STS Classing Questions - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > General Racing Chat

General Racing Chat Use this Forum to discuss everything from launching off the line and four wheel drifts, to telling your favorite race tale. (Posting Rules)

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 06:54 PM   #1
LazarusZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 41107
What I Drive: 2002 Malibu Blue Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 LazarusZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
STS Classing Questions

I want to stay in STS, but do everything to the car I can. Suspension is maxed out, so now on to engine.

I can use headers, and I thought I could have an exhaust, but now I'm not so sure.

Will this set-up be STS legal?

SVT header
Hi-Flow Cat
Focus Sport Steal Exhaust

This setup should pass emissions, which STS requires, but the hi-flow cat? STX for sure, but STS? I really hope this is legal. If not, should I just get a shorty header, keep the focus cat, and still get the exhaust? I read the rules, but I'm still not sure.

Also, I heard that Civic guys with EXs can upgrade to all Si parts and still stay in their class. Can I upgrade to SVT header and cat? What about the SVT brakes? Both are the same make and model of car, jut the SVT is a special edition. Can I put SVT parts on my ZX3 and stay STS legal?

I really don't want to be bumped into SM or something like that. I want to own STS.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2007, 07:14 PM   #2
miniboon
Dehawkified

Fan#: 35233
What I Drive: 2005 Impreza 2.5 RS

FF Reputation: 42 miniboon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
14.10D says that headers can be replaced with alternates that are emissions legal. It also refers to section 13.10E, which states "any part of the exhaust system beyond (downstream from) the header/manifold or catalytic converter, if so equipped, may be substituted provided the system meets the requirements of 3.5. Stainless steel heat exchangers are permitted only if physical dimensions and configuration remain unchanged. Modifications of any type, including additions to or removal of, the catalytic converter, thermal reactors, or any other pollution control devices in the exhaust system are not allowed and the system must be operable. Replacement Catalytic converters must be OE if the vehicle has not exceeded the five-year/50,000 mile warranty period as mandated by the EPA. Converters must be of the same type and size and used in the same location as the original equipment converter(s). This DOES NOT ALLOW FOR A HIGH PERFORMANCE UNIT. if the vehicle has exceeded the 5 year/50,000 mile warranty period, replacement catalytic converters must be OE-type as per section 13. (what it refers to is "the allowances are strictly to allow components to be replaced from alternate sources other than the original manufacturer. They should not be construed as an allowance to replace components with those which could be considered a 'higher performance' alternative.") I think this should answer you question, NO HF cat, the head is ok, and as long as the exhaust is a straight replacement (pipes arent bigger or anything) then its ok
all of this can be found in the rules, they are pretty straight forward.
    Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2007, 07:16 PM   #3
miniboon
Dehawkified

and in terms of upgrading to SVT.......
you can (even in straight stock class) upgrade your car to any other model made in THAT YEAR ONLY. also, the upgrade must be COMPLETE. you can't put certain parts on and not others. That being said, you can still get away with the header, but if you want to put any other SVT parts on (like the brakes for example), you will probably have to go all the way to stay in STS....I also have no clue about switching to the SVT cat....i think that would have to include a full svt swap to be ok
Old 05-16-2007, 07:21 PM   #4
miniboon
Dehawkified

My last comment would be, why are you trying to stay in STS? If you have mods that put you outside of STS, don't cheat yourself and other drivers by sneaking past the system. The classes are there to equalize the cars so that you are only competing against other drivers, the cars are supposed to be equal. If you want to upgrade your car, upgrade your class. thats my advice, ignore it if you want.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:48 AM   #5
LazarusZX3
Focus Enthusiast

hehe, miniboon is following me from post to post.

As of right now, I have no mods that that would take me out of STS. I meet the maximum requirement for suspension, and I want to meet the maximum requirement for everything else. By getting the best of everything for STS, I can be competitive with other STS cars. If I put on just a few things that disqualify me from STS, I'll be in league with much better, faster cars. I want an STS super machine. Most of the guys around here are in STS. I don't plan on putting on parts that would be cheating, only parts that are exactly those allowed by STS regulations.

Maybe I'll go full SVT exchange. Are SVTs in STS as well?
Old 05-17-2007, 07:48 AM   #6
Egz
Sückn' n Blown

Fan#: 442
What I Drive: 2003 2.3l ZX3

FF Reputation: 111 Egz Excellent Standing Member Egz Excellent Standing Member
I'm sorry, but you cannot upgrade a Focus completely to a SVT, as they were technically two different product lines. The upgrade only applies to trim levels, like from Power to Power Premium, or to S2.

And if you were going to up to a SVT, you would need everything. Engine, transmission, springs, shocks, bumpers, spoiler, seats, interior pieces, steering wheel, etc... By the time you are done, you are just better off buying a SVT.

(And yes, SVTs are allowed in STS)
Old 05-17-2007, 08:14 AM   #7
miniboon
Dehawkified

I'm an SVT in STS, and I do agree about trying to get the most out of the class, i don't know why that last post was so hostile, probably cause i spent like 10 minutes typing all those rules.....hah.....
Old 05-20-2007, 12:53 AM   #8
LazarusZX3
Focus Enthusiast

haha! A bone stock SVT already has the jump on my car (except suspension).

The rules are to make it more fair, yet by starting with a ZX3 I'm already behind. A stock RSX will (and most definitely has) taken me to school.

So to conclude, I either need to buy a Miata or just focus and getting better at driving, not winning. (neons are still my , heh heh)
Old 05-20-2007, 12:56 AM   #9
LazarusZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egz View Post
I'm sorry, but you cannot upgrade a Focus completely to a SVT, as they were technically two different product lines. The upgrade only applies to trim levels, like from Power to Power Premium, or to S2.

And if you were going to up to a SVT, you would need everything. Engine, transmission, springs, shocks, bumpers, spoiler, seats, interior pieces, steering wheel, etc... By the time you are done, you are just better off buying a SVT.

(And yes, SVTs are allowed in STS)

ah sweet! I'm pretty sure the S2 spoiler is good for 10whp!!!11!!one!1!!!

Too bad I can't just get random parts off the SVT. I still don't see how the SVT difference from the ZX3 is different than the Si from the base civic.
Closed Thread

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.