fear of changing my own oil...mechanically challenged - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-21-2007, 12:40 PM   #1
foundonroadalive
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 46468
What I Drive: 2013 fiesta titanium blue candy

FF Reputation: 1 foundonroadalive Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Smile fear of changing my own oil...mechanically challenged

I have a2007 focus zx3 with 2000 miles. I would like to change my own oil. I want to buy ramps, the right oil filter wrench, and a wrench to get the bolt off the oil pan, a container for the used oil,. I am not mechanically inclined, to say the least. I plan to go to wal mart and get a container of their syn tech 5w- 20, a purolator filter, or something you all recommend, andthe stuff as listed. Tell me what to do, please. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by foundonroadalive; 05-21-2007 at 01:09 PM. Reason: left out car year
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2007, 01:31 PM   #2
svt2nv04
SVT Fanatic

Fan#: 16592
What I Drive: 2004 Sonic Blue SVT; 1572 of 1978

FF Reputation: 31 svt2nv04 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
here's a how to link

http://www.focushacks.com/index.php?modid=47
Old 05-21-2007, 03:30 PM   #3
Lil PZEV
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 242
What I Drive: 2003 TwiBlue 2.3 ZX3

FF Reputation: 15 Lil PZEV Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Wish I could, but I've not actually changed my own oil yet! Mostly because I lack the aforementioned tools you're getting (looks complete to me?) and now I live at an apartment so I'm not even sure I'm allowed.

I've heard to stay far away from FRAM filters, I do know that. And I think Walmart used to sell gallon jugs of motorcraft 5w-20, then they stopped, then it came back (or maybe that was a rumor)?

Oh don't forget some rags for any oil seepage, and perhaps a pair of plastic glasses? Glasses are probably overkill, not sure how close your head gets to the exiting oil, but they would make you look super cool!
Old 05-21-2007, 08:02 PM   #4
N2O Focus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 37645
What I Drive: 2004 Yellow Saleen Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 53 N2O Focus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
A good start would be to go to walmart. Buy a motocraft oil filter and 5 quarts of full synthetic oil. I prefer Valvoline or Mobil 1 Full Synthetic. The synthetic oil is good for 5000 mile oil change intervals. They should sell the filter wrenches there just make sure it fits the oil filter. The oil drain plug is a 15mm, I think, focus not here. Get an oil drain pan and the ramps. Just get help driving up onto them, you dont want to go off the other side.
First take the oil drain plug out and let the oil drain in to the container you bought. The oil pan bolt is located in the back of the engine oil pan. Once all of the oil is out you can put the drain bolt back in to the engine pan. Just dont overtighten the bolt you have an aluminum pan and you could strip out the threads. Next undo the oil filter. Oil will come out of the filter when unscrewing it, so make sure the oil container is below it. Also turn the oil filter upside down to drain the oil out of it and into the container. Once the oil is drained from the oil filter location, whipe the area clean. Take your new oil filter and pour oil into it untill it is almost filled. This will take a couple of trys since it will drain to the bottom of the filter. Also put a dab of oil on your finger and run it around the oil filter rubber seal, just enough for a thin coat. Next screw the filter back onto the engine, you can use the wrench to tighten it just dont go overboard and make it too tight, you will have to take it off later for future oil changes. Now just add the oil to the engine and your ready to go. If you still not sure you can go to the local autoparts store and buy a repair manual or if the book is open then you can look up the section on oil changes to see how it is done. Just make sure you look at the duratec engine and not the zetec engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_07ninja View Post
my car's weight is 2546lb w/ me in the car and some crap in my pants.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:43 PM   #5
Lil PZEV
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 242
What I Drive: 2003 TwiBlue 2.3 ZX3

FF Reputation: 15 Lil PZEV Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
The nice thing is the Duratec filter is in an awfully convenient location for removal!

And I have to be the dumbest person alive, I somehow forgot that you drain most of the oil via drain plug first, instead of the filter Clearly I haven't done my own oil yet, I think I woulda learned that lesson quick!
Old 05-21-2007, 08:57 PM   #6
qbert442
FoFo Quebec!

Fan#: 21591
What I Drive: 2002 Liquid Grey ZX3 MTX

FF Reputation: 7 qbert442 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
Nobody's dumb if they simply don't know.
You're dump if you still don't know after 10 times

The Beatles were singing "All you need is Love". Partying with friends is Fun. You'll find both in a Focus : Love & Fun!
Old 05-22-2007, 10:51 PM   #7
warneej
BodyKits=PantiesDrop

Fan#: 20372
What I Drive: 04 ZX3 D23E-10SES Sedan-12 Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 200 warneej Excellent Standing Memberwarneej Excellent Standing Memberwarneej Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
p.s. don't use the filter wrench to tighten the filter, you only need to tighten it a 1/4 turn after it has made contact with the base....

and if you are going to use a full synthetic oil such as castrol syntec or mobil 1 you CANNOT use a motorcraft filter or fram or anything that is a paper filter element... the only ones that actually filter synthetic oil (and are sold at stores) are a Mobil1 or a K&N oil filter due to the composite filter element.

Motorcraft filters are designed for semi-synthetic motorcraft oil, which is a conventional oil with sythetic additives, which is a far cry from a full synthetic

173.4whp
gump
crew #6
Old 05-22-2007, 10:59 PM   #8
cayres
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 35184
What I Drive: 03 Comp Orange EAP SVT, 06 ZX3 SES

FF Reputation: 8 cayres Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
and for the drain plug im pretty sure its a 13mm not a 15mm, but dont quote me i remember it being that when i did my last change on my dura but i dont drive it often so its been like almost a year.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:02 PM   #9
raulfsa11
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 45601
What I Drive: 2000 Focus ZX3 White

FF Reputation: 11 raulfsa11 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
well...
I have been using WIX oil filter for my car, is that good or bad, cause I use synthetic Mobil 1
Old 05-22-2007, 11:03 PM   #10
MattZX3
Detailing Freak

Fan#: 30258
What I Drive: 2012 Nero Black, Fiat 500 Sport

FF Reputation: 23 MattZX3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
well, when i do oil changes, i use a WIX filter, AMSOIL oil, and about 15-20 minutes of my time... and i have not ramps, so jacking up the car is always fun

just be glad your filter is on the FRONT of the engine, and not the rear of the engine like us zetec guys have...

i remember when i went to change my oil the first time.. i was like WTF!!! why did they put the filter there?

Bookmarks & Social Networks