked out of the top of the head. Aside from which, the space below the valve cover generates its own positive pressure, between the spinning cams and higher temperature than the air outside. That piece of foam is there to stop any excessive oil from collecting inside the airbox, it has nothing to do with keeping the valvetrain clean.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:44 AM   #10
dumbfounded17
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 45860
What I Drive: 2000 Subaru Outback

FF Reputation: 1 dumbfounded17 Good Standing Member
ITS A BREATHER FILTER...duh...if it was THAT dirty when u took it out u should replace it with a new one, i paid like $1.50 for a universal one u cut to fit which is large enough to be cut into 2 pieces...if it was there to begin with it is for a reason, take no risks

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.