Forced Induction Cam Thread - Page 5 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-18-2007, 05:23 PM   #41
turbozetec
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 28647
What I Drive: 02, Sonic Blue, SVT

FF Reputation: 3 turbozetec Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
I think Tom pretty much said he has tested many of the cams out there and they only gave up 4-10hp over stocks.
SVT Squad #163
Build #3506
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2007, 12:21 AM   #42
fusi0n
Focus Addict

Fan#: 25694
What I Drive: 2002 Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 5 fusi0n Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatMostFeared View Post
I understand why spend $300-$400 for 5-10 hp

I want my rpm range to be 3000-7000 rpm

I have Crower stage 2s right now new in the box
and I'm building a motor I dont want to take the
cams out of my stock because I'm going to leave it the way it is.
So if I use stock cams I'll have to buy some.What do stock cams cost.

I bought both crane cams for $219
I'll trade you my stock cams for the Cranes.
Old 05-19-2007, 07:43 PM   #43
focusedaddiction
2focusedracing

Fan#: 23787
What I Drive: 2003 sangria red 5spd. ZX3Turbo

Points 2,448, Level 29
Points: 2,448, Level: 29 Points: 2,448, Level: 29 Points: 2,448, Level: 29
Level Up 99% Completed
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 4 focusedaddiction Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
nevermind
_/\_/\_SCCA_/\_/\_SM #74_/\_/\_BRING ON THE CONES!...zetec crew #74
ZX3..underpressure
tuning by TOM

Last edited by focusedaddiction; 07-11-2007 at 07:37 PM.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:03 AM   #44
Yel900rr
Focus Addict

Fan#: 2792
FF Reputation: 15 Yel900rr Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by K Dog View Post
The cam industry is a huge mutli million dollar business filled with companies like Crane, Comp, Crower, VT, Isky, Lunati, etc. Its one of the largest sectors of the automotive aftermarket. Cams are an enormous affector of engine air flow. I open my 674 page Crane catalog here and its FILLED with blower and turbo cams. That tells me there "could be something" to this. (insert sarcasm)

I guess my experience with terminator Cobras (Crower 30HP) Blown 5.0's (could be tons! Theres a million cammed and blown 5.0s!), DSM's (HKS Cams - 30HP), SRT-4's (Crane splits - 40 HP with gears), etc, etc, etc...

Theres definitely power to made with cams in FI cars! Stock Focus cams are meant to optimize fuel economy and emissions on an NA car. NOT for a turbo. They are better than sticking most hot NA cams in, yes, but not optimized by any means.

You read to many magazines. What experience do you really have. You state you put cams in that you FEEL will make better power. Cam companies make stuff and sell but it doesn't mean it works. Maybe with there setup of what they tested with. Maybe emission cams work very well with a car that is not stock anymore. Do you have a clue about complete combinations and understanding flow numbers? Just because Fastrax does something doesn't mean it will work for you. He is in another league. His setups are not close to what you build. You keep try'in to put yourself on some kind of pedestal. Wake up.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:35 PM   #45
besthaticouldo
i wear no pants

Fan#: 26970
What I Drive: '11 OBP WRX Sedan

FF Reputation: 104 besthaticouldo Excellent Standing Member besthaticouldo Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yel900rr View Post
You read to many magazines. What experience do you really have. You state you put cams in that you FEEL will make better power. Cam companies make stuff and sell but it doesn't mean it works. Maybe with there setup of what they tested with. Maybe emission cams work very well with a car that is not stock anymore. Do you have a clue about complete combinations and understanding flow numbers? Just because Fastrax does something doesn't mean it will work for you. He is in another league. His setups are not close to what you build. You keep try'in to put yourself on some kind of pedestal. Wake up.
wow well put.
remember that building a car shouldn’t come from parts it should come from deep inside your soul. let the car speak for all the emotions, memories and experiences youve made and the car will take a life of its own. truth over fame.
Old 05-20-2007, 03:56 PM   #46
HotRodWagon
CostraNostraTabasco

Fan#: 145
What I Drive: 02 Infra ZTW

Points 16,394, Level 82
Points: 16,394, Level: 82 Points: 16,394, Level: 82 Points: 16,394, Level: 82
Level Up 9% Completed
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 25 HotRodWagon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (38)
Ray,

What has your experience been so far with FI cams? I'm not so much concerned with large power increase figures as I am with what effect they have on the power band and tuning?
Old 05-20-2007, 06:25 PM   #47
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 51,296, Level 100
Points: 51,296, Level: 100 Points: 51,296, Level: 100 Points: 51,296, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 29%
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Quote:
The cam industry is a huge mutli million dollar business filled with companies like Crane, Comp, Crower, VT, Isky, Lunati, etc. Its one of the largest sectors of the automotive aftermarket. Cams are an enormous affector of engine air flow. I open my 674 page Crane catalog here and its FILLED with blower and turbo cams. That tells me there "could be something" to this. (insert sarcasm)

I guess my experience with terminator Cobras (Crower 30HP) Blown 5.0's (could be tons! Theres a million cammed and blown 5.0s!), DSM's (HKS Cams - 30HP), SRT-4's (Crane splits - 40 HP with gears), etc, etc, etc...

Theres definitely power to made with cams in FI cars! Stock Focus cams are meant to optimize fuel economy and emissions on an NA car. NOT for a turbo. They are better than sticking most hot NA cams in, yes, but not optimized by any means.
First we ARE NOT working on Mustangs here maybe that is where your confusion is coming into play and your 674 pages of Crane "parts" offer little to nothing for the Focus lets stop trying to impress the people that dont know with BS that I and others can see through , I could care less what you or anyone can do with Mustangs here because this is a Focus Forum , I thought you guys where the Focus Pro`s

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 05-20-2007, 06:34 PM   #48
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Points 51,296, Level 100
Points: 51,296, Level: 100 Points: 51,296, Level: 100 Points: 51,296, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 29%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
OK. Lets look at why we added a turbo. More air, right? Well... Lets let more of it in! Thats what a cam is all about! There isnt a question in my mind that a properly selected camshaft will do so. When I build my engines, I grab cams that I feel will improve my power output based on specs and have been very happy thus far.

Anyone who has ever done Zetec cams knows that swapping cams takes some time to do properly due to the Zetecs lashing method. So I havent back to backed them. Fastrax did and made great power. Cool!

I also think my forged rods work great but I didnt get out a Rockwell tester or something and test them before I tossed em in. I just used logic. It a vast improvement over the OE stuff that wasnt designed for my intended use. Nuff said.
The problem isnt people are not "properly selecting" a cam. The problem is the cams out there offer little in HP/TQ gains VS the cost

compareing Fastrax to the majority of the People here modding there Focus is like compareing Nascar with your local track racers

Whats a vast improvement ? You have nothing to back up what you stated in another thread you knew for a "Fact" I have yet to see anything to back that or much of anything else you say up , The intake manifold , crank , block , none of the other engine parts were designed for your intended use either but your using them , going by that "logic" we should change everything ?

Tom

Customer Support

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 05-20-2007, 06:40 PM   #49
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Points 51,296, Level 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 29%
Quote:
True, but I drew my conclusions not from manufacturers statements but from anylysis of profiles vs stock. :)
So now your saying you have analyzed all FI cams out there was this done on a dyno where you can see how each respong to the raised durations and overlaps and centerlines or sitting there saying . Hay this one has more lift it has to let more air in ?

Tom

Customer Support

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 05-20-2007, 06:44 PM   #50
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Points 51,296, Level 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 29%
Quote:
I myself would rather make more HP from efficiency than just crank up the boost and put more stress on the motor.
This one I liked the best of all , You would rather spend the customers money (350.00+) on a Can that adds less HP then just adding 1psi of boost and are you saying IF the cams added 10HP to equal the 10HP from the 1psi more boost the stress wouldnt be the same ? Stress (250HP) is stress (250HP) Dont matter where it comes from

Is this the guy you want building and working on your stuff ? ? ? ? ?

The Focus Pros ? ?

Tom

Customer Support

Elder 1turbofocus

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.