need advice on new car - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-22-2004, 10:12 AM   #1
dascro
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 6715
FF Reputation: 1 dascro Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
need advice on new car

Hi guys, I'm planning on buying a car within the next month or so and I'm wondering what advice do you have for me. How does the zx3 focus compare to a civic and a cav. i hate the styling of the new cavaliers but the ecotec engine is supposed to be really easy to mod and make good power. and the civics must be good for modifying since they are quite common. This car will be my daily driver but i only drive about 3 miles to work and within 2 years i plan on adding some kind of forced induction. Are they any turbo kits out for the focus? I know this a focus message board so it will be biased but any advice you can give me would be apperciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2004, 10:24 AM   #2
microtonal
FF #1 Most Wanted

Fan#: 470
What I Drive: 2012 GTI, 2014 Forester XT

FF Reputation: 12 microtonal Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Welcome.

If your getting new, get a Focus with the 2.3L PZEV Duratec engine.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:27 AM   #3
BlkZX3

Fan#: 473
What I Drive: El Huevo Negro

FF Reputation: 1 BlkZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy a civic if you want to be like everyone else out there.

The cavalier no longer exists as a new car...say hello to the cobalt.

I agree though, Focus with the 2.3L Duratec will blow them all away out of the box.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:31 AM   #4
munkyv22
Focus Addict

Fan#: 4376
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 munkyv22 Good Standing Member
If you buy a civic, you will be dealt with quite harshly.

"Honda engines are stamped with the words 'Chuck Norris' on the block, making them much stronger than American engines."
Old 04-22-2004, 12:32 PM   #5
Seb656
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 2059
What I Drive: SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Seb656 Good Standing Member
Ok here the honest truth

Honda Civic - is a great econo car and will last you forever mods are cheap and they can be fast if you do it right many civic tuners have the 2 Fast 2 Furious attitude of underglow and flames on their car make it fast If you know what your doing the Civic is a good tuner car only thing is literaly everyone and there mom has one

Cavalier - is ugly if you ask me and Im not a big fan of chevy I wouldn't get it just cause thats not my kind of car and i don't know much about it

Focus - it is more expensive to mod and less reliable then the civic but its also more original of a tuner car and a more fun car to drive. honestly the only car I've found to be more fun then my focus is the Subaru WRX (just cause of the turbo an AWD)

There are turbo kits out for the focus if you get a ZX3 tom is coming out with a turbo kit for around 3500 that will give you somewhere around 220hp if I am correct which could make it a fun little toy

"Nitrous is like a hot chick with STDs... You wanna hit it, but you‘re afraid of the consequences."

My SVT Focus is #677 of 3985
Old 04-22-2004, 12:38 PM   #6
iH8rice
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 2387
What I Drive: '02 pitch black SVT

FF Reputation: 1 iH8rice Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
go with the focus man. i have the SVTf and if i had it to do over again i would have bought a used zx3 and built an engine w/forced induction it would have been more cost savy for me in the long run. but as long as you don't become civic owning statistic [ fart can and stickers]
Old 04-22-2004, 01:04 PM   #7
Infra3sv
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 745
What I Drive: '03 hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Infra3sv Good Standing Member
If you want something fast stay away from economy cars. Get a Camaro Z28, Mustang GT, or Eclipse or something that was made for acceleration. If you want something that can stick to the road get a Focus.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:07 PM   #8
Infra3sv
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 745
What I Drive: '03 hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Infra3sv Good Standing Member
The 2.3 is capable of low 14s with bolt-ons. the 2.3 is available in the Mazda 3 with variable valve timing. There isn't any forced induction kits out yet for the 2.3.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:28 PM   #9
EnigmaZV
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 66
What I Drive: 2004 Black ZX3 Premium

FF Reputation: 1 EnigmaZV Good Standing Member
:) Yeah, I'd look at the Mazda 3 if I were getting a new car right now.
Old 04-22-2004, 03:28 PM   #10
dascro
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 6715
FF Reputation: 1 dascro Good Standing Member
Yeah I realize that a mustang or z28 would be faster but I live in a snowy region and don't want to deal with rear wheel drive in the winter, plus I'd prefer to buy new so i get the warrenty. I definatly like the focus most out of the cars in my price range, I'm just worried about the perfromance of the 130 hp motor until i get the turbo. Has anyone heard of any plans of anyone making a 2.3 turbo kit. Also with simple bolt ons such as Cold air intake, cat back exhaust, computer chip etc. will i be faster than most older civics, cavaliers and neons i see driving around here.

Bookmarks & Social Networks