Forced Induction Cam Thread - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-17-2007, 05:23 PM   #21
CatMostFeared
FocusXtreme

Fan#: 20987
What I Drive: Wicked 2000 Turbo Zx3

FF Reputation: 20 CatMostFeared Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
Jon sent me a pm saying

Quote:
Stage 2 Comp cam for the exhaust, and a newer Crower stage 2 cam for intake. My overlap is about 8-10 degrees. I will probably be changing them to either the Comp 2 or old Crower 2 intake with Comp 2 or stock exhaust cam because I will be not boosting over 18 psi. That way power will be alittle better down low and at less pressure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2007, 05:24 PM   #22
700whpfocus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 40899
What I Drive: 2000 zx3 twillight blue focus

FF Reputation: 2 700whpfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
fr3 cams on boost? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
these are not as aggressive as svt cams.........how would it do on boost..with a ztec focus
Old 05-17-2007, 05:32 PM   #23
CatMostFeared
FocusXtreme

you dont know until you try it.
It might 20 hp or it could be 5 hp
might make it spool slow and mad crazy on top.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:47 AM   #24
K Dog
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 23554
What I Drive: Car

FF Reputation: 10 K Dog Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (18)
Dont want ot give this up, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus
I have tested the stock against the FR1 , FR2 , FR3 and about 6 other cams out there
OK. So you saying I dont have emperical data, which you claim to have. Shut me up. Post it.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:21 AM   #25
K Dog
FF Affiliate

The cam industry is a huge mutli million dollar business filled with companies like Crane, Comp, Crower, VT, Isky, Lunati, etc. Its one of the largest sectors of the automotive aftermarket. Cams are an enormous affector of engine air flow. I open my 674 page Crane catalog here and its FILLED with blower and turbo cams. That tells me there "could be something" to this. (insert sarcasm)

I guess my experience with terminator Cobras (Crower 30HP) Blown 5.0's (could be tons! Theres a million cammed and blown 5.0s!), DSM's (HKS Cams - 30HP), SRT-4's (Crane splits - 40 HP with gears), etc, etc, etc...

Theres definitely power to made with cams in FI cars! Stock Focus cams are meant to optimize fuel economy and emissions on an NA car. NOT for a turbo. They are better than sticking most hot NA cams in, yes, but not optimized by any means.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:26 AM   #26
nate2006
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 35913
What I Drive: 2000 Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 4 nate2006 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I think we are talking Ford Focus only...all of us here are trying to justify spending more money when we can just blow a little harder and get the same results.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:36 AM   #27
K Dog
FF Affiliate

OK. Lets look at why we added a turbo. More air, right? Well... Lets let more of it in! Thats what a cam is all about! There isnt a question in my mind that a properly selected camshaft will do so. When I build my engines, I grab cams that I feel will improve my power output based on specs and have been very happy thus far.

Anyone who has ever done Zetec cams knows that swapping cams takes some time to do properly due to the Zetecs lashing method. So I havent back to backed them. Fastrax did and made great power. Cool!

I also think my forged rods work great but I didnt get out a Rockwell tester or something and test them before I tossed em in. I just used logic. It a vast improvement over the OE stuff that wasnt designed for my intended use. Nuff said.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:45 AM   #28
cayres
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 35184
What I Drive: 03 Comp Orange EAP SVT, 06 ZX3 SES

FF Reputation: 8 cayres Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
see now i would really like to see any kind of data on cams...i have a svt and as many know has a pretty aggressive cam to begin with but if cams could add some power i would def be willing to throw some in. I think that we should try to dig up some dynos and what not or hell even do a comparison dyno and show it...i know that cams take forever to put in and get going properly but if either one of your companies or anyones companies would show dynos backing up gains that WORTH the money im sure a lot more of us would install a set of cams. I think the reason that most or some are a little scepticle is because it is such a big job that requires percision that most dont have so they are unwilling to go off of word or theory and put them in. Thats all im saying and dont confuse any of this with bashing or taking sides that you companies which there so few compared to other car brands that support the focus should do some testing on cams...if not just for sales but for better information for the whole focus community.
Thanks for reading
Chris
Old 05-18-2007, 11:27 AM   #29
CatMostFeared
FocusXtreme

Well said Chris, most of us will take the word of are engine builder and some don't.I love to listen and learn and that why we all have question.Combo of cams might work best and stock cams might work best if so I just want to unstand why

but like Tom says (use a Deg. wheel to know for a fact that the cams are installed properly so -2 could end up meaning anything from 0 to +/- as much as 0/4 Deg) someone could install stock cams and they could be off -2 or +1 Deg.

Like K Dog says (Cam company's spend a lot of time, research and money
it would be hard to believe that they might just say hey that cam would be good for FI cars also look at the numbers) But I work at a big company I've seen it happen 100x times.

Remember keep this as a discussion not a fight
Old 05-18-2007, 11:45 AM   #30
K Dog
FF Affiliate

True, but I drew my conclusions not from manufacturers statements but from anylysis of profiles vs stock. :)

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->