Temperature Gauge Questions - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-27-2007, 01:36 AM   #1
joey8301
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 11894
FF Reputation: 1 joey8301 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Temperature Gauge Questions

Temperature Gauge Questions

I have owned a 2004 Ford Focus ZTS for 3 years It has 57,000 miles on it. Throughout this time my temperature gauge has always remained at that middle mark while driving and idling. I just got back from a 12 hour trip (one of many long trips for my car)…and I noticed that the temperature gauge would jump up while idling or going in reverse or sometimes in drive stuck in traffic. The gauge jumps from that middle point it always is at to a very hot point almost to overheating. Then the fan kicks on and it jumps back down to normal temp. While my car is driving on the highway it always stays at the normal temp. It will only do this if I put it in idle after a drive or if sometimes I kick it in reverse or sit in traffic. The engine is not leaking any coolant and never smokes or hesitates or anything. Kind of hard to explain, but the car has been running fine and the fans do kick on.

While I was in Tennessee away from my home in Buffalo, New York I got this checked out at a place. The guy told me this was normal for these cars (he worked on fords for 20 years). He also hooked it up to the diagnostic computer and said that the problem is just an erratic gauge. I was wondering if this is a normal problem…is this something I have to worry about. Should I get the gauge fixed? Or should I just keep on going with this gauge that will jump every once in a while. I just want to know if I should get this checked out again or fixed or not to worry about it.

I would appreciate help on this problem…also would like to know if I should get it looked at again…or if I should just not worry about it because it is common or is no big worry as long as the fans come on…

Let me know what to do.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2007, 01:42 AM   #2
SkaAddict
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1690
FF Reputation: 69 SkaAddict Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Your coolant is probably shot...the temperature gauge only moves from the middle when the engine is very close to overheating. It gets its signal from the head temperature sensor, there is no coolant temperature sensor on a non-SVT Focus. This could also point to a sticking thermostat or one of your fans not coming on at the correct time.
Old 05-27-2007, 04:52 AM   #3
InfraredZTW
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 15867
What I Drive: 2002 Infra-Red ZTW

FF Reputation: 1 InfraredZTW Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
How about...
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...light=hot+idle

on top of that you suggest a thermostat also?
we need more info, anybody.. help.

Bookmarks & Social Networks